Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Oklahoma tornado

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Oklahoma tornado

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 03:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A massive tornado has hit Oklahoma killing over 90 people.

Americans are claiming that they should be allowed to carry their own tornadoes for protection.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 03:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 04:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Walk it off dipshits...

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 05:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What the fuck do you people build your houses with? From those images it seems like you yanks shun exotic materials like brick and cement and tend to opt for wood and plastic... what's the deal with that? Don't you think it would be nice to build windproof houses if you live in a place where these storms tend to happen? Or is this just some sort of massive high risk insurance scam i'm not getting?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 05:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
What the fuck do you people build your houses with? From those images it seems like you yanks shun exotic materials like brick and cement and tend to opt for wood and plastic... what's the deal with that? Don't you think it would be nice to build windproof houses if you live in a place where these storms tend to happen? Or is this just some sort of massive high risk insurance scam i'm not getting?

Yeah that's how they build houses over there. From plywood.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 05:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you watch shows like home makeover you see what they build their houses with. they take a powersaw or whatever and just cut a doorhole in a supporting wall like it's nothing. stunning, really.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 05:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:

damn ur a moron...the tornado demolished steel and stone structures too...

only thing u can do is build basements...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 05:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that too. don't underestimate the power of a tornado

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 05:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:

Completely agree with that.

There's also another strong tornado threat today, starting early afternoon with storms likely to fire in north east TX and south west AS. Geoff better run now.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outloo ... 0_torn.gif

Also, man tears alert! Wait till it gets to 1:37

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50147264n

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 05:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:

That doesn't change the fact that building houses out of plywood is goddamn pathetic. It's just one step above the corrugated iron they use in south african slums.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 06:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:

Actually we build a lot of our houses Reinforced to withstand very strong winds. But I don't think you realize the strength of these F4 or F5 tornados. 200+ MPH winds will rip through anything. And once the tornado organizes and the debris ball has formed, it will continue to grind up everything in its path by using the debris as its weapon. I can see why others don't understand this power, because tornado alley is the only place on earth where you'll find tornados and winds of this strength.

I live 20 miles from where yesterday's tornado occurred...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 06:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
scared? wrote:

That doesn't change the fact that building houses out of plywood is goddamn pathetic. It's just one step above the corrugated iron they use in south african slums.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but the majority of the houses that were hit yesterday were brick homes...

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reinforced with what, more plywood and plastic?

I refuse to believe that a structure under 8 stories tall built with reinforced concrete would give even pretend to give a shit about any sort of wind. Sure, i can see how the debris is deadly when it gets tossed around with such violence - but hey here's an idea, if you people would bother building structurally sound houses there would be far less debris to be thrown around in the first place.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 06:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Eraser wrote:

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but the majority of the houses that were hit yesterday were brick homes...

Again, that's not the point. An F5 tornado would do damage to brick houses as well, but plywood houses get washed away by floods and blown away by hurricanes that a brick house would easily withstand. You could just pick up a baseball bat and smash straight through your house's wall. I'm guessing it's pretty shitty when it comes to isolation as well.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 06:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 06:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, I guarantee if this tornado had gone through any of your neighborhoods, you'd have the same outcome...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 06:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

America is a huge place, you hear about tornado's on the news all the time but statistically speaking most have never seen one in their lifetime. Building materials, local codes and techniques vary from region to region depending on climate and weather. They have building codes for hurricanes in Flordia..codes for floodplains..etc.

That said, its not economical or in most cases even safer to try and tornado proof every house. Tornados give no fucks. We have below ground cellars and basements for that shit.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 06:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
lol, I guarantee if this tornado had gone through any of your neighborhoods, you'd have the same outcome...

Is this based on your expertise as an acedemic meteorologist or practical architect?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 06:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
You could just pick up a baseball bat and smash straight through your house's wall.

If you believe this you've probably never seen a piece of exterior plywood or oriented strand board in your life.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 06:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
xer0s wrote:

Is this based on your expertise as an acedemic meteorologist or practical architect?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lots of ignorant of tornados morons in here...

