Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-12-2020 03:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welcome to 2018.... Moron^^^...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-17-2020 10:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was at the polling booth today to cast a vote in the local election early. Walking back to my car I watched a large black ute** reverse in to my KIA :tear: and there was nothing I could do to stop it...

Luckily he stopped, because, as you know, if it were a shopping centre or I wasn't about he might have driven off with out leaving details.

Long story short, home, called insurance and the car goes in for repair first up tomorrow. I get a rental (free) because I was able to identify the offender...

All this is over before the virus bites hopefully :smirk:

** Aussie for a pickup truck

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-18-2020 03:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That sucks dude, you should try to get the insurance to pay you for a loss of value too. Beyond the costs of repairs the car will now have an accident on its report and re-selling the car will be more of a challenge and you're likely to sell it at a lower price because of it. That price difference should be owed to you. I had a similar situation happen to me when a truck bumped me from behind while I was stopped at a light.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-18-2020 06:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
That sucks dude, you should try to get the insurance to pay you for a loss of value too. Beyond the costs of repairs the car will now have an accident on its report and re-selling the car will be more of a challenge and you're likely to sell it at a lower price because of it. That price difference should be owed to you. I had a similar situation happen to me when a truck bumped me from behind while I was stopped at a light.

You've got a public registry for accidents for vehicles? I don't think such a thing exists over here in the Netherlands.
Also, why would an accidemt negatively impact the value of a car? If the damage is fixed it's fixed.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-18-2020 06:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Κracus wrote:

You've got a public registry for accidents for vehicles? I don't think such a thing exists over here in the Netherlands.
Also, why would an accidemt negatively impact the value of a car? If the damage is fixed it's fixed.

You guys don't have carfax? That's crazy, over here everything is kept on record. If you take your car in for service, that'll show up on the record when you buy a used car. If you buy a used car and it has a front end accident and the seller is asking mint condition price he's going to have to lower his price to sell it. If a vehicle doesn't have it's full service schedule recorded that's going to reduce the value of the vehicle when you sell it.

When we buy a used car we look to make sure the car was never in an accident and was always serviced at regular intervals. If either of those things is missing you can usually convince any dealership to lower the price of the vehicle and if they don't you just don't buy it. When I sold my 370Z the buyer asked me to lower the price by 1k due to the accident report even though it was literally just a scuff on the paint. I obliged because the guy that hit me paid me 2k, 1k for the repairs and 1k for the value reduction of the vehicle.

Also just because it's fixed doesn't mean it won't have unusual wear on parts. Electronic wires get squished in collisions, they work fine for a while until a little water gets in there and suddenly you have electrical issues that can cost thousands to repair... Any vehicle that's been in a collision has this potential problem, especially front end collisions.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-18-2020 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
If the damage is fixed it's fixed.

Except you don't know who fixed it or if it was done properly with OEM parts or cheap and fast with second-line products. An accident instantly reduces the resale value of a car, regardless of severity.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-18-2020 08:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So you've got two BMW M4s to pick from. One's been damaged but repaired with OEM parts. Which one do you buy?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-18-2020 09:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The non damaged one obviously. Why is that even a question?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-18-2020 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Also, why would an accident negatively impact the value of a car? If the damage is fixed it's fixed.

I have never heard of a 'registry' here although we have one for the finance angle. I don't believe for a moment the "value" will decrease because of the accident.

Re 'if it is fixed it is fixed', most if not all insurance companies here have a guarantee for life (of the car) on any MVA repairs.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-18-2020 01:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
The non damaged one obviously. Why is that even a question?

Are you for real?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-19-2020 12:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Eraser wrote:
Also, why would an accident negatively impact the value of a car? If the damage is fixed it's fixed.

I have never heard of a 'registry' here although we have one for the finance angle. I don't believe for a moment the "value" will decrease because of the accident.

Re 'if it is fixed it is fixed', most if not all insurance companies here have a guarantee for life (of the car) on any MVA repairs.

Good point. Most (if not all) insurance companies here will tell you where to do your repairs. That pretty much ensures repairs will be done properly and not by some half hackjob of a self-proclaimed mechanic

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-19-2020 01:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
You guys don't have carfax? That's crazy, over here everything is kept on record. If you take your car in for service, that'll show up on the record when you buy a used car.

