Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Anyone into RC helicopters?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Anyone into RC helicopters?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 02:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just ordered me one of these in blue:

It's said to be a bad little fucker, have any of you tried this thing before? (youtube videos of it look damn impressive) and it's a 4 channel system, which is very rare for something that small. Usually all the small ones are 3 channel systems which are a completely diff. experience...watered down in comparison.

I wanted something small so I can fuck around indoors, but something that I can also take outside and let loose. This will be my first rc plane/chopper but I figured a 4 channel system in that small of a package, is probably something pretty special, so I couldn't resist!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

aren't these just expensive man toys you get bored with in an hour?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ask GFY, I think he flies some pretty elaborate ones.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 02:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got a belt-cp carbon edition v2

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

not sure, will let you know :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 03:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

Expensive?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
I've got a belt-cp carbon edition v2

I'm guessing that's a 6 channel? I'm gonna try this small one out and crash it around while I learn, I heard it's close to indestructible, because of it's tiny mass . Then, I'll think about getting something bigger.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 03:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, 3d flyer. Next to impossible to fly.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 11-11-2012 05:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
seremtan wrote:

Expensive?

The one Tsakali posted? No. That's a little dirt-simple one. I was looking at one in the mall the other day that's a bit larger but has tandem rotors for $170. The large, gas-powered ones with a six-channel controller can get VERY expensive. Like, a couple grand expensive.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-12-2012 01:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I doubt you'd fly far outside in the one in that pic. I had one awhile back, just a 3 channel one like you said, with a gyro though and it was a lot of fun until I broke it. Just one too many crashes seemed to kill the motor's power.

but yeah, go outside with it and one gust of wind and that thing is gone. I can't see one that size flying outside unless it's got 4 very high walls next to it.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-12-2012 01:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also... if I was gonna get something for the house nowadays as a completely pointless and just for me gift.

It'd probably be this one.

http://gizmodo.com/5938196/missile+laun ... nd-and-air

By no means anything serious but it looks like fun. If I was a kid I'd be bugging out for one of these.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-12-2012 03:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shut up

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-12-2012 04:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I doubt you'd fly far outside in the one in that pic. I had one awhile back, just a 3 channel one like you said, with a gyro though and it was a lot of fun until I broke it. Just one too many crashes seemed to kill the motor's power.

but yeah, go outside with it and one gust of wind and that thing is gone. I can't see one that size flying outside unless it's got 4 very high walls next to it.

It has a 2.4ghz radio connection which stays solid, so it won't lose connection that easily, up to 80 meters distance and you tube videos shows it flying outdoors - wide open areas with about 5mph winds. sure , it won't be stable but it will stay flying. :up: But to be honest, I got it this small so i can mostly fuck around inside the house.

Also, this thing is pretty solid... just check out this video where it gets thoroughly abused...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1cwsX9ZOZg

bouncing off shit , kicked like a football against walls etc.... keeps going.

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 11-12-2012 04:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-12-2012 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those little fuckers take a beating. :up:

I have a tiny one I fly at work during compiles and even the AC vents can knock it off course. The problem with these types of gyro-based helicopters is the size of the fan blades...they're huge to grab lots of air and fly with low power but due to their fattish nature the blades catch off-axis air all the time. The smaller ones really have a hard time flying outside due to this.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-12-2012 04:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not into RC helicopters.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-12-2012 04:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pics or it didn't happen.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-12-2012 10:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
Pics or it didn't happen.

No, vids or it didn't happen Tsakali :)

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-13-2012 08:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
It has a 2.4ghz radio connection which stays solid, so it won't lose connection that easily, up to 80 meters distance and you tube videos shows it flying outdoors - wide open areas with about 5mph winds. sure , it won't be stable but it will stay flying. :up: But to be honest, I got it this small so i can mostly fuck around inside the house.

Also, this thing is pretty solid... just check out this video where it gets thoroughly abused...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1cwsX9ZOZg

bouncing off shit , kicked like a football against walls etc.... keeps going.

Yeah... I'll wait to hear from you and your experiences outside. :)

Where I live it'd be impossible, it's very windy here, dunno how it is where you're at.

Them taking a beating is fine, but I'll tell you from experience that those beatings slowly warp little parts that eventually cause the helicopter to fail. Mine simply couldn't produce the power it needed to get any lift by the end and I suspect it was because the rotor shaft had been slightly bent, so minute I couldn't even tell where. So be careful with it.

If you've never owned one, buy a cheap one to get used to how they behave because you're going to crash it, I guarentee it. You'll learn fairly quick that walls have this suction ability and will litterally suck the helicopter into it, I'm not making this up btw. :)

Otherwise they're a lot of fun, I had my kids chasing mine from one end of the house to the other I really enjoyed it but it's true what some people here said. You'll play with it a few days then put it aside and never touch it again for a year. Decide to play with it and find out it's too dusty inside to fly or the battery won't keep a charge anymore so enjoy it while it lasts.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.