Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Wireless speakers..?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Wireless speakers..?

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-29-2016 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i am not a fan of mp3 and compressed a la cart music .

my hope is one day super quality high end audio will make a big comeback.

i think the big problem high quality masters stay locked of in the vaults if piracy fear and no understanding of how to monetize it.

even new so- called new high quality stuff is mixed into oblivion of ear pain.

i would like to see all the old masters build right in to the hardware in such a way that it is unremovable and the only way to access it is to hear it threw speakers-thus no way to pirate it in ultra high masters quality., high quality hardware can be made cheap now and tech is better than before(in a way) so all the money could go to the owners of the masters and the publishing rights owners.

and we would win because the beautiful sound and quality.

people are willing to pay for such quality imo

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-29-2016 11:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
all the money could go to the owners of the masters and the publishing rights owners.

so none for the artists then.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-29-2016 11:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-29-2016 03:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:dts:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-29-2016 03:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Wait hang on, i'm confused - does a wifi only connection lead to loss of quality? From what i've been reading this should not be the case... but this mrd guy sure sounds like he knows what he's talking about :paranoid:

My decisions for now are as follows: Definitely going for the Sonos kit, they get great reviews and i'm not a fan of bluetooth. Also i'm going to postpone this for a little bit (unsure if i want to keep my old speakers or replace them, which affects what i should buy), and i'm going to do this in phases (shit is fucking expensive, doing the livingroom first, kitchen in a later stage).

Cheers for the input anyways guys :up:

Sonos is awesome, I think you also get a free year of music Access? Be warned though, it's a fucking money pit. Just one more speaker, then I'll stop.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-31-2016 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
i am not a fan of mp3 and compressed a la cart music .

my hope is one day super quality high end audio will make a big comeback.

i think the big problem high quality masters stay locked of in the vaults if piracy fear and no understanding of how to monetize it.

even new so- called new high quality stuff is mixed into oblivion of ear pain.

i would like to see all the old masters build right in to the hardware in such a way that it is unremovable and the only way to access it is to hear it threw speakers-thus no way to pirate it in ultra high masters quality., high quality hardware can be made cheap now and tech is better than before(in a way) so all the money could go to the owners of the masters and the publishing rights owners.

and we would win because the beautiful sound and quality.

people are willing to pay for such quality imo

the day after i wrote this i started getting sony.com high resolution gear offers emails!

geez i know the gear is there its the source material that is lacking ey!

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-31-2016 11:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol Sony.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-31-2016 02:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol sony up 17.5% on friday! :sly:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-31-2016 03:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just dont buy any of that shit at best buy. If best buy sells a speaker, dont buy it.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-01-2016 02:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Sonos is awesome, I think you also get a free year of music Access? Be warned though, it's a fucking money pit. Just one more speaker, then I'll stop.

God, i caved and bought a Play 5 to start with - it's absolutely great. And you're right, i'm already thinking about the next one... damn, this might have been a mistake after all :owned:

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 02-01-2016 05:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Should've just bought one of these and take it with you when you walk around :p.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-01-2016 03:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

God, i caved and bought a Play 5 to start with - it's absolutely great. And you're right, i'm already thinking about the next one... damn, this might have been a mistake after all :owned:

Did you get the free music service?

redline
redline
PostPosted: 02-01-2016 10:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

Pics?

I just watched a review. It looks nice, but $500 USD is a lot of money for a single speaker IMO.

If you're getting two, that's $1000 USD. At that point why not start looking for a real sound system?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-01-2016 11:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They sound awesome, all of them. Not sure how they stack up for the audiophile but they are good enough for me, only I haven't bought one :tear:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-02-2016 06:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
I just watched a review. It looks nice, but $500 USD is a lot of money for a single speaker IMO.

If you're getting two, that's $1000 USD. At that point why not start looking for a real sound system?

From the viewpoint of an audiophile you're absolutely correct i think, you could probably get a better sounding kit for less. I'm not an audiophile though, and things like 'must have no cables' and 'ease of use' were important factors.

It fills the room with a rich wall of sound and it's honestly a bit hard to tell it's just one speaker, weirdly enough. So i'm quite happy really! Getting another one of these seems like overkill, though at some stage i might add some Play 3's to it. Or something. I'm not sure what the next step will be really, getting this one also gave me the luxury to postpone any such decisions for a while.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 02-02-2016 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
From the viewpoint of an audiophile you're absolutely correct i think, you could probably get a better sounding kit for less. I'm not an audiophile though, and things like 'must have no cables' and 'ease of use' were important factors.

It fills the room with a rich wall of sound and it's honestly a bit hard to tell it's just one speaker, weirdly enough. So i'm quite happy really! Getting another one of these seems like overkill, though at some stage i might add some Play 3's to it. Or something. I'm not sure what the next step will be really, getting this one also gave me the luxury to postpone any such decisions for a while.

Yeah it looks like they achieved their design goals well. Ease of use plus no wires sells haha, I'm glad that you like it :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-12-2016 05:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So how are the Sonos set ups treating people on here? I had a 20% off code for Sonos and I used it to acquire a Play 5 which should be here on Tuesday. I am excited to see how it sounds :)

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 01:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Still very happy with mine, haven't gotten around to buying more.

Tip for when your new toy arrives; immediately turn off Loudness, which is on by default for some reason.

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 06-20-2016 06:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been using mine for a few years and still love how simple it is just to play music. The Playbar and sub work like a champ every time when watching TV and sound pretty amazing, just a bit expensive.

I have not tried the new Play 5, but I hated the original.

I have the play 3 and the sound quality is amazing as is the bass response.

The Play 1 is all you will ever need for a single room, you will not understand the sound that comes out of that thing. I started using this for outside parties as well, it covers my 30 x 30 patio area with sound nicely.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 09:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can you really get good sound out of a wireless-speaker?
Im still running a pair of B&W DM305, Nice sound for a nice price!
Wired up with some kimber-8pr to my ol Technics it sounds great/at least for me ;)

I would never buy wireless speakers... Better buy a AKG or Sennheiser Headset ;)

redline
redline
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
Can you really get good sound out of a wireless-speaker?
Im still running a pair of B&W DM305, Nice sound for a nice price!
Wired up with some kimber-8pr to my ol Technics it sounds great/at least for me ;)

I would never buy wireless speakers... Better buy a AKG or Sennheiser Headset ;)

Headphones are a solo experience, unlike speakers. I prefer a proper sound system when possible, too, but wireless speakers win with respect to plug & play and portability.

Got pics of your setup?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.