Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Q3W Bikers

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q3W Bikers

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 10:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I'm taking the plunge and getting a bike. It's been a long time coming.

Right now I have a Yamaha Fazer 8 in my sights and was wondering what you folks would recommend? I'm in every sense of the word a novice rider, I don't want something too powerful but I need something above 600cc since our licensing laws have two different categories for bike licensing and I intend on getting the above 600cc one. I think the Fazer might be good because it's sporty but also has a good riding position for longer rides which I intend to do on a regular basis.

Any tips or suggestions?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grow up...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

whatever you get, make sure to talk about it a lot on Quake3world without ever posting pictures

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 10:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should ask yourself why you'd even care about seeing it? Not whether or not I'm going to post pics of it.

I don't care if you get to see it or not, I care about driving it and enjoying it and I'm wondering what others would recommend as a first bike to own. I really like this one, just wondering if it's a bad idea from those with a bit more experience in riding.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm pretty tempted to get a bike license but I'm not sure if I can be bothered with having to take a driving (riding) test again :tard:.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 12:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get a gsx and kill yourself on it.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
I'm pretty tempted to get a bike license but I'm not sure if I can be bothered with having to take a driving (riding) test again :tard:.

Again implies you had one. Lost, expired, taken from you?
Here we have a licence for life, well into out 80s but you have to pay something like $40 - $50 per year for the privilege :smirk: and of course it can be taken from you for multiple offences. Drink driving convictions (high BAC) will easily have it removed for > 6 months,

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dont get a fucking 800cc machine as your first bike, ffs. get a 600cc or 650cc at most, if you need to hit tht number.

the power difference between 600 and 800 is substantial, and trust me, you will not be needing it. I bet both of my balls, you will most likely never outgrow even a 600cc. unless you're gonna be one of those "straight line speed" morons. the beauty of riding is hitting the curves. and that can take years to master, let alone feel the need for a better machine.

The bike I have (2000 suzuki sv650 naked) is a nice start up with enough power to keep you entertained for years. and since that's the only bike I personally know , I can tell you it's fairly inexpensive and very popular.

get a used bike, don't get a new one for a first... you will most likely regret it. It just doest make any logical sense to buy new.

Get anything between a 2000 and 2010, used sv650, and you'll never look back

If you decide to spend any proper money for a better bike, I would suggest to favor one with an ABS system...it's the most substantial feature a bike can have these days that would justify its existence over another.
here's mine... i did some extra work on it to make it very cleaned up / stripped down, but this is basically a 2000 sv650 standard

whatever you end up getting for a first bike, at least get a pair of frame sliders on it to protect most of the frame and main fairings in case of a tip-over.

Also, expect to spend at least 500-600$ getting a proper helmet and gear... if you decide to ride without any gear, atleast don't cheap out on the helmet. my helmet cost $300 and that's just over the base price for a good quality one. DON't spend 100 bucks on your helmet.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 04:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No one can tell you what bike to get, it's far too subjective. Spend hours reading reviews and comparison tests - I favour http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/6/Motorcy ... views.aspx

You'll get all the faggots like Tzatziki whining about not getting a larger capacity bike. If you have any experience riding and a level of maturity you'll be fine. Get whatever bike you want. If you're a fucking idiot then yes, you'll be more likely to kill yourself on a more powerful bike.

Don't buy anything that doesn't have service history or more than 30,000 k's.

You can't really go wrong with bikes these days, so after you have a few in mind go and have a look at them in store and basically choose the one you like the most. The only thing you need to determine is the class of bike you want in regards to the style of riding you want to do. For example don't get a Yamaha R6 if you only want to ride on the street as it is a bike with very little low end torque being very track focussed, or don't get a Hayabusa if you just want to ride to the corner store to get groceries.

Most importantly, once you buy it post a picture on Q3W of an extreme close up of one of the footpegs.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 05:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 05:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
No one can tell you what bike to get, it's far too subjective. Spend hours reading reviews and comparison tests - I favour http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/6/Motorcy ... views.aspx

You'll get all the faggots like Tzatziki whining about not getting a larger capacity bike. If you have any experience riding and a level of maturity you'll be fine. Get whatever bike you want. If you're a fucking idiot then yes, you'll be more likely to kill yourself on a more powerful bike.

You can't really go wrong with bikes these days, so after you have a few in mind go and have a look at them in store and basically choose the one you like the most. The only thing you need to determine is the class of bike you want in regards to the style of riding you want to do. For example don't get a Yamaha R6 if you only want to ride on the street as it is a bike with very little low end torque being very track focussed, or don't get a Hayabusa if you just want to ride to the corner store to get groceries.

Most importantly, once you buy it post a picture on Q3W of an extreme close up of one of the footpegs.

Moron... :olo: ...

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 06:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like my extensive motorcycle knowledge upset Geoff. :olo:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 06:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, anyway kracus, for a light street /standard bike, riding around on 800cc+ is not the same as doing it on a heavier cruiser.... at the least keep that in mind

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:

This. You need to determine your riding style. For example, with me a crotch rocket would be a waste of time and money on my part. I have no desire to go that fast. My bike handles any cornering and speed that I would want to do. Some people, not so much. Only you can determine what kind of bike to get. I ride with people that have Harleys, metric cruisers, and various sport bikes. They all seem to be satisfied with their individual choices.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 10:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Personally, I'm digging an old shovelhead like this for my first bike:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 04:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
dont get a fucking 800cc machine as your first bike, ffs. get a 600cc or 650cc at most, if you need to hit tht number.

the power difference between 600 and 800 is substantial, and trust me, you will not be needing it. I bet both of my balls, you will most likely never outgrow even a 600cc. unless you're gonna be one of those "straight line speed" morons. the beauty of riding is hitting the curves. and that can take years to master, let alone feel the need for a better machine.

