Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        New 100GB Blu-ray Disc may be used for 4K films

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: New 100GB Blu-ray Disc may be used for 4K films

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 07:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Singulus announced that they have successfully produced a test batch of triple-layer Blu-ray discs. Each layer has been further optimized to store 33GB, up from current Blu-ray's 25GB. The press release specifically mentions 4K movies as a possible use case for the 100GB discs.

http://www.digital-digest.com/news-6375 ... ovies.html

Glad to know we won't have to wait too long for 4K. (There are already 4K TVs on the market, in case you don't know.)

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If someone is excited about 4k and doesn't plan on buying a screen larger than 100 inches, then that person has no clue what 4k is about and how it will not help them if they buy a screen that's only 42 inches.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Depends how close you sit to the screen, plus colour is better with higher resolution, you may notice better colour detail even if you don't notice better pixel resolution detail. (Not sure if you quoted the exact numbers for optimal viewing distance, if so I'm sorry, without citing a source you seem to have just plucked those numbers out of the air.)

Anyway, you are looking at it from a negative viewpoint; the poisitive veiwpoint is that 4K enables screens 4x the size with the same level of detail (scaled up).

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know exactly how 4k works and what benefits it brings, and how it only brings benefits to less than one-tenth of one percent of the mass market audience.
Yes, I am looking at it from a negative viewpoint, because it's a tech that's not really relevant for consumer use.

"Depends how close you sit to the screen"? Yeah...you have no idea what you're talking about and morons like you will waste your money on it. Believe the hype, it's your wallet.

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 10-17-2013 08:04 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Would make 3d viewing better n all, no ?

If that's your thing. I'm not excited and don't see the point either, if it becomes the new standard in a few yrs though it would be better, even marginally.

Last edited by losCHUNK on 10-17-2013 08:05 AM, edited 1 time in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
plus colour is better with higher resolution

:dork:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A quick comparison shows that going from a 35" 1080p screen, a 72" screen would be an upgrade suited to 4K.

http://displaywars.com/35-inch-16x9-vs-72-inch-16x9

So unless you are going to argue that a 35" screen is not good enough for HD (it looks great compared to 576p to me), I think you are mistaken about the screen needing to be 100". Also isn't there a 70-something inch 4K TV on the market; or are they all bigger than that?

I doubt TV manufacturers are going to sell 4K TVs that give the same picture as 1080p TVs, so your concern is misplaced, I think :sly:

obsidian wrote:
DTS wrote:

It is, it's like having more, multicoloured subpixels.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol now he's arguing about HD on small screens...where there's a clear benefit regardless of screen size.

Give it up. You are discussing something you clearly do not understand.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, I do understand. You need glasses. :dork:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 08:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome retort. Based on reality and everything.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 08:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your icon has glasses :olo:

Seriously, though; how can you say that when you quadruple the resolutiuon, quadrupling the screen size is not enough?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 08:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
If someone is excited about 4k and doesn't plan on buying a screen larger than 100 inches, then that person has no clue what 4k is about and how it will not help them if they buy a screen that's only 42 inches.

afaik they don't make them smaller than 55"

I've watched 4k on a 65" from 10ft away and it was very noticeable

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 08:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Your icon has glasses :olo:

Seriously, though; how can you say that when you quadruple the resolutiuon, quadrupling the screen size is not enough?

Just read this and stfu already...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:

No you didn't notice it, GFY knows all about the technology and he says it has to be 100" so you must have been hallucinating :olo:

Seriously, I said 72", you watched 65" and said it was very noticalbe; who's right?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:

Yeah...and with the average 65" 4k screen costing as much as a car, exactly how many consumers do you predict will buy it?

It's a useless tech that only benefits a few....much like the stock market.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
No you didn't notice it, GFY knows all about the technology and he says it has to be 100" so you must have been hallucinating :olo:

Seriously, I said 72", you watched 65" and said it was very noticalbe; who's right?

Keep digging that hole of stupid everyone knows you live in.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 08:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Yeah...and with the average 65" 4k screen costing as much as a car, exactly how many consumers do you predict will buy it?

65" 4k TV's are around $5k now and falling

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR65X850A-6 ... B00ES5YZCW
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65F9000 ... B00DV51DYS
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-65L9300U- ... B00DG0977S

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:

65" 4k TV's are around $5k now and falling

:rolleyes:

How many people buy a 65" television today? At much lower prices than $5k?

Yeah....nobody.