We do, though maybe not as public as it is for you. But every change to your vehicle (as long as it's not done by some out of house mechanic) is registered and visible to insurance companies and car dealers.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-19-2020 03:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It sounds like you guys have a lot of faith in your mechanics... Even the best mechanic may not notice something slightly out of alignment causing unusually fast wear on moving parts. A lifetime warranty on MVA repairs is also bonkers.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-19-2020 04:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Insurance companies in Canada typically try to send you to the cheapest place they know.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 03-19-2020 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Insurance companies here push repair shops to use aftermarket parts and do the least amount of work as possible in order to keep the repair costs down.

My wife's A4 was recently hit in the rear. We had to fight with the other insurance company to get them to provide OEM parts.... It was OEM before it was hit, it's going to be OEM after.

So yeah, you have to be cautious about cars that have been in accidents.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-19-2020 08:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone that thinks otherwise is an imbecile.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-19-2020 02:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks gandalf

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-19-2020 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, it is only a car and only panel damage here.

His tow bar/hitch penetrated below the headlight assembly (probably some distance) as pictured tearing through the plastic panel (circled). The driver side metal panel over the front wheel was a little distorted. I didn't notice this but the panel shop assessor and his trained eyes did.
They will possibly find more damage but I am confident of a good outcome in 7 to 10 days. I have a rental car provided so I off today for a country drive :)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-21-2020 08:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That sucks, Whiskey :/

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-25-2020 03:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Car repair delay a few days, still I have a free hire car :up:

Re: What's new in your little world, a virtual meeting with our building management company and the first use of their chosen software. Fingers crossed.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-25-2020 07:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Picked this up the other day. Ibanez RG450EX. Missed my old RG and couldn't help myself.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-26-2020 11:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not an Ibanez guy but that's hot

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-26-2020 03:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up: Caught my eye before I got to the rack. Of course it needs the usual adjustments. But I think I'm going to love it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-26-2020 10:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice!
I own both an RG and JEM and they're very nice, lean guitars. Playing something like a Les Paul really feels like playing a block of concrete to me now :)

Anyone seen the new Ibanez PIA guitars? It's Steve Vai's new signature model. Absolutely beautiful looking guitar. €4000 though :|

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-27-2020 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Nice!
I own both an RG and JEM and they're very nice, lean guitars. Playing something like a Les Paul really feels like playing a block of concrete to me now :)

Anyone seen the new Ibanez PIA guitars? It's Steve Vai's new signature model. Absolutely beautiful looking guitar. €4000 though :|

I also have the S470QXDM and it's even leaner than the RG but pretty comparable playability wise. I could never have a heavy guitar like a Les Paul and really enjoy it. The PIA does look pretty nice and exotic. And, yeah, that is a bit more than I would want to pay considering I just play for self entertainment and don't put in the time to justify that much.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-29-2020 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: What is new in your little world?

Should be picking up the wheels PM today after about 10 days in the repair shop.
Thought time to do some more Lego so I started the Porsche (rebuild) build late yesterday. Therapeutic I think :D

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 03-30-2020 04:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hope you enjoy the rebuild Whiskey and hope the car thing works out :)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-30-2020 06:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

can't believe there isn't a Lego coronavirus model yet

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-30-2020 09:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Re: What is new in your little world?

Should be picking up the wheels PM today after about 10 days in the repair shop.
Thought time to do some more Lego so I started the Porsche (rebuild) build late yesterday. Therapeutic I think :D

This looks nothing like the Porsche it's meant to be. Sven needs his ass kicking.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-30-2020 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that looks like some kind of awful knockoff replica lol

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-30-2020 10:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just picked up my wheels :up:
Nice to have 'em back. Dusty as you might expect, by my standards at least and it does need a good vacuum/dust inside.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-08-2020 07:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lego Porsche done 2 days ago so I enjoy seeing it now sitting on the table :D Just thinking what the next build might be.

Regards what is new in your little world, just bought 12 paperback books via eBay. They might appreciate more than stocks/shares in the months ahead :paranoid:

Edit hours later, just bought a 3 year magazine subscription. Now that's positive thinking :D

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 04-09-2020 03:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Books, magazines and puzzles, a valuable commodity in the weeks, months ahead, same with your Lego builds, great purchase Whiskey!

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 04-09-2020 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Build that Lego Porsche few years ago. Serious commitment needed!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-10-2020 09:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Had solar panels installed on my house yesterday
An investment that should earn itself back in 7 years or so.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.