Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Doom 3 'BFG Edition'

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Doom 3 'BFG Edition'

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 12:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/30/doom- ... fall-with/

Quote:
Are you experiencing a dearth of Doom? id Software is worried about just that possibility, as evidenced by today's announcement of Doom 3 "BFG Edition." Doom 3 is getting remastered and repackaged, with the "Resurrection of Evil" expansion and seven brand new levels, which id are wrapping up as "The Lost Mission."

Beyond remastering graphics, id's also adding Achievements, Trophies, and 3D. In the gameplay department, a "new check point save system" is being added, and the ever-frustrating flashlight issue is being resolved with "the new armor-mounted flashlight." If that weren't enough, the BFG Edition includes both Doom 1 and 2, so you can truly vanquish every single last demon in all of the space hells, all in one package. Finally!

Hmmmmm might check this out if the price is right

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pass

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 01:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah if they're selling for a decent price I'm definitely interested

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 01:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very cool. I'm quite interested. I actually enjoyed Doom 3 and was thinking to myself just a couple days ago that the game would be better if everything didn't look like it was made of plastic.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 01:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

meh....can't say I'm super excited. They wouldn't even bother doing this if it was gonna be cheap. Obviously they feel D3 was overlooked on last gen's consoles and they want to see if they'll have better luck with the current generation. I didn't hate the game, but I'm not a fan of "do-overs" and think it should be discouraged. I'll stick with Dead Space.
Side note: didn't I read that they're re-releasing Quake4 too?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 02:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh, just fuck off already id. If you're not willing to compete in today's market, and rather reminisce on your previous achievements (doom3 was hardly and achievement mind you) then just lock your doors, and compensate everyone with a rolex while you still can.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 02:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No doubt, Doom 3 was both hardly and achievement.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 02:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doom 3 was great, but this attempt by id to revive it is about 8 years too late. They should be focused on making a great game with Doom 4 to make up for all their recent shortcomings.

Tsakali wrote:
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

^^cartoon depiction of a Greek man checking his bank balance.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 05:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What if you already own Doom 1, Doom 2, Final Doom, Doom 3 and Doom Resurrection? I hope they at least offer a discount for a patch with the new content for Doom 3/Resurrection.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 05:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
What if you already own Doom 1, Doom 2, Final Doom, Doom 3 and Doom Resurrection? I hope they at least offer a discount for a patch with the new content for Doom 3/Resurrection.

It's definitely just a current gen console cash grab, I don't think they really have pc players in mind. Maybe Doom3 and Rage combined can sell as much as many copies they were hoping Rage would. I know it's not coincidence they're doing this before Doom 4, but there's no reason they can't just make Doom3 a cheap downloadable title before Doom 4 if getting people to play doom 3 is their primary goal without repackaging it and likely charging $40-$60.

edit: by the way, here's the q4 re-release info. Apparently beating the same ip over and over beyond death wasn't enough and now they're literally beating the same games to death.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nothing new (literally) from id.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

commander keen 3d plz

fu john

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-30-2012 08:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Nothing new (literally) from id.

lol. If it ends up being a reasonable price I'll stick my foot in my mouth. But the fact that the Quake4 re-release isn't coming with any updates (or at least not any announced ones) and they're going to charge $19.99 for a game you can find in bargain bins for $4.99 doesn't bode well. Combine that with the fact that Doom 3 is actually being updated, new maps are being made, and it comes with the expansion pack....I'd be surprised if it's anything less than $39.99 and wouldn't surprise me if it was $59.99 which is a complete joke. and a complete cash grab when they can just make d3 a $9.99 downloadable title and probably get more people to play it before doom 4. Besides, if it was going to be a reasonable price that's something they'd advertise and a polished turd is still a turd.

like most people on this forum, growing up playing pc games I loved id. But the fact is they haven't made a good game since q3 which was over a decade ago. this whole business of re-releasing games (not even good ones) for some extra money between new games is a new low.

4 hour edit: lol, I won't make a new post for this, but re-reading my posts I made earlier is kinda embarrassing. I shouldn't really care that much. I've been sick (like death seems like it'd be a sweet, sweet release sick) and been cooped up in my bedroom without being able to spend much time with my family in order to try to keep them as healthy as possible so I've been kinda restless and ornery. Haha, I miss spending time with my daughter and my baby's mama. Sorry guys. I guess it's cool they're remastering an old game and sounds like they took some of the original criticism towards d3 to heart. And in regards to quake 4, which I realize I brought up out of left field, maybe re-releasing it will give its multiplayer some legs.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-31-2012 04:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think Bethesda is to blame for these re-releases, not id Software.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-31-2012 04:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I think Bethesda is to blame for these re-releases, not id Software.

Correct

Rage didn't sell as they wanted so thy are trying to recoup their spendings and priming people for Doom 4

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-31-2012 04:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
I will buy it (for a fiver in a steam sale).

Not at all then. As I understand it this is a PS3/Xbox 360 release only.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-31-2012 04:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am officially not interested in this.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-31-2012 04:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-31-2012 04:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am officially slightly interested in this.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-31-2012 08:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol virtual reality.
fuck off id :up:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 06-01-2012 07:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I personally loved DOOM 3. I will wait to see what the "remastered" graphics look like (this term in the games industry often alludes to a negligible increase in fidelity) and the price point. But yeah, I'm open to giving them money for this.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-02-2012 06:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
commander keen 3d plz

^ This. I would pay for a new Commander Keen game.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-03-2012 05:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
lol virtual reality.
fuck off id :up:

Its Doom 3 stock pc textures/models... But with compression. So yeah, stick to PC :(

Interested in the new missions though.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-03-2012 07:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How do yo know this o'dium?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-03-2012 02:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Because I was bought up with the ability to look at shit? :p

Check the damn trailer, its stock doom 3 textures etc, but you can tell its using .dds compression due to the banding?

Caaaaaaaaaaaam oooooowwwwwwwwwn!

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-03-2012 02:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm sure for the PC version they're just including user-created high-res textures, not sure though.

And it's ironic that o'dium is commenting on this after he was caught stealing id's Enemy Territory textures, assets, and maps.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-03-2012 11:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this is asking for a drama-enducing link.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-04-2012 12:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-04-2012 12:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Because I was bought up with the ability to look at shit? :p

Check the damn trailer, its stock doom 3 textures etc, but you can tell its using .dds compression due to the banding?

Caaaaaaaaaaaam oooooowwwwwwwwwn!

Well it is the same game just with higher res textures, so yeah, I guess they are the same of sorts...
How you are able to tell the resolution from a video on YouTube is truely exceptional though. Good work :up: :up: :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-04-2012 12:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah and o'dium can tell what form of texture compression was used from a video that has been heavily compressed with a video compression algorithm.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-04-2012 12:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Yeah and o'dium can tell what form of texture compression was used from a video that has been heavily compressed with a video compression algorithm.

He's the man! :up: :up: :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-04-2012 12:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
NO DISAPPEARING CORPSES

I did not notice this... :cool:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-04-2012 02:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You guys :wub:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-06-2012 07:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol Carmack. He's doing his freestyle nerding again :)

http://kotaku.com/5916210/carmack-being ... est-people

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.