The bike I have (2000 suzuki sv650 naked) is a nice start up with enough power to keep you entertained for years. and since that's the only bike I personally know , I can tell you it's fairly inexpensive and very popular.

get a used bike, don't get a new one for a first... you will most likely regret it. It just doest make any logical sense to buy new.

Get anything between a 2000 and 2010, used sv650, and you'll never look back

If you decide to spend any proper money for a better bike, I would suggest to favor one with an ABS system...it's the most substantial feature a bike can have these days that would justify its existence over another.
here's mine... i did some extra work on it to make it very cleaned up / stripped down, but this is basically a 2000 sv650 standard

whatever you end up getting for a first bike, at least get a pair of frame sliders on it to protect most of the frame and main fairings in case of a tip-over.

Also, expect to spend at least 500-600$ getting a proper helmet and gear... if you decide to ride without any gear, atleast don't cheap out on the helmet. my helmet cost $300 and that's just over the base price for a good quality one. DON't spend 100 bucks on your helmet.

Thanks, I had been thinking along the same lines.

I basically want a bike that's sporty but comfortable so I'm thinking sport touring would be ideal for me. I don't want to be slanted over the gas tank for an entire day when I go for a road trip. I just got done doing the written test and it's just as annoying as it was back when I passed my license. Fortunately I work in the building where they do the testing so getting in was pretty easy. I'm going to take the course they offer in town for bike riders as I get 400$ off for insurance, plus... it's not a bad idea.

So hopefully I'll have my bike license by the 19th and I can get a little bit of riding in before the summer ends. Still on the fence as to which bike I want though.

I hear you on getting a 600cc bike though, I've driven bikes before though and my main issue with bikes in the 600 range is that most are sports bikes and I'd like something for touring. How comfortable would you say an sv650 is on a long ride?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 04:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my handlebars are lowered, but a factory sv650 is a lot more upright in position. With mine, I can go for a good 2 hour ride, before I feel the need to break.

here is a factory one:

Lots of people travel far on this thing and like it.
If you're looking for longer periods some people change the seat to better after market alternatives.

If you're not looking for too sporty, this is a good choice. it's kind of a jack of all trades , master of none. It's known to be a good all around bike. not bad for cruising, lots of torque for getting out of the way in the city, and plenty of unf when you decide to do some spirited riding.

Don't mean to pimp this thing out, but it's really great, and it has a big community, so you're gonna have plenty of support if and when you need information on anything. I frequent the svrider.com forums.

Oh and did I mention that it is considered an inexpensive bike? it's one of the cheapest options out there but with very good reputation.

It's definitely not the only bike out there with these characteristics, and if you feel comfortable enough I suggest hitting up some dealerships and ride as many bikes as you can.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 06:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Another thing about the Fazer is that the guy offered to sell it to me for 6,500$ from the dealership. I think they retail for 11,000$ here so I'm getting a really good deal on it. I just checked the suzuki dealership here and they don't even have an SV650's in stock :/

The equivalent Honda option is the CBR650F which goes for 9,400. The SV650F goes for 7.900.

I also just got back from buying my helmet :p.

So far, looks and price and power seem to be why I want the Fazer. Yeah it's more powerful and by-proxy more "Dangerous" but I figure it's how you drive it that matters. If I'm not driving like a clown I suspect it won't matter if it's 650 or 800cc's. I've driven 1000cc bikes before so I respect the bigger bikes. IE: Shit my pants when the front wheel popped up.

So I definitely won't be slamming the throttle down on ANY bike anytime soon.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 06:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pic of the bike, same color I'm looking to buy.

I'm going to give the SV650 a test drive before I buy the fazer though, same as the honda.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 06:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I ever lay down for a bike it'll one bike and one bike only - the Ducati Sport 1000 <3

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 06:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: gayzer :olo:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 07:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
If I ever lay down for a bike it'll one bike and one bike only - the Ducati Sport 1000 <3

I love the naked look of Ducati's, I'd even consider getting one if they weren't so expensive and the dealership wasn't 3 hours away.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lot of potential organ-donors in this thread :up:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i would hit craigslist and just buy a used one from an owner. but that price seems good, and the specs on that bike look good. I'd still try before I buy anything since you're already comfortable with riding bikes.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 03:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

Beautiful bike.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 03:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whatever your decision, go with the one you'll be happy with in the long run. I plan on keeping mine for a very long time.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 04:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is mine btw.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 04:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very nice Randolph.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks. It keeps me smiling. For those interested, it's a 2013 Harley Breakout. 103"(1690cc) motor. I had just installed the Rush slip on exhaust in that pic.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 06:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You could've at least taken your wife's thong out of the picture.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 07:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's Randy's thong.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 07:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually that's Mazda's ol' lady's thong.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 08-07-2014 04:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beautiful bike.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-07-2014 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks, I've put nearly 10,000 miles on it over the last year. Very comfortable riding bike. Longest one way trip so far has been 6 hours. Could have gone much longer. I have a detachable windshield for trips like that.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-07-2014 04:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you could certainly traverse the Bayou in style on that ride

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.