Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Heard of Ambulance Drones?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Heard of Ambulance Drones?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-02-2015 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stumbled across this item this morning and thought these drones do have a future.
I especially like the response times mentioned within.

Your thoughts?

So there 's no doubt about the Dutch!!

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-02-2015 10:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup. Drones, not just for killing.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-02-2015 10:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a cool idea, but it would be more effective to make basic first aid mandatory for all citizens. Europe is more progressive with things like that, in Canada barely anyone knows CPR unless it's a job requirement.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-02-2015 11:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TU Delft nerds for the win.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-02-2015 11:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
It's a cool idea, but it would be more effective to make basic first aid mandatory for all citizens. Europe is more progressive with things like that, in Canada barely anyone knows CPR unless it's a job requirement.

Yes, mandatory CPR/First Aid Training for all. Perhaps birthday milestones like 16/18. 21/25, or 30/35 for those that don't work (ever) and we know they are out there :smirk: and stealing my oxygen.

Perhaps other milestones like last year in school, getting a drivers permit/licence or getting married.
Er, thinking, plenty of people 'live together' and never do it officially. Maybe just tie it to certain birthdays like 20/30/40 & 50.

Yes, more effective would be ideal :idea:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-03-2015 05:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We are all CPR certified and it's the biggest waste of time in the world... It never helps anyone... Actually kills more than it saves...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-03-2015 05:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:

Many employers offer free CPR training and such for their employees. Also, I think the drones are equipped with a camera and speaker so that a paramedic can give realtime instructions to the person who's treating the victim.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-03-2015 05:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Had a training years ago - it's long since expired and if someone would die in front of me i'm not sure whether i'd be able to help in any meaningful way.

The training itself was quite fun i recall, i had this former navy medic dude as a teacher and he entertained himself throughout the course by telling the class godawful stories... i remember one where he was describing how much dick it sucks to give mouth to mouth to a morbidly overweight German fisherman who had a heartattack in a furious storm in the North Sea - landing on a slippery deck from a helicopter, almost falling overboard and taking turns with his buddies because noone could do that shit for more than 30 seconds before vomiting. Cunt died in the end too, lols.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-03-2015 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
It's a cool idea, but it would be more effective to make basic first aid mandatory for all citizens.

terrible idea. load of untrained paramedic wannabees fucking shit up. leave it to the professionals who actually know what they're doing

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-03-2015 10:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
terrible idea. load of untrained paramedic wannabees fucking shit up. leave it to the professionals who actually know what they're doing

Wrong on all counts. I had a first aid/CPR training relatively recently and there they (paramedics giving the training) said it was better to do something than to do nothing. Professional paramedics can't always be on-site soon enough. If someone's heart gives up, you need to act within 4 minutes or the brain starts dying off from oxygen shortage. There's only one certainty: if you stand by doing nothing, the victim isn't going to be any better off. They also said there isn't actually a whole lot you can do wrong if you follow common sense: check if the patient is still breathing, check for obstructions in the throat, don't move patients after an impact (hit by a car or fell from a height) due to possible spinal trauma.

Besides, a basic training that really takes probably no more than 2 hours could greatly improve the effectiveness of giving first aid help by bystanders. Mazda's idea is, IMO, a very good one. People often think it's very complex but it really isn't. It's just about making the patient get through the time it takes for paramedics to arrive as good as possible.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-03-2015 11:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well ok then. i imagine there would be some debate as to who would pay for this training though

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-03-2015 11:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm sure they could give basic instructions to kids in schools to start with, but obviously you could do with refreshing that knowledge regularly after leaving.

It would be interesting to see how much basic first-aid could help the health services though. Someone giving basic first-aid may help avoid an expensive (to the NHS in terms of money and resource etc) trip to A&E when it wasn't needed :shrug:.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-04-2015 12:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Funnily enough, just yesterday, I was speaking to someone who watched a life get saved in the street the day before by someone who had no medical experience except CPR training.

So it's definitely not a waste of time.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-04-2015 12:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
well ok then. i imagine there would be some debate as to who would pay for this training though

I'm sure majopr health insurers could be persuaded to run some fancy calculations as to what would cost them more in the long run, somatic care after the fact or general training before.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 06-04-2015 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 06-04-2015 10:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Stumbled across this item this morning and thought these drones do have a future.
I especially like the response times mentioned within.

This is a great idea until a drone gets caught in a gust of wind, veers into someone and causes an even bigger problem.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-04-2015 10:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes I was thinking along the same lines, so sadly, an all new meaning to air traffic control.

Eraser wrote:
................... basic training that really takes probably no more than 2 hours could greatly improve the effectiveness of giving first aid help by bystanders. Mazda's idea is, IMO, a very good one. People often think it's very complex but it really isn't. It's just about making the patient get through the time it takes for paramedics to arrive as good as possible.

:up: :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.