Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-07-2009 01:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or check out Russian Ark which is one 96 minute long shot. Brilliant in everyway.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-07-2009 01:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Four Christmases - 7/10

Good mindless CHristmas fun with some extremely funny bits thrown in for good meassure. Never notice how fit Reese Witherspoon is though...

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 12-07-2009 01:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Or check out Russian Ark which is one 96 minute long shot. Brilliant in everyway.

Jesus christ :| HOW?!!?

*googles*

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 10:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

finally saw Up.
a lot more engaging than i expected. talking dogs couldve used less screentime tho.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

stuntcock wrote:
Keep up the good work sliver, I typically read your first and last chapter...

lol

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 11:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

Empire is 485 minutes long, one shot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196530/

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 12:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not really a film though to be fair...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 02:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually it is. We even studied it in one of my film courses. Asthetics of Film I think it was...

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 05:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pedantry++;
thx for that. DC is right.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-11-2009 06:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haha, whatever man. I've never said anything about my film studies until now. I was merely pointing out that my professor wouldn't have incorporated it into the course if it wasn't a film.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-11-2009 06:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just because something is on a film medium doesnt mean its a movie

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 12-11-2009 06:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Extract - 7/10

New Mike Judge flick.
The next Office Space it ain't, and also Idiocracy was better.
Meanders on a bit without much sense of purpose, but pleasant enough to kill an hour and a half of your time.

Jason Bateman adequately plays the tormented yuppie he always plays.
The ever delicious Mila Kunis and an unrecognizable, fully bearded and long haired Ben Affleck (who I usually loathe) are the main attraction.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 12-11-2009 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
just because something is on a film medium doesnt mean its a movie

Plus what sort of masochist would want to sit through 485 minutes of *anything*.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 12-11-2009 07:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Truthiness... Personally i can't stand anything Warhol ever made, i find it pretty much the opposite of art. And no, the fact that that was his intention does not make it art. All his work is bereft of emotion and purpose, only the dimwitted and uncultured feign appreciation of his ghastly creations. Fuck that guy.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-11-2009 07:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: at the conclusion
you sir, crack me up.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-11-2009 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Truthiness... Personally i can't stand anything Warhol ever made, i find it pretty much the opposite of art. And no, the fact that that was his intention does not make it art. All his work is bereft of emotion and purpose, only the dimwitted and uncultured feign appreciation of his ghastly creations. Fuck that guy.

QFT. :up:

Warhol made that stupid Empire "film" and painted a fucking soup can. Wow. What a "talented genius"...as much a "genius" as Ed Wood. :rolleyes:

The only reason he was famous was because he was one of the ugliest human beings who ever lived and snobbish, artsy fartsy hippie fags convinced themselves he was worth talking about. Seriously...he could have huffed out a three-coiler corn turd on a fucking plate or made a stick man out of empty cans of Spam and self-important morons would have said it was awesome. "It evokes an emotion in me when I look at it." Sorry...that's just the qualudes talking.

Abstract art isn't art and will never be...it's simply stupid...there is no point to it at all. Every time I meet a uppity abstract art fan I want to brain them with a rock and display their shattered corpse in public as an "abstract art" piece...no doubt evoking an emotional response from viewers.

The best thing Andy Warhol did was die. :up:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-11-2009 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

one could say it was an art to get so much cash 4 that stuff tho ey

:theywantobelieve:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-11-2009 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cars

a very very good movie

absolute full of brilliance

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 12-11-2009 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Public Enemies: 6/10. I think I may like this more if I watch it again. It is very much like the Murder of Jesse James flick...a collection of scenes/set pieces rather than a linear narrative...however its got a lot more shootouts and a lot less art fag music (cued to let you know how important and profound the story is, natch). Depp is great and very convincing. Worth a rent at least.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 12-13-2009 05:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Moon - Blood great/10.

Second film I've loved (First District 9) to be built on "pennies" really, just 5 million to make it. Totally amazing film in every way, can't really fault it at all. Again, the CGI and effects were pretty much perfect... Yet I've seen films with budgets 10x as high that look like arse.

All these popular hacks could learn a thing all too from directors and teams like this.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 12-13-2009 06:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a client a few months ago who ran an art gallery and WORSHIPPED Andy Warhol. She constantly reminded me that she was best friends with his photographer, and every other word out of that vapid, selfish, socialite cunt's mouth was about Andy Warhol. (The other words were about about herself.) I can't believe I never told that bitch to go fuck herself. Oh well, I guess if you happen to be a cunt and you don't want people to kick you in yours, you should pay them $200 an hour for their company.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 12-13-2009 04:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Moon is indeed very good, just finished watching it. It reminds me a little of cube in that it's filmed in only a few environments, so it's actually up to the story to impress, rather than leaving it up to hammy effects and stunts. The music is also very good.

Kevin Spacey, too <3

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-13-2009 04:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
a thing all too

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-14-2009 01:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gamer = 8/10 - The story isn't exactly original but the production design, cinematography, editing and audio are top notch. The stunts are pretty good as well. Definitely worth a watch purely for entertainment value but it really slows down near the end.

Also...one of the best lines I've heard in a while:

"I need you to get me something."
"What?"
"Drunk."

:olo:

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 12-15-2009 08:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Inglourious Basterds: 8/10 Pretty fucking great.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-15-2009 09:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Inglourious Basterds is pretty fucking great.

