Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Should I buy these headphones?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Should I buy these headphones?

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 06:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Budget cans, so might sound rubbish.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sennheiser-Or ... 8578894188

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 06:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ask xer0s, he's probably got his opinion about them from a random person somewhere.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 06:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol even shipping it costs 10x the normal price.

As they say in that horrible Bruce Willis movie,"Fucking rich people."

plained
plained
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

only 1 pair?

LOL POORIANS!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 09:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jesus hehe

these are what i have:

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 11:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've always been afraid of that design Julios. Does the exposed wire take unnecessary strain?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 02:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not at all - there's enough slack that even if you pivot each earpiece to its full range it never gets taut.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can have a banging sound system for that amount.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 09:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Julios, I was thinking of buying a pair of Beyer DT770's at some point. Any idea how the 990's compare?
Scratch that, just found a good thread on it. Seems yours are more fun than the 770's.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-s ... odels-more

The same seller had another pair of Orpheus headphones yesterday, now sold it seems, without the amp, for £9000.
My Sennheiser HD580's look basically the same with cheaper plastic materials and is worth about £180 now I think. Great sound, extreme comfort for hours. While the Orpheus would sound amazing I'm sure, there's no way it would be 45 times better. That's the thing with audiophile gear, it's the law of diminishing returns. Spend hundreds or thousands for relatively small improvements.

Also, a vintage wooden stand for the Orpheus at the cost of $923 lollars. I mean seriously.. :rolleyes:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-headp ... 46113812ea

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 09:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not sure how they compare. I went to an audiophile store in toronto and spent a good 45 minutes testing their headphones. I've never owned a decent pair and wanted to get something nice. Ended up getting the 990's for about half the retail price as it was their last model (and their demo model). Really love the open sound - some of the closed headphones felt like I was in a coffin with speakers right next to me - tiny soundstage... listening to binaural recordings with these opens are incredible. I've no experience to compare these to other cans, but they do sound lovely - everyone I've shown them to likes them too.

http://www.headfi.org seems to be a good source of discussion about these things

as for the orpheus, check out some of the youtube reviews - interesting stuff.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 08-10-2013 04:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
not sure how they compare. I went to an audiophile store in toronto and spent a good 45 minutes testing their headphones. I've never owned a decent pair and wanted to get something nice. Ended up getting the 990's for about half the retail price as it was their last model (and their demo model). Really love the open sound - some of the closed headphones felt like I was in a coffin with speakers right next to me - tiny soundstage... listening to binaural recordings with these opens are incredible. I've no experience to compare these to other cans, but they do sound lovely - everyone I've shown them to likes them too.

http://www.headfi.org seems to be a good source of discussion about these things

as for the orpheus, check out some of the youtube reviews - interesting stuff.

As there were only 300 made of the Orpheus, they're now collectors items. Apparently one pair (probably with the Sennheiser paired amp) went for auction for $60,000. Totally agree about open back headphones. My 580's are open and yes, also nice wide airy soundstage.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 08-10-2013 09:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Coming from a guy who has a $1000+ pair of headphones, spending over $2-3k on a pair is silly IMO. $5-6k gets you a decent sound system that will give a sound no headphones can match (i.e. true stereo).

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-10-2013 10:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What do you mean by true stereo?

Last edited by [xeno]Julios on 08-10-2013 02:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-10-2013 02:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pfft. You dunno? It's not that "fake" stereo.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 01:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
What do you mean by true stereo?

By true stereo, I meant hearing both speakers at the same time from each ear (with the phase difference creating a true soundstage). I can't explain it well enough, but just read about stereo online please.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 06:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you tried actually knowing what you're talking about?

I think what you mean is stereographic projection, but you're explaining it like an idiot who doesn't really knows how it works. This has absolutely nothing to do with headphones since cheapos can still reproduce stereographic projection. It has to do with how the source is recorded and mixed.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

did you pay $1000+ for a pair of headphones? no? then you don't know shit.

Now all we need is someone with $2000 headphones to come and clear things up.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Have you tried actually knowing what you're talking about?

I think what you mean is stereographic projection, but you're explaining it like an idiot who doesn't really knows how it works. This has absolutely nothing to do with headphones since cheapos can still reproduce stereographic projection. It has to do with how the source is recorded and mixed.

No, I'm talking about the sound from each speaker being slightly out of phase with each other, which creates stereo imaging. You can't reproduce it with headphones simply because each ear only hears one stereo channel.