What part of the statement "the average consumer will get no benefit from the new tech" do you not understand?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

in other news: someone on the internet has noticed that new technology often has a high price when launched due to initial shortage of production facilities, need to recoup development costs and uncertainty about the strength of the future market - but hasn't noticed that if/when the market becomes strong, the price tends to fall, often quite dramatically

more at 11

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 09:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

Yeah....nobody.

What part of the statement "the average consumer will get no benefit from the new tech" do you not understand?

Several of my friends run those 90" Mitsubishi DLPs and my projector shoots onto a 120". I'd upgrade to a 4K unit as the price came down but it is pretty much at the bottom on my priority list (unless my 1080P dies).

Last edited by bitWISE on 10-17-2013 09:16 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 09:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

Millions. I mean seriously, maybe not in the slums where you live but the BestBuy around here hardly has any TVs under 50". While I agree that $5k for a 65" is a premium price when you can get a 1080p 65" for around $1500 these days..its definitely not that unreasonable for new tech.

I can remember walking into a Circuit City and seeing a 30" 720p HDTV for $10,000 10-12yrs ago....look at them now.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 09:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:

Yeah....nobody.

Several of my friends run those 90" Mitsubishi DLPs and my projector shoots onto a 120". I'd upgrade to a 4K unit as the price came down but it is pretty much at the bottom on my priority list (unless my 1080P dies).

Yeah, apparently GFY is unfamiliar with middle class suburbanites in America.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 09:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Just read this and stfu already...

Hm; the argument is totally valid. Buying media on physical devices is dying out fast. The only times i get a CD or DVD is when my parents get me some stuff for christmas.

But it does not adress the technical aspects of 4k vs 1080p. Neither does it adress the consumers experience.

The upside of 4k blu-rays is that i will find them ripped on irc. :up:

On the other hand: With the internet speeds google is working on 4k streaming is allready on its way.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

... where a big tv is considered a status symbol. :olo:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I paid $4,000.00 for my 720p 65" Plasma 10 or so years ago. So $5,000.00 isn't so bad.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 10:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
shaft wrote:

... where a big tv is considered a status symbol. :olo:

I don't really think so...unless you're speaking from experience? I don't know where you live. I'm just speaking in terms of viewing room size and the growing popularity of home theater rooms. Certainly if you were living in a small apartment and the tv took up your entire room that would just be showboating. I don't see a middle class suburbanite waving his dick around over $1,500 worth of electronics....unless its anonymously on the internet in which case..i win..lol poor ppl, etc.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm wondering if the industry has even finished copying all the old VHS stuff to DVD yet... then there's the blu-ray catalogue, which is a fraction of the DVD catalogue, and now 4K

ffs by the time 4K TVs become affordable to the 'average' consumer, we'll be on to 6K or 8K (showcasing another shitty lens flared CGI-fest starring Matt Cruise and directed by J J Spielberg)

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 12:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's true. We're constantly playing catch-up...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 12:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4K may have its benefits, but I don't see myself buying a screen bigger than the 40" one I got now. I guess that in a few years, 4K will be the new 3D (meaning: a hype) and somewhere down the line it'll probably be the average standard. Nothing particularly wrong with that, but I do hope it doesn't end up becoming a resolution race. Instead, they should focus on more interesting techs. A higher resolution is cute on paper, but it doesn't really bring anything new to the table.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 12:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
DTS wrote:

The clown is correct. Higher pixel density will equal a wider gamut.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 12:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
i'm wondering if the industry has even finished copying all the old VHS stuff to DVD yet... then there's the blu-ray catalogue, which is a fraction of the DVD catalogue, and now 4K

ffs by the time 4K TVs become affordable to the 'average' consumer, we'll be on to 6K or 8K (showcasing another shitty lens flared CGI-fest starring Matt Cruise and directed by J J Spielberg)

16k is already being developed :!:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

instead of upping the resolution they should work on the latency!

carmack said somewhere that it takes longer to get an image to the screen than to send bits of data from korea to the us!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 02:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

or they could work on the content because, let's be honest, we really don't need to see every follicle on Walter White's shaven head (though admittedly GoT would look awesome in 4K), so this is going to be - at least initially - aimed at cookie-cutter Hollywood CGI shitfests

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
The clown is correct. Higher pixel density will equal a wider gamut.

I guess it makes sense, it would allow for more true representation of a color gradient across the screen for example. granted it's all relative to the view distance, because technically, if you can actually see the pixels that means that subtleties of a color gradient must be missed from one pixel to the next.

Last edited by Tsakali on 10-17-2013 03:23 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-17-2013 03:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
though admittedly GoT would look awesome in 4K

are you sure? the better the resolution the harder it gets to make convincing sets and costumes. even the hobbit looks cheap in some places and they had a shitload of money to spend on the production design!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.