Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 04-28-2023 05:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh I defo had that little blue technic car as well - https://brickset.com/sets/1972-1/Go-Kart

(1972 is the set number, it was actually released in 1985 according to Bricklink)

On the subject of classic Technic, I had this set as a kid and it was the absolute business:
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=8862-1

I say had, it's still in our house along with all the rest of my 80s and 90s lego (and 00s.. 10s...) :p
Not had it out in a while, but all the pneumatic bits still work like a charm.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-09-2023 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Neural Amp Modeler Plugin
A VST3 plugin to use with your DAW or Standalone.
It's kind of like your Kemper/AxeFX/ToneX etc. -Modelers but it's freeware and open source.
You can also create models with the supported tool.
Tonehunt seems to be great start to find uploaded models.
There's also a FB group that shares models for those who stil use that platform.

You will need a 3rd-party plugin if you want to load Impulse Responses and simulate playing through a cabinet. The NAM- models are mostly just the pure amps or effects- pedals.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-09-2023 09:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This Neural Amp Modeler plugin isn't in any way related to Neural DSP is it?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-10-2023 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Technologically, yes.
But an open- source and free alternative to proprietary systems like Neural DSP (TM) or such.
All of those modeller- systems work with neural networks that are trained to find the very specifics in tone of a given amp or overdrive/distortion- pedal.
It's similar to the way you would calculate the impulse response of a given system. Fast Fourier Transformation was used in the past and might actually be part of what the networks do today. I don't really know all the techy stuff in smallest detail.
Here's a forum post on the official Kemper site :).

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-27-2023 09:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Picking up a fun little toy in a few hours. Can't wait...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-30-2023 03:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Another little Lego collectable, not quite antique but a fun build now added to my collection :D

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-13-2023 10:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There was delays in getting my bike but I finally got it last week, put in 1,500km's already.

I have to say... despite the serious drop in power this bike is more fun than my Z900. I'm genuinely surprised how much fun it is to drive a slow bike fast and then taking a rip through a dirt road. Absolutely great little machine.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-13-2023 01:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like good fun, Kracus. Enjoy!

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-13-2023 03:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The 1.6L lotus was way more fun than the 4L BMW, bigger just gets you in irrecoverable trouble faster tbh :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-13-2023 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: What is new in your little world?

The Mrs & I just got back from a country escape :) Stayed in Toowoomba, ventured to Warwick & Stanthorpe :)

A world away from our beach-side home and maybe 15 years since we last drove through.
Yes, we have stayed before at places like this and loved it.
Simply, beautiful country :D and a great driving holiday escape.

Toowoomba Wiki Warwick Wiki Stanthorpe Wiki

I just have to ask, what has been happening about here?

PS: Did I miss any birthdays of importance?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-13-2023 09:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
The 1.6L lotus was way more fun than the 4L BMW, bigger just gets you in irrecoverable trouble faster tbh :up:

The problem with motorcycles especially is that with something middle weight like a 600cc sportsbike, you can get up to illegal speeds in 2nd gear. So you're always holding back. A smaller capacity bike will allow you to wring the shit out of it on public roads without having to fear for your license.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-13-2023 11:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Similar with sports cars. 4s on the gas in the M3 put you over the limit anywhere, with zero drama in the process. You can track it, but it's a stressful amount of steel to bring back under control once it's heading south and a lot of money on the line if you stack it.
The flip side is you can drive all day in the big, quiet, smooth heavy cars and feel fine, a four-hour drive in the mx5 or elan was tiring. I can see why older dudes often settle for the Jags and mercs.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-14-2023 01:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's one advantage of motorcycles. If you crash your z900 like the one Kracus has and it's total loss, you write off 10 grand. Still a lot of money, but a fraction of what you'd pay for a similarly performing sportscar.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-19-2023 09:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just ordered a pizza :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-21-2023 04:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What kind?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-21-2023 08:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was pepperoni, salami, and jalapeño. Not bad…

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-21-2023 05:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: What is new in your little world?

The Mrs & I are off to Hervey Bay for a few days.....

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-24-2023 03:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
It was pepperoni, salami, and jalapeño. Not bad…

That sounds disgusting... I love spicy food but jalapeno on pizza? no thanks. It's like those pics of pickle pizza I see on my feed sometimes, like who eats that?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-24-2023 08:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like pineapple on my pizza, and I know that's controversial for some reason (well, the internet made it controversial. Pineapple on pizza and pizza Hawaii has been around for as long as I can remember), but if you see some of the shit people put on pizzas and still dare to call it pizza is unbelievable.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-24-2023 08:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hawaiian pizza actually started in Canada I believe. I had pineapple pizza on Saturday actually and it tastes really good, if done right.