Quote:
Stereophonic sound attempts to create an illusion of location for various sound sources (voices, instruments, etc.) within the original recording. The recording engineer's goal is usually to create a stereo "image" with localization information. When a stereophonic recording is heard through loudspeaker systems (rather than headphones), each ear, of course, hears sound from both speakers. The audio engineer may, and often does, use more than two microphones (sometimes many more) and may mix them down to two tracks in ways that exaggerate the separation of the instruments, in order to compensate for the mixture that occurs when listening via speakers.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereophon ... d#Playback

Plus, besides stereos imaging, headphones also lose the physiological bass punch that you feel in your lungs, on your skin, and on your clothes. You can feel it on the skin on your ears, but you're missing out on 90% of the experience :)

redline
redline
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
did you pay $1000+ for a pair of headphones? no? then you don't know shit.

Now all we need is someone with $2000 headphones to come and clear things up.

All I meant was that I'm not a headphone hater :)

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 08:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
jesus hehe

these are what i have:

nes.jpg[/img]

cool man i have the MMX 300's with the mic... basically the same headphone but there are no air slats on mine. they are so damn awesome... I keep them paired with a FiiO amp at all times because they deserve it.

too this crap picture after i got them

love them

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
No, I'm talking about the sound from each speaker being slightly out of phase with each other, which creates stereo imaging. You can't reproduce it with headphones simply because each ear only hears one stereo channel.

Humans infer the location of a sound source based on many different cues. One of them is difference in time of arrival to each ear (the phase difference you're referring to). If someone on your right is talking to you, the sound will reach your right ear before your left ear. Your brain is sensitive to this difference and can use it to localize the sound source. There are other cues, such as differential attenuation of the signal due to the increased distance the waves have to travel to the different ears, and due to the head shadow.

With a speaker set up, you can get these cues, because each speaker is positioned a distance a way from your ears.

The interesting thing is that with headphones, you can recreate "true stereo" even more precisely than with speakers, by using binaural recording techniques. Using either a dummy head, or a real person's head, you place a separate microphone in each ear. The results are astounding. There are plenty of youtube videos that demonstrate this. The idea is that you can recreate the sound almost exactly as you would have heard it had you been there. It's very similar to 3d video recording techniques.

Here's a good one that explains it too (and uses a real head):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0uGsAksBaY

To summarize (based on my understanding):

Speakers can create stereophonic sound without binaural recording techniques, but it's an artificial (and static) rendering, unless two microphones were used. Binaural recording + headphones = ultimate fidelity in 3d sound reproduction.

ToxicBug wrote:

Plus, besides stereos imaging, headphones also lose the physiological bass punch that you feel in your lungs, on your skin, and on your clothes. You can feel it on the skin on your ears, but you're missing out on 90% of the experience :)

interesting, never thought about that. I'm less of a bass whore than most tho :p

Last edited by [xeno]Julios on 08-11-2013 10:48 AM, edited 3 times in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 10:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:

cool man i have the MMX 300's with the mic... basically the same headphone but there are no air slats on mine. they are so damn awesome... I keep them paired with a FiiO amp at all times because they deserve it.

love them

nice - from what I understand those are essentially the DT 770 with a mic added. Great cans. I don't have an amp myself - I just plug them into my computer speakers. Would an amp do anything other than allow me to get more volume?

PostPosted: 08-11-2013 05:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
andyman wrote:

love them

nice - from what I understand those are essentially the DT 770 with a mic added. Great cans. I don't have an amp myself - I just plug them into my computer speakers. Would an amp do anything other than allow me to get more volume?

it will open the full potential of your headphones. buy it!!

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E17-USB-Head ... words=fiio

redline
redline
PostPosted: 08-12-2013 11:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
ToxicBug wrote:

Humans infer the location of a sound source based on many different cues. One of them is difference in time of arrival to each ear (the phase difference you're referring to). If someone on your right is talking to you, the sound will reach your right ear before your left ear. Your brain is sensitive to this difference and can use it to localize the sound source. There are other cues, such as differential attenuation of the signal due to the increased distance the waves have to travel to the different ears, and due to the head shadow.

With a speaker set up, you can get these cues, because each speaker is positioned a distance a way from your ears.

The interesting thing is that with headphones, you can recreate "true stereo" even more precisely than with speakers, by using binaural recording techniques. Using either a dummy head, or a real person's head, you place a separate microphone in each ear. The results are astounding. There are plenty of youtube videos that demonstrate this. The idea is that you can recreate the sound almost exactly as you would have heard it had you been there. It's very similar to 3d video recording techniques.

