Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        TNF

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: TNF

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 12:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know your into your RC car n stuff, do you use a petrol/nitro truck? Basically im lookin at either making (will turn out crap) or buying (wont be crap but dunno if its what i'll want) an RC car. Now i need it to have alot of power for a little thing simply so i can wheel spin. How many bhp am i lookin at for that? Any recommendations?

So far i have been looking at this:

http://www.gizmos-uk.com/Nitro%20Cars.html

Check the Subaru out
Now would there be a way it make it RWD?

Cheers dude

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 01:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sup slag !

my head hurts :tear:

**goes to work**

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 01:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

awwww
Good nite tho?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 01:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dunno :shrug:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 01:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 01:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Expensive hobby mate.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 01:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think Purchase would be expensive, but after that it wouldnt cost that much?
Depends on what TNF says really, it is quite expensive after the initial outlay then i will not do it as im a poor person >:E

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 01:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Depends on your luck. With the faster nitro models they're VERY easy to completely trash.

If you've got a decent area to use it in (I.E a really really quiet, long straight road, or a well-kept patch of abandoned tarmac) then you''ve got a great basis, but if you're running it around small streets, or a badly-swept patch, the chances of flipping it or smacking the curb are pretty high.

It's been a few years since I used them though, they might be stronger now?

Beggar@Q3W
Beggar@Q3W
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 01:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@foo
If he is really a don, there should be no problem as for courses and costs. :icon34:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 01:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmmmm i see your point foo....

It's Sabotage!
It's Sabotage!
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 01:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

blue isn't very fast, go for the red.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 07:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh, remember shouting at that bloke you dont like, then told some crack whore to put her growler away, wacked my head spinning round on the bike rail outside walkabout, made 2 new friends on the way home, got in and thought id watch a film till i go to sleep... turns out i never made it past the credits

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 08:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well..

I've not had a lot of experience with models like that subaru there (street cars), but I'll give you my opinion.
First off - what Foo said is fairly accurate about cost. It is expensive up front with the initial investment, and can be expensive, depending on your luck. If you are an inexperienced driver, I'd not recommend getting a super fast street car like that, as your driving skills will not be what they should to handle something that fast. My truck hits about 40 mph, and at that speed it looks like it is absolutely screaming. It took me a few weeks of practice before I was really proficient at handling it and not flipping it when turning fast or crashing when I jumped. Some RC cars are more durable than others, but as a rule it is not extremely cheap to fix them. Sometimes you'll crash and get lucky and just have to replace a cheap part, but other times you won't be so lucky. That being said, if you are careful, take care of the engine, don't do stupid stuff, and drive it in a wide open space with no risk of crashing into objects - you will not have to put much money into it except for fuel, tires, glow plugs, battery packs (but not too often) maybe a replacement servo here and there.

I don't picture you using a car like that for jumping or anything too crazy, so if you are careful I don't think you'd have to worry too much.

Now, on the plus side, if you are a person who likes to tinker with stuff, you'll have a blast with it. Learning to properly tune nitro engines is a skill, and it is fun to tweak things to get that last little bit of power out of the engine. I'm still learning that part.

I would recommend an off-road machine for a beginner, something a bit more entry level that will be durable and still very fast, and let you take it off the street if you desire.

Here's mine - the HPI Savage 25:

[lvlshot]http://www.howscienceworks.com/savage.jpg[/lvlshot]
[lvlshot]http://www.howscienceworks.com/truck1024.jpg[/lvlshot]

The blue body is one that I painted. The bigger wheels are ones that I bought separate. A truck like this gives you a bit more freedom to go where you want.

Monster trucks can be unwieldy though. Once you get the controls down they are very fun. That thing will jump 30-40 feet, and the 8-inch shocks absorb all the force beautifully. Plus, the construction of the savage makes it VERY durable - everything is wedged in between two steel plates.
The competitor to the Savage (and the most popular RC monster truck) is the Traxxas T-maxx. However, I've hear from owners of the T-Maxx that it has a few parts that break all the damn time. My savage has had the shit kicked out of it without a problem...but unfortunately, the hitting the curb at a high speed head on was a bit much (however once I took it apart, I saw that the damage wasn't that bad).

Soooo, to get back to the original point here - I'd recommend something like a stadium truck for a beginner.

Here are some examples:
HPI Nitro Rush: Image
Actually just check out HPI's site
http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm

Check out Traxxas's site also:
http://www.traxxas.com/

And Team Losi:
http://www.teamlosi.com/

Its a big decision to make, so don't rush into your first Nitro car. I'm not saying that Subaru wouldn't be a good car, I'm just thinking you might want more versatility after awhile. It still looks like a nice machine.

A guy at the hobby shop told me, last night, that his favority and most recommended Stadium Truck was this one:
http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Defaul ... D=LOSA0846

Anyhow, I hope that helps. If you're smart and careful, you will just be paying for routine maintenance and fuel.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Made any decisions Don?

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 07-10-2005 04:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

get a Kyosho MP777 SP1 like mine and we'll race

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-11-2005 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok. meet me at the track at noon.

PostPosted: 07-11-2005 10:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

where do you live

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-11-2005 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

washington state.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 07-11-2005 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
washington state.

give him a sec, he's googling

PostPosted: 07-11-2005 12:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that would be a long drive for you. feel free to forfeit

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-11-2005 12:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TNF, after long thought and talkin 2 some people i have decided not to go ahead with this unless i was gonna be dedicated. And i wont be. So its a no go area unless i find a tidy car for no more than £100

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-11-2005 03:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you want one for pure fun, that is low maintenance and easily portable, but customizable as you feel like putting more money into it, the Team Losi Mini-T is a lot of fun.

I have two of them, and they are pretty fun when you get a few people together to drive/race them. They'll move along pretty good for a small car.
http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Defaul ... D=LOSB0200

Or the Pro version

http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Defaul ... D=LOSB0210

PostPosted: 07-11-2005 03:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I had a cool toy like that i'd rob a bank with it. :smirk:

let's see if anyone catches this reference.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-11-2005 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck that, id strap some poor twats number plates on the thing and zip past the speed camera a few times

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.