The idea of stuff like pickles and jalapeno on pizza is new to me though but gaining popularity online. I'm guessing it's for clout, like, look at this ridiculous shit I put on my pie type of deal... I'm "special".

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-25-2023 10:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They should outlaw ridiculous shit like a shawarma pizza. It's either shawarma or pizza. Pick one and save the other for another day.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-27-2023 08:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Just ordered a pizza :up:

One bite, everyone knows the rules.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-27-2023 08:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Proceeds to take 3 bites.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-15-2023 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A new guitar; a Gibson Les Paul Tribute- model from 2019 in satin tobacco- burst.
My first "real" Gibson, despite a Thunderbird.
Les Pauls never really were my kind of thing. Too hairy metal...
Then 6 months ago, around came a good offer on ebay for a lefty Tribute- model. Same specs as a Standard imo. But no binding, whatsoever. Well, what do I care about a nice binding? None if the price is right. A straight Grand instead of the 1400€. Along with one of those very durable gig- bags that Gibson gave out with those models.

I guess it sounds just like a Les Paul should. I often hit the PU- selector switch when strumming, which is really annoying.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-15-2023 06:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mine's not a Tribute, but rather a Studio, and I love it to bits. It's a lot more versatile than first appearance would suggest.

I think the only thing the Studio has over the Tribute is coil taps.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-15-2023 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Coil Tapping meaning "pulling the knob out" to split the two PUs into two single-coils?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-15-2023 10:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, exactly (although you can do it per pickup, giving even more options).

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-16-2023 11:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bought some more Lego :cool:

The Technic helicopter 42145. Might keep this BNIB while I searxh for an earlier model, the Heavy Lift Helicopter with contra rotating (coaxial) main rotor (no tail).

I am looking to buy 42052 and have been let down on 2 recent efforts where the boxes were in less than acceptable condition, so the quest continues :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-17-2023 11:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I ordered this one yesterday

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-19-2023 08:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
A new guitar; a Gibson Les Paul Tribute- model from 2019 in satin tobacco- burst.
My first "real" Gibson, despite a Thunderbird.
Les Pauls never really were my kind of thing. Too hairy metal...
Then 6 months ago, around came a good offer on ebay for a lefty Tribute- model. Same specs as a Standard imo. But no binding, whatsoever. Well, what do I care about a nice binding? None if the price is right. A straight Grand instead of the 1400€. Along with one of those very durable gig- bags that Gibson gave out with those models.

I guess it sounds just like a Les Paul should. I often hit the PU- selector switch when strumming, which is really annoying.

Les Paul is nice kit. :up: Never heard of the Tribute model before to be honest. I bought a 2008 Les Paul Standard back in... *checks notes* 2008. I paid something like $2500 CAD for it then (~$3500 now). It's easily the nicest guitar I own which is a shame as I haven't played the fucking thing for two years... been locked in storage since I moved. Seems crazy to me that you'd hit the PU selector while strumming, haha. Are you windmilling it or something? :D

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-20-2023 12:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can relate, I've done it before when playing close to the neck pick-up :D

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-20-2023 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have won the quest and pickup tomorrow :D

Yes, picked up last night. Already disassembled and ready to build. It was in pretty good condition for a 2016 released model/set. The box :up: Only a couple of broken pins/parts so it must have had a crash some time as it is pretty hard to break those Lego pins. Parts on order :D
Bricklink Entry

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-23-2023 08:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
Seems crazy to me that you'd hit the PU selector while strumming, haha. Are you windmilling it or something? :D

It's a habbit I got from the Strat. Like Mat said, you can comfortably play it strumming softly or picking over the neck pickup or even on the neck itself, around the 19th fret. Playing it that way gives off a warm, full tone. Sometimes I use that technique to bring different tonality into the playing. In fact I'm so used to it, it happens almost automatically. Can't do that on the LP.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-23-2023 10:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah yeah, playing at different areas of the neck is a great way to give a different tonality for sure. I'm thinking now trying to remember if I've ever done this. I guess it must have happened here or there but it isn't something I worry about. I tend to flick my PU selector back and forth often anyway to swap tones around.

If you have a slide (metal or glass work), try this trick - put the slide on your 12th fret harmonic spot (halfway), then pluck or strum the string(s) behind your fretting hand, down at the 2.5 - 3rd fret or so. You can make this really unique shimmering sound. Works well if you strum the top 3 strings. If you move the slide around even slightly hovering around the 12th fret harmonic spot you can make some pretty cool sounds.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-25-2023 03:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried a slide a few times and learned that I know nothing about using them.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.