Here's a good one that explains it too (and uses a real head):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0uGsAksBaY

To summarize (based on my understanding):

Speakers can create stereophonic sound without binaural recording techniques, but it's an artificial (and static) rendering, unless two microphones were used. Binaural recording + headphones = ultimate fidelity in 3d sound reproduction.

ToxicBug wrote:

interesting, never thought about that. I'm less of a bass whore than most tho :p

I'm aware about binaural recordings and I agree that they are really awesome when they are available. The thing is that usually music and movies are recorded with normal mics (either A-B technique or X-Y technique) and those are played back best with speakers.

When I watch movies on my 2.2 speaker setup, I don't see the need for surround because the imaging is already so good. When I listen to live music recordings, they sound amazing, I feel like I'm there with the band.

In the end, I find that headphones definitely have their place and they are great for what they are. At the same time, I haven't used my headphones at home since I bought my 2.2 speaker setup. I still use them at work, though.

PostPosted: 08-12-2013 01:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
I'm aware about binaural recordings and I agree that they are really awesome when they are available. The thing is that usually music and movies are recorded with normal mics (either A-B technique or X-Y technique) and those are played back best with speakers.

When I watch movies on my 2.2 speaker setup, I don't see the need for surround because the imaging is already so good. When I listen to live music recordings, they sound amazing, I feel like I'm there with the band.

In the end, I find that headphones definitely have their place and they are great for what they are. At the same time, I haven't used my headphones at home since I bought my 2.2 speaker setup. I still use them at work, though.

used to have this on a CD when i was a kid and would listen to it over and over... sounded so cool in binaural. was scary back then too.

google the number ISBN-10: 0743571282

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 08-12-2013 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:

Baader-Meinhof... I was recently having a look at headphone amps. Do you have the E17 Andyman? The E07 is about 2/3 the price but I haven't yet delved into specs etc to find out why :/

PostPosted: 08-13-2013 11:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vesp wrote:
andyman wrote:

Baader-Meinhof... I was recently having a look at headphone amps. Do you have the E17 Andyman? The E07 is about 2/3 the price but I haven't yet delved into specs etc to find out why :/

yeah i got the e17 on july 21st 2012, according to amazon hehe :) been using it every time i use my headphones, which , for the last 7 months, has been every day. and used it a lot at home before that simply because they sound way better than any speakers I had in my shitty apartment, and also didn't want to turn up the volume and disturb the neighbors any more than I already was when i screamed at battlefield :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-15-2013 03:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

interesting andy - so that device actually acts as an external sound card too right? Does it work seamlessly with everything, and what about my onboard audio - if I keep it enabled will that mean I get an audio signal out of both the onboard audio card and the filo?

PostPosted: 08-15-2013 04:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a digital audio converter and amp at the same time, so it will accept and convert signal from USB, optical, and regular aux. It's not as feature packed as an Astro as far as audio conversion goes but it's much cleaner. You can adjust bass/treble/gain through the menu too. sounds very very good, in my opinion.

If you can have two outputs for sound on your computer then you can do that... when this is plugged in through USB it acts as it's own sound output option. i don't know the correct terms here.
It worked fine with battlefield 3's surround sound features.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-15-2013 09:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm still confused. So it's not a sound card?

If it's not a sound card, how do my USB ports magically supply a sound signal? Like, if I plug this device into my USB port on the back of my computer, will it produce sound?

PostPosted: 08-16-2013 01:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it will produce sound if you plug it into a usb port on your computer. it's plugged into mine right now... lol

PostPosted: 08-16-2013 01:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

awesome thanks, just read a few reviews and it seems that the e17 is a great product (even compared to the e10). Will likely have it by next wknd!

redline
redline
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 04:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
I'm still confused. So it's not a sound card?

If it's not a sound card, how do my USB ports magically supply a sound signal? Like, if I plug this device into my USB port on the back of my computer, will it produce sound?

It is a sound card (i.e. it has a DAC chip inside).

Fiio E17 USB DAC Headphone Amplifier

Quote:
E17 is kind of high-grade and multi-functional amplifier for headphones. It has many excellent functions with small shape and being portable. High performance design of amplifier is to ensure the quality of sound. Multi-input ports design makes it easy to operate. It has many ports such as PC USB or S/PDIF digital single or AUX analog signal input. With OLED screen, the interface of E17 is so intuitive and key operation is comfortable.

This means you can use it as a DAC+headphone amp with digital sources such as USB or S/PDIF or as a headphone amp only with the AUX analog input.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 07:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Will the DAC work with something like an iPod? As I understand it, the DAC on an iPod or iPhone is pretty shitty. Can you go from Apple-connector-to-USB to the USB input?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.