Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So, Torchlight II

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: So, Torchlight II

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 07:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have it and got my berserker to level 3 or 4, but won't get into it until I get fully done/bored with GW2.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 07:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not a D3 fan, but i'll be getting this shortly

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 08:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

off to install

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 08:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yipppi

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 08:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

warez monkey

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 08:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol love how the berserker does the sniff part with the dog beside her

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 08:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

very much like so far :up:

better then the 1st

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 09:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

got a lvl 10 gun dude (forget the class name) but until im done with borderlands 2 its on the back burner. heh its so damn smooth and all the exploding corpses are a nice touch XD

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 09:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have played a few hours so far, but I'm having a hard time getting into it. As I mentioned in the Borderlands 2 thread, D3 and WoW 5.0 have really opened my eyes to a different way to do talents/builds/etc, and Torchlight 2 feels really archaic to me now.

I mean, who the fuck wants to stock up on skill points for several levels and hope that the skill you're saving them for is as good as you'd hoped? It'd fucking better be, because you can't respec untill newgame+, if I understand correctly. Similar situation with allocating your attribute points. You need points.

If the purpose of this approach is a sense of permanence, hence "replayability" (i.e. rerolling all the fucking time) then I don't buy it. Oh, I want to experiment with a new build on my Engineer, guess I have to spend another fucking 30 leveling the same class.

Retarded.

But, it is getting nearly unanimous praise so I'm probably missing something or not giving it a fair shot. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 09:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

na, you can respec

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Another thing. The combat engine and game mechanics of any similar ARPG next to those of Diablo 3 are quite simply pathetic in comparison. This, unfortunately, is true for Torchlight 2 as well.

For all of D3's faults, the pointless max level endgame, infrastructure issues at launch, content balance issues, RMAH, whathaveyou; the one thing they nailed perfectly was the gameplay itself. The look and feel of the combat and the way the game plays is superlative.

I played all the classes to 60, but by far my favourite was the barbarian. Opening combat with a horde of minions, leaping into the middle of the group, the crunch of skeletons under your feet and the thud as you land, the damage numbers popping up, the sheer VISCERALness of it all. Using a ground stomp to round them up and get a moment of breathing room, you can almost feel the ground shaking beneath you. The weight and punch behind every single one of your primary attacks, or using a rage spender for knockback. The attack animations, the player's animations, the sounds, all combine to give you a very real feeling of badassery. The way enemies die, getting flung across the screen with the nutso physics at play, exploding in a cloud of gibs when dying to a crit, the spatter of blood on the floor and walls. The purple glow of the arcane enchantment on the body or gibs, or the green after effects of poison, or the charred remains of massive burns. PHWOAR!

It's similar for other classes. The animation on the spells and skills was phenomenal all around.

Nothing I've seen does it nearly as well as they did in D3. I remember playing the Path of Exile beta and seeing the laughable combat engine. It doesn't matter how well they got the other aspects of the game design, if the combat isn't fun then it's going to be a shit game.

Torchlight 2 isn't quite as bad as PoE, but it's still a very subdued experience compared to D3 combat.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 11:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
na, you can respec

How? Everything I've seen is to the contrary. If you're talking about the "most recent 3 points can be refunded" thing, that hardly stands up to my criticisms, imo.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 11:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

goodie, with coop.
no local tho :[

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 09-25-2012 11:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And yeah, the visceral feeling of D3's combat is really cool. I play a barbarian too, and it's the class I actually cleared all of Inferno with. There's something really magical about that game's skill system, I think. The surface level simplicity of it all, and the underlying depth (really interesting skill combinations and the beautiful elegance of runes) make for some really cool options. And hey, you don't have to reroll the character from scratch when you want to experiment? Who could have ever guessed that'd be an improvement? (duh)

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 09-26-2012 05:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

warez monkey

som; proud racist warez cunt since 1999.
Why do we put up with him again?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-26-2012 06:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So he can tell us about video card driver updates in T&T.

I have a lot of games to play through right now, but I can't wait for multiplayer on Torchlight 2. I'm quite pleased with the first game.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 09-26-2012 06:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yes, quite invaluable indeed :confused:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 09-26-2012 06:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

u jelly ?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 02:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I finally got back into this, and just finished my first playthrough on the berserker. Started an NG+ and still having fun. The Mapworks is such a simple and brilliant idea, and surely will have an impact on longevity.

I still think the combat itself is not as intense or visceral as D3's, but it beats the pants off D3 in many other aspects. First and foremost being that I can play it offline WHENEVER THE FUCK I WANT without disconnection or lag issues. No auction house makes gear upgrades very meaningful and relevant. As a result, things like gambling are a lot of fun as well.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.