Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Oklahoma tornado

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Oklahoma tornado

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 08:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:

another ignorant moron types words...

Don't be mad that in the UK you'd be downgraded from pooron to homeless

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 08:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ur country is a shithole and u think its nice? when i was there i was appalled at the living conditions...

pathetic...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You sound bitter, must be the sight of houses that appear to have been constructed by wizards

Forgive my ignorance, I do not come from a country that makes something more luxurious by simply making it bigger :dork:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 09:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol the faux yank outrage in this thread is laughable.

Yes, your chances of an ENTIRE TOWN NOT BEING ERASED FROM EXISTENCE would indeed IMPROVE if you made your buildings out of brick and mortar. Why you fools are arguing against that is nothing short of retardation writ large as all you're doing is defending your practices of building shit as cheaply as possible. :dork:

But I have a better idea that, for some reason, isn't even being considered: move away from something called "tornado alley".

Eurotrash, Asia-fags and North American neanderthal morons would all justifiably laugh at someone who continues to pitch a tent on a freeway after getting hit by cars over and over again, so it's really not too far out of line to point out that perhaps Dorothy and her family should move somewhere else. It doesn't matter if you've put "roots" there, as nearly everyone on the planet who isn't an energy-industry lobbyist will tell you those roots will eventually be ripped out of the ground by yet another mile-wide F5 tornado...which due to climate change will happen more and more often.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

Yes, your chances of an ENTIRE TOWN NOT BEING ERASED FROM EXISTENCE would indeed IMPROVE if you made your buildings out of brick and mortar. Why you fools are arguing against that is nothing short of retardation writ large as all you're doing is defending your practices of building shit as cheaply as possible. :dork:

But I have a better idea that, for some reason, isn't even being considered: move away from something called "tornado alley".

Eurotrash, Asia-fags and North American neanderthal morons would all justifiably laugh at someone who continues to pitch a tent on a freeway after getting hit by cars over and over again, so it's really not too far out of line to point out that perhaps Dorothy and her family should move somewhere else. It doesn't matter if you've put "roots" there, as nearly everyone on the planet who isn't an energy-industry lobbyist will tell you those roots will eventually be ripped out of the ground by yet another mile-wide F5 tornado...which due to climate change will happen more and more often.

Lol wut?...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 09:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

I'm not sure who you're referring to, but I didn't see anyone arguing that brick and mortar is not the optimal building choice. I did, however, state that we already build our homes out of brick.

And as for not living here...sorry, but the fact is, the majority of all the energy and food comes from tornado alley. People need to live here so others can live elsewhere...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They should farm on the moon...it's safer there.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seriously. Millions of people live on the edge of active volcanos. Millions of people live on an active fault line. Billions of people live on the coast where a tsunami can wipe out 250,000 people. "lol, living there is dumb" just isn't going to cut it...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Morons in this thread seem to be confusing the two different discussions going on here:

1. Will a tornado of this size fuck up an average well constructed house regardless of what it's made of?
    • No shit. A tornado of this size will obliterate virtually anything in its path, short of a military grade bunker.
    • There are some immense forces in the center of that vortex, high velocity winds and flying projectiles, immense pressure differences that can pop eardrums and lift anything that's on the ground and toss it a mile up in the air.
  2. Should you build your house out of plywood and white glue?
    • No, you Amurrican hick. Just because a tornado touching down directly on your house won't save you doesn't mean you should build a lean-to out of balsa wood because that won't exactly hold up even if you're half a mile away from the tornado, will it.
    • A lot of houses in stoopidville have no foundation. They're just concrete pads with a wooden framed sitting on top, coated with plywood on the outside and drywall on the inside. So no shit the entire thing lifts off like an Apollo rocket when there is a mere gust of wind.
    • Don't tornado alley states have any building codes that they are supposed to follow? Or is it another case of these gun hording Confederate flag waving yuppies complaining about, "don't ya guv'ment tell me how tuh build my yonder house and infringe upon mah conshutooshunal freedoms."?

Also, the "don't live there" argument is pretty shit. The entire planet is a great big ringed circle target for meteors, that drunk guy driving a tractor trailer/garbage truck/construction vehicle might just plow through your house, you might have a sink hole open up beneath you, that gas line under your house might leak, an electrical short in your house might set it on fire.... really? Living in a cave seems relatively safe, let's all do that.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's amazing how ignorant and naive euros are...they are so dumb they have convinced themselves they are smart... :olo: ...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, caves collapse.

