Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Gear VR

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Gear VR

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-11-2016 06:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's low res, not very sharp, didn't cost me much, but it's blowing my mind. I can only imagine how good the really expensive HTC Vive and Oculus Rift paired with a beast of a PC is going to be when released at the end of the month.

Let me tell you, if you've not experienced virtual reality, and you have a compatible phone, you need this. What these developers have created is nothing short of incredible. :up: Everything you see literally all around above and below you is life sized or larger. My jaw has not lifted from the floor all day.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-11-2016 07:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds immersive... Looks like I might have to buy a smart phone after all.

https://www.choice.com.au/electronics-a ... -vr-review

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 03-11-2016 07:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-11-2016 07:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's free with s7 ...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-12-2016 12:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, waiting for Vive. Or Occulus. Can't decide.
Or augmented.
Fuck, what 3D printer should I buy? FFF, SLA, what? Kind of the same situation. And they have been on the market for some years now. Answer for myself: just don't. Wait and see.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-12-2016 02:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HTC Vive is the one to go for by many accounts, it has the better tech. This video is worth watching and he really thinks the Vive is superior to the Rift.

https://youtu.be/iWproPHhHd0

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 03-12-2016 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've still not tried out any of these VR headses, I won't be trying them out with suspense the horror games on offer that's for sure :/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-12-2016 06:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It looks really cool but I wonder what happens when you try to build a "real" game with it that's not restricted to a 5x5 meter area. The teleportation game is a real cheap way of getting around that and not a viable solution. I think most VR games will use traditional controls where the player is static and you move using something like an Xbox controller, rendering the Vive useless for most VR games.

One thing I wonder about is how disorienting it is due to eye movement not changing your peripheral vision in the game world. Or does the Vive track your eyes as well?

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-12-2016 07:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
It looks really cool but I wonder what happens when you try to build a "real" game with it that's not restricted to a 5x5 meter area. The teleportation game is a real cheap way of getting around that and not a viable solution. I think most VR games will use traditional controls where the player is static and you move using something like an Xbox controller, rendering the Vive useless for most VR games.

One thing I wonder about is how disorienting it is due to eye movement not changing your peripheral vision in the game world. Or does the Vive track your eyes as well?

Yeah, I don't know how much the gaming will take off. I think it will do quite well, especially on the PS4. But for me, I'm just excited by the experience of walking around and looking in virtual reality spaces. It's just awesome.

The only thing I found disorienting was standing up and turning 360 to see everything around me and then not knowing where I'm facing in my actual room when I stop moving. It's nice to know that if I should lose my balance, I'll fall onto my sofa or bed and not into a brick wall :P A swivel chair would be good.

Peripheral is limited due to the sides of the headset blocking out some side vision, but nothing disorienting and works exactly the same as in real life. It's amazing though. Like in this one animation I downloaded, a planet with 3 rings looking much like saturn, moves slowly towards my direction, then overhead and then into the distance. Even if it goes right behind me, I can turn around 180 and see it behind me. When it goes overhead, it's HUGE, like a real object that is several feet across. It's so hard to describe, you really have to experience it to know. But it feels so real. From what I gather, I believe that with the Vive and Oculus Rift, you can lean forward and around corners to see things just like in real life. You can squat and actually be below whatever you're in front of instead of the scenery following you. All due to the various tracking sensors placed in the room.

This will make good use of the motion controllers on the Vive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TPXop3ONPk

Imagine a real life DM6 campgrounds that someone physically built with bricks and mortar that you could walk around, lifesize. This is exactly what you'd experience in Quakelive if they made it for VR.

I'm going to be checking out google street view in VR later.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-12-2016 09:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seems good for non gaming... Like for checking out real estate or vacation spots. Or work or educational applications...

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-12-2016 09:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iow stuff geoff never needs...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-12-2016 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does anyone even know wtf the Jew is talking about? Didn't think so...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-12-2016 11:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I think most VR games will use traditional controls where the player is static and you move using something like an Xbox controller, rendering the Vive useless for most VR games.

It'll never develop that way. Too many people get motion sickness from having locomotion and head tracking disconnected from one another. I think there will always be multiple ways to navigate in VR. Some games will use teleportation, some games will limit you to sitting in a cockpit, but there is room for variety and innovation. Sticking to a conventional controller would prevent VR from taking off IMO.

Check out Hover Junkers, their VR movement is interesting.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-12-2016 04:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, and this is cool

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-30-2016 02:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm playing Quake 1 in VR and using a bluetooth Xbox style controller I bought. It's pretty cool, if a little dizziness inducing.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.