Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Steam Controller

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Steam Controller

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-10-2016 07:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I almost got 305lbs twice on decline yesterday.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-10-2016 07:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kinda like how I almost cured world hunger by skipping lunch

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-10-2016 10:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
And why does Steam have to be in big picture mode to configure it? Isn't big picture mode to make joypad use easier, yet the point of this pad is to have mouse-like functionality?

I R confuzzed.

It's meant for having mouse-like functionality while sitting on your couch behind your TV. If you want mouse-like functionality while sitting behind your desk, you can use, well, a mouse.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-11-2016 03:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am now back from Rome with the Steam controller waiting. I will be doing a food shop then giving it a spin later this evening...I will post my thoughts :up:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-11-2016 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

Decline is a useless lift... Your welcome...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-11-2016 09:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why would I be? What's so hard to understand about what I said?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-11-2016 09:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wait, let me clarify. Big Picture mode is meant for use when you hook up your PC to your living room television like a console. That's when you need the steam controller.

Valve just assumed that when you use normal desktop mode, you're probably sitting behind your desk and thus will use keyboard + mouse instead of the steam controller.

Having said that, it would've been better if Valve allowed configuring the thing in both modes (assuming you really can't).

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-11-2016 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
YourGrandpa wrote:

Decline is a useless lift... Your welcome...

I also do flat, incline and dips. Do you even lift bro?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-11-2016 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geoff lifts every time his wife rings the bell for a soiled diaper.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I use it for everything. if you play an rpg for example, you wanna use the stick for movement with the right track pad for mouselook. Are you attempting to play using the left trackpad for movement or something? That seems like a waste of a trackpad kinda, especially since you can bind the pads as touch menus and have access to whatever keyboard bind you want. I always use the stick for movement, even for games where you'd think you'd want a dpad the stick is really precise

I find that using the track pads to emulate xinput gamepad sticks is usually shitty, so that might be another problem. I have better luck if I bind keyboard keys and emulate a keyboard/mouse. Some games support controller/mouse without having to change anything in the menus. If I have the option, I'll keep everything set to gamepad and just change the right pad to mouse instead of joystick emulation.

You can do some cool stuff. In FPS games, you can make it so you can push the stick a little bit to trigger the walk binding, and all the way to trigger run. It makes it feel like analog movement if the game doesn't support controllers.

The motion control is really good too. I usually have a higher sensitivity on the track pad for mouse movement, if my thumb is touching the pad it enables motion control so I can make small aim adjustments. In games with aim down sights, I have it so I pull the trigger a little bit for the sight and pull all the way to shoot. You can configure hip fire, so if you pull the trigger all the way it shoots without aiming down the sights.

One thing I would recommend is that you try binding your shoot, click, gas, or whatever you use the most as left trigger. For me, it's more comfy and precise. If I have it on the right trigger I start to get like a claw grip real quick and it's not that comfy. The index finger and thumb are connected, so hitting the trigger can cause my thumb to spasm and fuck up my aim.

It isn't as comfy as other controllers but it can do whatever the FUCK you want and usually better, so that makes it okay. It also isn't as good as having a keyboard and mouse, but it's a controller so that makes it okay too.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-13-2016 01:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't really get this one.
Has he written a script that sends controller inputs to the computer, which has an application running that reads the controller input and maps that to certain notes and plays them?

If so, then what's the added value or interest factor of the Steam Controller being part of this? Would be more interesting if he showed he's making sensible music by actually pressing buttons on the controller itself :shrug:

edit:
ah, wait, I misunderstood. It appears the PC is feeding haptic feedback data into the controller which then uses its "rumble" to vibrate at a certain frequency and generate a tone that way.
That is in fact quite clever :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.