Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-09-2010 04:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wanted to leave about 2 minutes in.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-09-2010 04:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
DRuM wrote:
'Inglorious Basterds' 10/10. What can I say other than, really enjoyed it.

Christoph Waltz was the best thing about that film.

^ truth

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-09-2010 06:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed. He was brilliant.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 03-09-2010 06:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
I wanted to leave about 2 minutes in.

Do you like any of Burton's previous work?

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 03-09-2010 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2012: 6/10. Big and dumb but I have a soft spot for global disaster flicks w/ arresting visuals.

A Serious Man: 6/10. For a Cohen Bras movie this was a little disappointing. Some nice moments to be sure but too specific to be anything other than a middle of the roader in their canon.

Up in the Air: 7/10. Would've been a 8 or so without the forced and annoying 'twist' near the end. It felt hollow and unconsidered (may have been handled much more deftly in the book but whatever).

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-09-2010 09:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hannibal wrote:
A Serious Man: 6/10. For a Cohen Bras movie this was a little disappointing. Some nice moments to be sure but too specific to be anything other than a middle of the roader in their canon.

give it some time for digestion.

also go and rent/obtain "the man from earth" (and don't read up on it before watching)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-09-2010 10:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

from the wiki

Quote:
The Man from Earth is a 2007 science fiction film written by Jerome Bixby and directed by Richard Schenkman. The film stars David Lee Smith as John Oldman, the protagonist of the story. The screenplay for this movie was conceived by Jerome Bixby in the early 1960s and was completed on his death bed in April 1998, making it his final piece of work.[2] The movie gained recognition in part for being widely distributed through Internet peer-to-peer networks and its producer publicly thanked users of these networks for this.

Quote:
In what may be an unprecedented move, the producer of this film, Eric D. Wilkinson IMDb, has publicly thanked users of BitTorrent who have distributed the movie without express permission, saying that it has lifted the profile of this product far beyond the financier's expectations.[15] Producers Schenkman (sellingrs), Bixby (Emerson_Bixby) and Wilkinson (EWilkinson100) have all written comments on IMDb forums and responded to questions from fans.[citation needed]

so go ahead and download.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-10-2010 12:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
sure, be different with your ratings.
fuck you

Calm down Randy.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-10-2010 12:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
from the wiki

Quote:
The Man from Earth is a 2007 science fiction film written by Jerome Bixby and directed by Richard Schenkman. The film stars David Lee Smith as John Oldman, the protagonist of the story. The screenplay for this movie was conceived by Jerome Bixby in the early 1960s and was completed on his death bed in April 1998, making it his final piece of work.[2] The movie gained recognition in part for being widely distributed through Internet peer-to-peer networks and its producer publicly thanked users of these networks for this.

Quote:
In what may be an unprecedented move, the producer of this film, Eric D. Wilkinson IMDb, has publicly thanked users of BitTorrent who have distributed the movie without express permission, saying that it has lifted the profile of this product far beyond the financier's expectations.[15] Producers Schenkman (sellingrs), Bixby (Emerson_Bixby) and Wilkinson (EWilkinson100) have all written comments on IMDb forums and responded to questions from fans.[citation needed]

so go ahead and download.

bant

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-10-2010 12:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alice - 5/10

Right from the start, the movie expected me to be sold. I wasn't.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 03-12-2010 03:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hurt Locker: 8/10. Quite good but frankly it faced some weak competition in the best picture race.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-12-2010 05:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't believe anyone could rate Hurt Locker anything higher than a 6.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-12-2010 06:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:

i agree, i went to see it in the theater due to the main actor's role on a TV show called "The Unusuals", and it was boring as shit..

There was ~3 situations lasting ~5 mins that where entertaining... the rest was rather bland.

it was kinda like watching a janitor work at a high school.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-12-2010 08:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:

Hey let's ask BKB what he thinks of The Hurt Locker. :idea:

Oh wait... :olo:

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 03-12-2010 09:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:

What can I say? It just sucked me in. If I watched it again, I'd probably dip it down to a 7 or so. There really isn't much of a story and we don't learn shit about any of the characters...but for me the rising tension, just based on the environment and bomb teching stuff, was palpable in almost every frame. As a best picture candidate though I agree that it was a rather weak winner.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-12-2010 10:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The tension in The Hurt Locker was probably it's only real redeeming quality. It's the only thing that sorta "sucked me in" as well...but at the end of the day the film is pretty hollow.

