Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        FCC planning to repeal net neutrality

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: FCC planning to repeal net neutrality

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
I dunno about you guys but the last 4 places I've lived there has always been two reasonably priced choices for internet. 50Mbit cable or 5Mbit DSL. Sure there is competition..but not really, right?

I live in a major city. Central. Where we should have "every" telecom available.

We have 2 options. (Not counting shit like hughesnet or other BS garbage internet options)
Cox
AT&T

Cox is moving gig fiber in with 500 megs in place now.
AT&T caps out at 48 megs, in 5% of the city. The rest is 24 or less.

Thankfully COX is mostly awesome. But thats how it is for most people. Even in "major cities". Telecoms have shit wrapped up in nice little bows where they can and cant lay lines. Theres all kinds of state legislation that keeps this shit happening.

Telecom is a joke. Even WITH net neutrality like, theres already tons of monopoly bullshit behind the scenes. Theres a reason you dont see ATT and VERIZON and other companys side by side in a lot of areas. Places where X company owns the copper, they've managed to not allow fiber and cable companys in the door. Its really a giant mess. Theres a few states that its not as bad, like California, but MOST states have some sort of bullshit agreement back from the bell telecom days when they did the splits dividing the countrys states up. Its a giant fucking mess. The things you learn working in corporate telecom. Jesus.

We're so fucked if they can do whatever they want. Soooo fucked.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-09-2017 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/09/fcc ... zon-shill/
Quote:
Gizmodo has obtained video of Pai trying to roast himself at the Federal Communications Bar Assocation's annual event, including a pre-recorded skit where an actual Verizon executive (senior VP Kathy Grillo) talks about wanting to "brainwash and groom a Verizon puppet" to become the FCC chairman, with Pai responding that it sounds like an "awesome" idea.

Seriously, fuck this guy and his giant coffee mug.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-14-2017 10:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

RIP

Anyone watch the hearing? what a joke.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-14-2017 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well that didn't go well. i just wonder how this cancer is going to affect the rest of the world :|

redline
redline
PostPosted: 12-14-2017 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-15-2017 02:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:

Yeah that article reads like a utopian vision of what ISP's will do when net neutrality is gone.
Besides, I have no real beef with Google trying to improve the quality of their services as it doesn't actively degrade the quality of other services.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-15-2017 04:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:

this is the point where this guy lost me:

Quote:
And what better way to stifle competition in the market, than have these smaller companies subject to a bevy of regulations you’re free of.

he throws out the scary word 'regulation' without explanation of what that actually means because as we all know regulation was invented by Satan in order to reverse 1776 and take away everyone's guns and make us all commies

ffs :dts:

redline
redline
PostPosted: 12-15-2017 06:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
ToxicBug wrote:

Yeah that article reads like a utopian vision of what ISP's will do when net neutrality is gone.
Besides, I have no real beef with Google trying to improve the quality of their services as it doesn't actively degrade the quality of other services.

I agree, there has to be some sort of middle ground between all the apocalyptical net neutrality proponents and articles like his. I guess we'll see where it goes.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-15-2017 07:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So they faked comments supporting the repeal, using people's actual names and addresses.
how is this not overturned instantly (and that moron Pai jailed).

lol usa again

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 12-15-2017 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Drain the swamp

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.