Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Yay for Bill Nye!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Yay for Bill Nye!

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 09:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Apparently he doesn't think too much of Creationism. :olo:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/2 ... -page-125/

I have NEVER understood why people are so eager to remain mired in ignorance and espouse theories like Creationism and Young Earth, etc., I just don't get it. I'm not just talking about mouth-breathing trailer park denizens, either. I've met a few smart people that cling to Creationism, makes ZERO sense to me.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i heard creationists think radiometric dating is the devil incarnate...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bill Nye has the balls to go into the den of the beast, Fox News, and shit right down their throats or go toe to toe with Bill O'Pinhead. :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 09:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It is a miracle of divine proportions: Nightshade and GKY are posting in the same thread, not calling each other a moron and are actually agreeing on something. Hallelujah!

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 09:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i thought bill nye did this before, even giving lectures on schools where creationism was taught.

i remember an anecdote where parents would remove their children to shield them from this arcane thing called 'science' for it is surely cursed.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
I've met a few smart people that cling to Creationism, makes ZERO sense to me.

Because Bible.

When you live your life completely and absolutely by a dogma, anything that contradicts it has the potential to invalidate your entire existence.

"Man was created in God's image." Impossible if we're the product of evolution. The only middle ground would be to say that these were revisions and he finally "got it right" when he made us. However, that would imply fallibility - he didn't get it right the first time.

These aren't rational people you're talking about. Even the smart ones. They are irrational, and in my opinion, not right in the head. If religion didn't have so much power, it would simply be classified as a psychological disorder. Belief you can communicate (prayer) to an invisible being? Belief that there is a plan in place for your life, which dictates your experiences? These are delusions. Sounds more like schizophrenia than anything.

Any religion that worships a being is a product of human psychology, and can't be countered with logic or rationality because it does not adhere to them.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
It is a miracle of divine proportions: Nightshade and GKY are posting in the same thread, not calling each other a moron and are actually agreeing on something. Hallelujah!

Pot meet kettle. ;)

Eraser wrote:
Dude, chill.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 10:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
"Denial of evolution is unique to the United States," Nye begins in a YouTube video posted on Thursday.

for a 'science guy', a complete untruth isn't the best place to start...

Wikipedia wrote:
However, the percentage of people in the USA who accept the idea of evolution declined from 45% in 1985, to 40% in 2005.[92] A Gallup poll reported that percentage of people in the US who believe in a strict interpretation of creationism had fallen to 40% in 2010 after a high of 46% in 2006. The highest the percentage has risen between 1982 and 2010 was 47% in 1994 and 2000 according to the report.

[...]

A 2007 study of religious patterns found that only 8% of Egyptians, 11% of Malaysians, 14% of Pakistanis, 16% of Indonesians, and 22% of Turks agree that Darwin's theory is probably or most certainly true, and a 2006 survey reported that about a quarter of Turkish adults agreed that human beings evolved from earlier animal species... Currently in Egypt, evolution is taught in schools but Saudi Arabia and Sudan have both banned the teaching of evolution in schools... In Lebanon, the government excised the teaching of evolution from the public school curriculum in the mid-1990s... Since the 1980s Creationism in Turkey has grown significantly and is now the government's official position on origins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationism

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol I caught that, I *think* the Islamic 'genesis' is open for for interpretation and makes allowances for evolution ?, where the bible gives a step by step guide and any deviation will make it bullshit ?, thought that might be what he was trying to get at anyway ?, obviously the stats you posted say otherwise anyway :)

Last edited by losCHUNK on 08-28-2012 10:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty sure he meant "in the Western world." I don't think anyone is holding their breath for countries like Pakistan or fucking Malaysia to become any more secularized.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well he also mentioned Japan in the same sentence >_0

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 11:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wonder if the people in North Korea are taught evolution or if they're simply told that Fearless Leader © did it in an afternoon of Looking At Things?

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[LOL RACISM] u no Japan is far, far, FAR more-westernized than the other countries that were mentioned.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well he only mentioned Japan and USA ?, so, no :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
I wonder if the people in North Korea are taught evolution or if they're simply told that Fearless Leader © did it in an afternoon of Looking At Things?

Got me thinking especially after viewing those recent videos here :smirk:

feedback wrote:
http://www.vice.com/vice-news/north-korean-labor-camps-part-1

Their documentaries are always so fucking good.

See the others if you get the chance :up:

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 01:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Psyche911 wrote:
Because Bible.

When you live your life completely and absolutely by a dogma, anything that contradicts it has the potential to invalidate your entire existence.

"Man was created in God's image." Impossible if we're the product of evolution. The only middle ground would be to say that these were revisions and he finally "got it right" when he made us. However, that would imply fallibility - he didn't get it right the first time.

These aren't rational people you're talking about. Even the smart ones. They are irrational, and in my opinion, not right in the head. If religion didn't have so much power, it would simply be classified as a psychological disorder. Belief you can communicate (prayer) to an invisible being? Belief that there is a plan in place for your life, which dictates your experiences? These are delusions. Sounds more like schizophrenia than anything.

Any religion that worships a being is a product of human psychology, and can't be countered with logic or rationality because it does not adhere to them.

Oh I know why they do it, it just doesn't make any sense to me. It's a skull-cracking cognitive dissonance for me. Good point about the irrationality, I completely agree. I was not raised in a religious household so I can't understand the brainwashing. A good friend of mine was raised that way and he rebelled eventually and did a 180, hardest drinking fool I've ever met. Well, he used to be, anyways.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 03:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The other sad part about the whole brainwashing issue is that the kids who grow up and decide that they don't like wearing religion-coloured glasses through the rest of their life often have a very hard time adapting to reality. In most cases, their parents are not there to help since they are often the ones who've fucked them over in the first place. There's something deeply pitiful about someone coming out of their shell who lacks an understanding of the most basic tenets of normal life. :disgust:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just in case anyone hasn't seen the vid yet...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 05:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 05:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Well he only mentioned Japan and USA ?, so, no :)

The ones Semencan mentioned.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 05:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the bow tie, totally undermines anything that comes out of that dude's mouth.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-29-2012 08:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

unless it's rainbow-coloured icecream

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-29-2012 09:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-29-2012 09:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Just in case anyone hasn't seen the vid yet...

[flash=1280,720]http://www.youtube.com/v/gHbYJfwFgOU[/flash

Good stuff. Thanks...:up:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-30-2012 04:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Related...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-30-2012 04:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GG Penn. :up:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-30-2012 06:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:smirk:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 08-31-2012 01:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my kids learned lots from those bill nyes ey

theyre young but never to young for science ey!

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 12:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuckin' ey, man!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.