I feel the same way about Paranormal Activity...there were a few scenes in that movie that had some tension...but overall the movie sucked hairy goat balls.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-13-2010 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

West World

Clicky

Quote:
A robot malfunction creates havoc and terror for unsuspecting vacationers at a futuristic, adult-themed amusement park.

Showing its age now (1973 :smirk: )

Still a reasonable watch 6/10

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-13-2010 06:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
West World

Clicky

Quote:
A robot malfunction creates havoc and terror for unsuspecting vacationers at a futuristic, adult-themed amusement park.

Showing its age now (1973 :smirk: )

Still a reasonable watch 6/10

Great flick! :up:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-13-2010 06:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Classic.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-13-2010 07:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have no idea why, but that reminded me of Rustlers' Rhapsody. Anyone seen that? I haven't in a long tine, but I remember it being funny when I was younger...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-14-2010 01:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Big Lebowski once more

rofl..

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-19-2010 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Battelfield Earth (1/10)

Dunno wtf I was thinking.
Well, I kinda do: I just wanted to know how terrible this movie actually *is*.
And it *is* fucking terrible.
As a comedy, it's pure gold, but knowing it wasn't intended that way is pretty depressing.
John Travolta, and a a quality actor like Forest Whitaker (is he also into Scientology? Nooo!), hamming it up, and being all queer, plus a script that's clearly written by a 5yo imbecile (Scientology cunt Ron L. Hubbard).
Seriously, the script felt like something written for an 80's cartoon show, like He-Man or Transformers.
Jesus christ, just watch it, if only because it's good to know what you're talking about, before dissing it.

The Road (8/10)

Excellent drama.
Really a different, realistic, human and bleak take on a post-apocalyptic world.
Not a father myself, but Viggo Mortensen's acting made me feel the burden of responsibility for a child in such dire circumstances.
Friends thought it was boring...but I was hooked.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 03-19-2010 12:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Battelfield Earth (1/10)

Dunno wtf I was thinking.
Well, I kinda do: I just wanted to know how terrible this movie actually *is*.
And it *is* fucking terrible.
As a comedy, it's pure gold, but knowing it wasn't intended that way is pretty depressing.
John Travolta, and a a quality actor like Forest Whitaker (is he also into Scientology? Nooo!), hamming it up, and being all queer, plus a script that's clearly written by a 5yo imbecile (Scientology cunt Ron L. Hubbard).
Seriously, the script felt like something written for an 80's cartoon show, like He-Man or Transformers.
Jesus christ, just watch it, if only because it's good to know what you're talking about, before dissing it.

I agree completely, it was utter shit. It was less than shit, it was an insult to every good sci-fi movie ever made. I think Scientologists are complete fucktards, but Battlefield Earth was one of the best sci-fi novels I've ever read. What a letdown that movie was, and what complete proof that John Revolta is a wankstain of a director.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-20-2010 09:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shutter Island: Saw it coming but worth the watch. 7 or 8 I'd say. They give you clues constantly and from the first lines, so turn your brain off and it's a enjoyable film.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-20-2010 09:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
True Grit

8/10, classic. funny too

The Coen brothers are remaking this and it'll be out late this year. :up:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-20-2010 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
Battlefield Earth was one of the best sci-fi novels I've ever read. What a letdown that movie was.

word

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-21-2010 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's Complicated. 7/10

I'm not an Alec Baldwin fan but Steve Martin provides offset. He plays a serious role as an architect, but gets stoned with Streep and that is very funny - brings out the old Steve Martin.

Streep is an aging, not pretty, not sexy divorcee. You should be over 40 to enjoy this movie.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-21-2010 08:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you should also be looking away during the Steve Martin scenes to enjoy the movie.

cuz he horrible, old or new

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-21-2010 08:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^^^^^Lies

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-21-2010 10:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alice in Wonerland 3D - 4/10

Meh....

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-22-2010 03:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What happens in Vegas - 8/10

pretty good application of the love movie formula. i had fun watchin it.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-22-2010 06:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Defendor 7/10

surprisingly it was not a comedy, other than the apparent shortcomings of the main character.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 03-24-2010 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

after the iron cross I took a detour of the war movies to spec sam pecinpaws

Major dundee

eh i dont know if its just me or i had a bad cut but man , kinda wooden characters and stiff, cold pacing

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-26-2010 10:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Alice in Wonerland 3D - 4/10

Meh....

Did wonder (pun) about this one :smirk:

Thanks Don :up:

So, anyone else have an opinion before I decide not to go?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-27-2010 07:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sir 'Rock' Homeless wrote:
Sherlock Holmes (2009) DVDSCR XviD-MAXSPEED

BANNED

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.