I just saw Paradise Now and it's definitely worth a watch, gotta watch it one more time before I rate it I think. It's a Palestinian movie about two guys in the west bank who embark on a suicide mission in Israel. Pretty interesting.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 12-16-2009 04:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saw Avatar tonight, bloody fantastic film, awesome story, great 3D work and some mind blowing effects. Tempted to go see it again, just as soon as I get James Camerons jizz out of my eyes.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 12-18-2009 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Impressive visually, enough so to recommend the movie on that alone. Not overdone really (low wank factor) for a movie that took 10 years to make.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-18-2009 07:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I liked it.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-18-2009 07:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 12-18-2009 10:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cross-posting because I wouldn't want Geebs and the fanclub to miss my review in the Avatar thread

James Cameron’s long-awaited Avatar, sold for months as a cinematic “game-changer,” is finally here, and both the best and the worst thing that can be said for the visionary director’s decade-long pet project is that it is exactly what it looks like.

On the one hand, it is a leap forward in action film-making from one of today’s foremost auteurs, marrying real-life acting with breathtaking computer-generated imagery on a scale never achieved before. On the other hand, Avatar is a disagreeably by-the-numbers morality tale about capitalism and colonialism which predictably pits bloodthirsty, profit-hungry marines against a native population of noble earth worshipers.

We are introduced to the world of Pandora through Jake Sully (Sam Worthington), a disabled former marine given the opportunity to earn himself a new, working pair of legs by infiltrating the society of the indigenous Na’vi culture.

Pandora’s most valuable mineral resource—named “unobtainium” in a vexingly cutesy moment that must have seemed to Cameron as though it would get lost in the minutiae of his world-building—is concentrated right beneath the temple-like Hometree of the local Na’vi tribe, and human business-types want it.

Running the corporate operation is administrator Parker Selfridge (Giovanni Ribisi), a brash entrepreneur with no belief in the existence of setbacks. And heading security—perhaps contributing to Selfridge’s myopia—is the bigoted and abrasive Colonel Quaritch (Stephen Lang), essentially Cruella de Vil in army fatigues.

With bulldozers en route to the Na’vi Hometree through the dense Pandoran jungle, Jake and his research team have a matter of weeks to gain the trust of the Na’vi and convince them to relocate from their traditional territories to avoid all-out war.

However, Jake’s time spent with the Na’vi causes an inexorable acculturation, for which Avatar was lampooned on a South Park episode as “Dances with Smurfs.” Ultimately, “Dances with Pocahontas in FernGully” would be more apropos, but the underlying issue is that, having been marketed as a wildly original story, Avatar is in fact anything but.

Even overlooking the question of originality, Avatar’s slavish adherence to convention nearly eclipses the natural beauty of Pandora’s landscapes and wildlife.

The Na’vi are a gentle, spiritual and communal people with profound respect for nature—bien sûr. Set against them are the tyrannical military caricature and the icon of heartless corporate greed, two broad-stroke clichés neither relatable nor understandable as human characters, despite traces of plausibility. When Jake is lost in the woods, of course he meets a beautiful Na’vi—the daughter of her tribe’s chieftain, no less—who ultimately falls deeply in love with him. Of course he will love her back, change his allegiance, and help to lead the Na’vi against human colonization. Of course it will climax with awesomely violent warfare.

Aggravating this numbing predictability is the disappointing familiarity of Pandora. The inhabitants are bipedal humanoids, with the generic African tribe as their terrestrial analogue. Sure, the forest is sprinkled liberally with bio-luminescence, but the flowers are just deep-sea tube worms and the fauna—including hammerhead-rhinoceroses and parrot-pterodactyls—are symmetrical reconfigurations of earth animals.

However—and this is a big however—Avatar’s saving grace is the sheer audacity of its vision and execution. Even when we know exactly where he’s going, which is most of the time in Avatar, Cameron makes the journey enjoyable.

For example, there is a classic stock scene—as recycled in King Kong, Star Wars, and this year’s Star Trek—in which the hero is attacked by a monster which is then devoured by an even more fearsome monster, and so on. Cameron gives it to us once more in Avatar, but with such breathless energy that it almost feels new again.

The film is full of moments of sheer awe, from Jake’s discovering the wildlife of Pandora to his first experience of flight, from the ceremonies of the Na’vi to the beautifully shot chaos of total war. And make no mistake, there is enough action here to satisfy the fans Cameron earned with Terminator, Aliens, and True Lies.

If anything, Avatar’s real weakness is that it does the representation of native peoples a disservice (as did The Last Samurai, among others) by depicting indigenous populations as reliant on external salvation when they conflict with “civilization.” And by assigning worth to the Na’vi partly on the basis of their functioning biological Wi-Fi network, Avatar begs uncomfortable questions about the status of their real-world analogues, whose spirituality does not manifest in breathtakingly visible ways.

But most importantly, despite impossible hype, Avatar succeeds on the fundamental level of transporting us to a different world. The message is an important one: might does not make right. The medium is an effective one: lush 3-D as you have never seen it before. Like Jurassic Park on steroids, Avatar is a rollicking good time.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 12-18-2009 10:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

District 9 .. score 8/10
Really cool movie shot not far from where i live.. Digital effects are amazing .. very funny and accurate bits if your were familiar with the different cultures in the movie.
Not a political story but replace the Aliens with the slum living South African and there would be little difference.
One of the most original movies i have ever seen .. i am not sure how the world would rate this movie "probably low" but i must honestly say for the cool factor, originality,great sounds and special effect i gave this one an 8.

Loved the Railgun and the Mech
headshots :olo:

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 12-18-2009 10:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ I just got a 56" TV and Star Trek on blu-ray blew me away. I loved District 9 in theatres, it's an ASAP blu-ray pick-up (along with LOTR, Matrix, Watchmen, ...)

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 12-19-2009 03:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rly? i thought the book was a bit mediocre

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 12-19-2009 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok, sliver just called James "King of SFX Mega-budget Wankfests" Cameron an auteur. Yeah. Him, Michael Bay, and Werner Herzog.
Welcome to the foe list. Say hi to plained and piddla for me in your next moronic review.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.