The moon is our only hope.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

... as opposed to Texans who are so sunburned that they have convinced themselves that they have class.... :olo:...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Class is for morons...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting reddit post on Why Wood?
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comme ... ld/c1rguko

Also, you see a lot of wood in the OK debris because many of the brick houses still have wooden frames..the entire thing isn't build of cinder-blocks like a larger industrial structure would be.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thx obsidian for pointing that out. Nowhere was I claiming that a brick house would survive an F5 tornado, but I do believe the construction quality of the average Dutch house is miles better than the average American house, due to us using brick rather than plywood.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
the entire thing isn't build of cinder-blocks like a larger industrial structure would be.

you mean like an average 20th century European house would be :p

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What do u mean use brick instead of plywood? That doesn't even make sense...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And cinder blocks go down as easy as 2x4's in a tornado...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 10:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
shaft wrote:
the entire thing isn't build of cinder-blocks like a larger industrial structure would be.

you mean like an average 20th century European house would be :p

Probably, but I guess when you have 20x the population of the Netherlands its pretty costly to build 100 million homes without the use of our cheapest natural resource.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dunno, you wouldn't build a house with just cinder blocks either. Bricks and cinder blocks have a lot of vertical compression strength, put is pretty poor on lateral strength, meaning that you can pile a heavy roof on top, but if you pushed it from the side it would still topple over like a stack of children's wood blocks.

Typical Canadian homes have a concrete filled basement, on top of which is a wood and/or steel frame anchored into the concrete foundation. Load bearing walls are lined with plywood on the outside, followed by cinder blocks, and then double lined bricks. Interiors are lined with insulation (styrofoam panels, or fiberglass), wood or aluminium frames and then drywall.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If a tornado hit our house I am certain the car port conversion would survive no problem...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 11:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A tornado couldn't make it look any worse...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
If a tornado hit our house I am certain the car port conversion would survive no problem...

lol, your 'house' couldn't survive a case of woodworm.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 12:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
I dunno, you wouldn't build a house with just cinder blocks either. Bricks and cinder blocks have a lot of vertical compression strength, put is pretty poor on lateral strength, meaning that you can pile a heavy roof on top, but if you pushed it from the side it would still topple over like a stack of children's wood blocks.

Typical Canadian homes have a concrete filled basement, on top of which is a wood and/or steel frame anchored into the concrete foundation. Load bearing walls are lined with plywood on the outside, followed by cinder blocks, and then double lined bricks. Interiors are lined with insulation (styrofoam panels, or fiberglass), wood or aluminium frames and then drywall.

Yes, many houses don't have the cinder blocks behind the bricks. Its essentially a timber frame home with a brick facade.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:

You might get to test that out shortly..

http://weather.aol.com/2013/05/21/live- ... ern-texas/

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 12:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s do you have one of these?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I personally don't need a storm shelter...I just chain myself to a pole and ride it out...

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 12:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a lot of wanna-be engineers in here

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 01:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why don't we bash this instead... because this is what insane people actually think...

this is someone on my friends list... i only keep her on there because she posts the most insane things i've ever read

PostPosted: 05-21-2013 01:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

god is good :olo:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 01:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Praise God for killing those 20 kids.

PostPosted: 05-21-2013 01:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

his plan is magnificent

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

THE plan, wtf bitch this aint ikea

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry to get off track (and bash the US once again) but this talk of religious crazies reminded me of something that happened very recently:

I returned back from Minneapolis yesterday after spending the weekend there for my brother's wedding. Anyway, I was walking through the lobby of my hotel around 9 am on Sunday and a small group of 5 - 6 room-cleaning staff were on a break in the cafeteria. As I walked by I guess their break was over, as they got out of their chairs and then stood in a circle holding hands and said their daily prayer in unison. These people obviously weren't related (so it wasn't just a religious family I was witnessing) and were just a bunch of co-workers who stopped everything they were doing to hold hands and do what religious nutters do. I admit I was a bit weirded out by the spontaneous, naked display of religiousness that you simply do NOT see in other western countries, Canada/Europe/Australia included.

When it comes to hard-core religious nutters ruling their prospective countries and the attitudes of those that live within its borders, it's obvious to anyone who pays attention that USA = Afghanistan.

Oh yeah...regarding the wedding: the Minnesotans all left the celebration early while the Canadians stayed and emptied the fucking bar. Yanks can't party for shit.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Except USA isn't being bombed by the assholes of the other religions.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.