Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Been away from gaming for a while... recommend me some games

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Been away from gaming for a while... recommend me some games

Dead by Dawn
Dead by Dawn
PostPosted: 09-19-2012 02:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi all,

Used to post here a bit but I haven't really been doing much gaming of any kind in the last few years, partly because my old computer was a PPC mac which for gaming purposes pretty much became obsolete years ago, and until now I wasn't able to afford a new computer, and the most recent console I own is a PS2...

Finally got a new machine last week though and I'm looking to get some good games for it. It's a mac, Intel of course, so I can dual boot into Windows as well as Mac OS.

Having not played any for so long I am very out of the loop. The only two games I've gotten for my new setup so far are Bioshock and Skyrim, and I'm loving both of them. Skyrim is a game I had wanted to play ever since I saw ads for it on TV last christmas, even though I am completely new to role-playing type games, and it hasn't disappointed. Bioshock on the other hand is a game that I had heard virtually nothing about but was recommended by a friend, and it is absolutely incredible. I'm not that far into it yet (I don't think) but it really is one of the most interesting games I've ever played.

Other than that the games I have loved in the past include the Marathon series (probably my favourite games of all time), the Quake series and particularly Q3A, Unreal Tournament, Doom 3, Halo (the first one, haven't played any others...) and the first two Turok games on N64... (I told you I was out of the loop!).

So with that being said, can anyone recommend some good new games to get? Either brand new or from the last couple of years.

Thanks in advance.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 09-19-2012 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you liked Marathon then you'll like story. Mass Effect, Deus Ex: HR

Batman: Arkham Asylum / Arkham City both excellent.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 09-19-2012 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck u...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-19-2012 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Steam now runs on Windows and OS X, so even if you don't dual boot, you can get a pretty decent selection of games (still better selection on Windows, though).

Left4Dead 2 (don't bother with the first one, the second includes all the maps from the first game)
Portal 1 & 2
Torchlight 2 (you get the first one for free if you preorder now)
Deus Ex: HR and the Mass Effect series as mentioned above.
Borderlands series
Metro 2033

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 09-19-2012 07:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Darksiders 1 and 2
Bastion
Rage (yea, I said it)
Team Fortress 2
Just Cause 2

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-19-2012 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gran Turismo PSP
Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny (PSP)

The first of those 2 (GT) is pretty amazing, especially since it's on a handheld. Sonme tracks don't display properly on the low res screen, but you can just not play those ones, and it's worth playing for the other tracks and cars.

The gameplay of SC:BD doesn't seem as smooth as in SC1, but they have changed a lot in the game since SC1 and I need to catch up, they said they are making SC5 faster and more like the older games so there should be improvement on its way.

If you get a PS3 you could play:
Gran Turismo 5, which has a load of DLC
Soul Calibur V
Neither of which I've played (I haven't got a PS3), but they seem pretty good.

The latest SC games allow you to create your own characters, so if you don't like the characters already in the game much you can play as your own creations. The limiting factor is they only let you choose two body types; one male and one female, unlike the varying body types for each weapon in the game originally. SC5 has Edge Master back in it, who was previously only in SC1!

Yeah I didn't recommend any FPS for you, but none have really interested me since :q3:. I was into CQ3 in CPMA, but my current PC won't run anything 3D (no graphics card).

One thing that put me off abut Doom3 was it was mostly in the dark unless you were unarmed, holding only the torch ["flashlight" to you probably], while there's a new version that lets you mount it on your gun. So if my PC would run it, I'd check that out maybe. I dunno, cause any game I see as practice for multiplayer (it's all e-sport for me) and no-one plays Doom3 multiplayer. I think I'd give it a go though, someone might want to play the mutiplayer sometime *shrug*. How would the multiplayer go with the new torch[/flashlight] on weapons system?

:q4: had a lame looking run animation that put me off. People stopped playing that game pretty quickly anyway.

Quake Live; you heard about that? It seemed like a good idea for a while but they really fucked it up.

What other FPS games are there than :id: ones? Team Fortress 2, someone said? I have problems with the Scout. Ain't touching that game...

Everything else is a story-driven game, I'm into games from an e-sport perspective, so they have nothing to offer me. I don't mind a game to have a story, I can enjoy it, just when it is the driving force for the game, rather than skill, it ruins it for me.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-19-2012 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quakelive duh

Dead by Dawn
Dead by Dawn
PostPosted: 09-24-2012 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
If you liked Marathon then you'll like story

Yeah that's exactly it. For me, story and atmosphere can sometimes be more important than gameplay.

I think one of the reasons I love Bioshock so much is because it has a lot of the same kind of existential themes that Marathon Infinity looked at (sort of).

On the other hand I'm also not averse to games that are just 100% about gameplay with little to no story, if the gameplay is good enough (ie Q3A).

I'll take a look at those games then, thanks.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-24-2012 02:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I second borderlands series.

Uncharted series is pretty good too.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-24-2012 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I third borderlands.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 12:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Before everyone starts spewing out their favorite game, just check some of the top rated games and pick whatever you like. Maybe check out some game of the year lists of 2011 that various gaming websites have.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 07:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
obsidian wrote:
Borderlands

no

Borderlands 1 itself is quite good, fun to play, varied missions....... the only thing you have to overlook is the fact that they made it the absolute worst console to PC port in the history of gaming... ever. It's a lesson to game developers on what NOT to do if you don't want people to drag you outside by your balls and shoot you in the face. Otherwise, good game and I have this love/hate relationship with it where I really enjoy playing the missions but feel like murdering someone every time I have to navigate the menus, watch a stack of unskippable in-game movies, or having to re-hack the game so that it doesn't feel like I'm viewing the game world with a box over my head. Despite all this, still recommended to play particularly since you should be able to get it for fairly cheap now. /rant

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The slightly less homicide-inducing, fetid-bean&egg-laced-fart-worthy tweaks for Borderlands:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showt ... hp?t=79043

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 10:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
You're smack-bang on. I enjoyed it for a while. But the annoyances stack too high for me to recommend it. I literally can't play it without an hour of dicking with the ini files.

The fact those files are so easily editable is why I stopped playing it. Can't go online without running into people with 1 shot kill weapons or invincible armor. Where's the fun in that? And I was playing a console version!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's not what Memphis and I were talking about. Besides, go get make some friends so that you can play coop with them instead of with random people.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 10:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I realize that isn't what you guys were doing, I'm just saying it's too easy to edit the wrong way. As for friends I rarely have time and only playing with friends shouldn't be a solution to avoid people that cheat online. The game shouldn't be so easily and annoyingly glitched.

I'm not bashing the gameplay or game either. I liked it, it was alright. Not nearly expansive enough though and felt too boxed in. Otherwise I have no gripes with this game.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.