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's not even a meter or so of penetration, and that curb is obviously made of non reinforced concrete, because why the hell would anyone do that. Now i'm no engineer, but i bet Drums left testicle that if that curb had been made out of the same materials you build houses of for some inexplicable reason, the whole fucking thing would have shattered.

There's a certain incomprehensible fatalism in this argument... because things made out of concrete, steel and stone still get damaged, we might as well build everything out of plywood, because nothing can stop the sheer power of a hurricane. Seriously? Ok.

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Reinforced with what, more plywood and plastic?

I refuse to believe that a structure under 8 stories tall built with reinforced concrete would give even pretend to give a shit about any sort of wind. Sure, i can see how the debris is deadly when it gets tossed around with such violence - but hey here's an idea, if you people would bother building structurally sound houses there would be far less debris to be thrown around in the first place.

still standing by your ignorance and stupidity, good to know

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This really blows.

PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
That's not even a meter or so of penetration, and that curb is obviously made of non reinforced concrete, because why the hell would anyone do that. Now i'm no engineer, but i bet Drums left testicle that if that curb had been made out of the same materials you build houses of for some inexplicable reason, the whole fucking thing would have shattered.

There's a certain incomprehensible fatalism in this argument... because things made out of concrete, steel and stone still get damaged, we might as well build everything out of plywood, because nothing can stop the sheer power of a hurricane. Seriously? Ok.

holy shit you're stupid... but keep going, this is gold that you're posting :)

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
xer0s wrote:

It's based on my expertise of this forum and coming to the conclusion that Ryoki and Eraser are extremely pretentious and think they're an expert on eveything. But in reality they know nothing of the power of tornados and nothing of the way people build their homes in other places of the world, except with what they've seen on some renovation program on TV...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Ryoki wrote:

holy shit you're stupid... but keep going, this is gold that you're posting :)

:olo: Right?

PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They've certainly never heard a tornado siren.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
It's based on my expertise of this forum and coming to the conclusion that Ryoki and Eraser are extremely pretentious and think they're an expert on eveything. But in reality they know nothing of the power of tornados and nothing of the way people build their homes in other places of the world, except with what they've seen on some renovation program on TV...

Spot on...these guys are morons of epic proportions!...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki, you really have no idea what a tornado is capable of.

As shitty as most North American housing standards are, there's no such thing as a tornado-proof house, short of living in a military-grade bunker. An F4 or F5 twister has no problem destroying houses made of brick and stone and other concrete buildings. In storms like this, even people hiding in open basements can still get swept away. Stop embarrassing yourself.

PostPosted: 05-21-2013 07:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki is simply recalling what he learned of structural integrity against high winds from the tale of the 3 little pigs.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 08:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:

FYI Tornado's aren't hurricanes and afaik most new homes in hurricane areas are concrete and hurricane proof. No one is going to spend 500k on a bunker when you can build something just as safe and effective for 99% of weather related situation in that region for 200k.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 08:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ryoki...the newest laughing stock of the internet :olo: ...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No doubt brick houses would be better suited ! but houses along the south coast of England shed their roofs at the 1st sign of a breeze, 200mph is a tall order.

You'd think people in these areas would atleast try to minimise the damage and do what the UK does by using brick instead, so that they don't fall over. It wouldn't be hard to believe that the majority of damage is caused outside of the tornados footprint n all, away from the higher windspeeds.

I do fail to understand use of wood for building materials in yankland, anyone can buy a plot of land and build a shed. Infact they do, they're called pikeys, you don't need planning permission for the 1st 15 years cos technically its not a house.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
No doubt brick houses would be better suited ! but houses along the south coast of England shed their roofs at the 1st sign of a breeze, 200mph is a tall order.

You'd think people in these areas would atleast try to minimise the damage and do what the UK does by using brick instead, so that they don't fall over. It wouldn't be hard to believe that the majority of damage is caused outside of the tornados footprint n all, away from the higher windspeeds.

I do fail to understand use of wood for building materials in yankland, anyone can buy a plot of land and build a shed. Infact they do, they're called pikeys, you don't need planning permission for the 1st 15 years cos technically its not a house.

another ignorant moron types words...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.