Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-27-2010 07:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
So, anyone else have an opinion before I decide not to go?

*raises hand*

Alice in Wonderland 4/10

Maybe this movie is fun for people unfamiliar with the books, but i thought it was weak sauce. The plot is substandard, the 3d effects (first time i had to wear one of those goggle thingies) are entertaining for about 5 minutes and then become highly annoying... i dunno, i left the theatre very unsatisfied. They should have just made a movie of the original, it would have been much better. Depp didn't save this movie, which is a rare thing... The only redeeming thing was the grinning cat imo, i chuckled every time he made an appearance.

Strike two for Burton imo, Nine was also pretty shit.

Also:
Lebanon 6/10

Film about a tank crew in the Israeli invasion of Lebanon, on a mission to support some paratroopers to occupy a village. Some things are done well, some things aren't... Most of the movies consists of shots through the target finder of the tank, which occasionally zooms in on gruesome details and builds up tension nicely, and shots of the messed up cramped interior of the tank, which slowly drives the occupants slightly insane. You can almost smell the sweat and fear and diesel oil. All this is good.

Saw an interview with the director (himself a veteran of same war) and he said he wanted to show what impossible choices war puts on soldiers. The example he gave was "suppose you get information that 50% of the balconies have RPG teams and snipers, you end up blowing them all to bits. If you start checking them, you're dead before you reach the fifth one". Which i believe instantly, but for jesus sake, the tank crew when faced with a very similar dilemma refuses to fire a single shot in fear of killing civilians, the troops they are supposed to protect take casualties, hierarchy breaks down and shit is just very errr, humane. Which i don't think is the intention at all... it's like national pride on the directors part took the front seat to showing the immoral brutality of the conflict, which i took as a copout.

Beast of War, about a russian tank crew in afghanistan, pulled off the same idea much better.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-27-2010 03:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kingpin - Really can't get into watching this again. Either I've grown up, or it's one of those you have to see as a group, with popcorn 'n beer.

Law Abiding Citizen - Standard hollywood pap saved by Gerard Butler's really good performance, and some cool explosions and gadgetry. Nonsense, but enjoyable.

Judge Dredd - Lawl still a pretty good piece of arnie-like nostalgia.

30 Days Of night - Enjoyable horror stuff with vampires, minus the sparkly bullshit. The 'head' vampire dude was pure awesome.

Number 23 - meh

Boondock Saints 2 - FAIL ON EVERY LEVEL

Pirates of the Carribean: At Worlds End - Finally got around to seeing the last in the trilogy. Confusing plot but still pretty good. Really liked the bit where the ship went from the locker back to the ocean. Actors all seemed a bit tired.

Van Helsing - Junk

Predator - "Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here. This stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me."

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-28-2010 01:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Bridge on the River Kwai. 6/10 - This movie started off pretty good and I was enjoying it. But the last hour or so started getting dull and I found myself wanting the movie to end asap. Then the ending came and it was a really stupid ending IMO. It absolutely ruined the whole movie for me.

Dr. Strangelove. 9/10 - Very good movie. I first saw this movie in one of my High School classes around 8 years ago. It was much much better this time around for obvious reasons.

Once Upon a Time in America. 8/10 - This is a great movie even tho I wasn't a big fan of the ending. I'm a pretty big Sergio Leone fan.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 03-28-2010 05:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shutter island 80%

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-28-2010 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

band of brothers - 10/10 - looks (and sounds) fucking awesome on blu-ray. you can see every quiver of david schwimmer's lip

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-28-2010 11:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The film is without a doubt epic on massive scales. It is truely stunning and the 3D stuff was brilliant.

The story was also good, but not amazing.

As a visual spectical it really is out of this world; Truely astounding in every way you can imagine.

But...I really don't know what to score it...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-28-2010 05:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alice in Wonderland - I'm going to be pretty liberal and give it a 6/10.

It's one of those movies that could have been a lot better but just didn't fly. Johnny Depp didn't do a good job with the Mad Hatter, he was basically reprising his role as Willy Wonka, completely goofy but no real substance to the role. Alice's "real-life" woes were pretty trivial and her real life solutions to them were pretty lame. I thought she played the part pretty well. Red Queen was well played, White Queen appeared like a ditz. Visually, I liked the overall style of Wonderland and some good use of CG, especially Cheshire Cat.

I'm sure I would have liked it a lot more if I were a girl. There were a number of women who dressed up for the movie. A gothy red queen and someone dressed up like Disney's Alice. Skip the movie and play American McGee's Alice instead. Better plot.

Last edited by obsidian on 03-28-2010 05:18 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-28-2010 05:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you hit that?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-28-2010 05:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Red Queen Goth was scary. I probably should have gone down Alice's rabbit hole, though.

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 03-28-2010 06:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saw VI 8/10 for coolness

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-29-2010 10:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A Serious Man ?/10

I'm not sure how to score this one. I'm a Coen Bros fan, so I want to like this film, and in some aspects I do. But it just didn't do it for me like I thought it would. *SPOILER* So the guy tries to do the right thing throughout the entire movie, then he cuts a corner at the end and is handed a death sentence? It just seems...simple. :shrug:

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-29-2010 04:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
you should also be looking away during the Steve Martin scenes to enjoy the movie.

cuz he horrible, old or new

fuck u...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-29-2010 09:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Law Abiding Citizen - 7/10

Enjoyable easy watching film

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-30-2010 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Icarus - 3/10
It's like True Lies only terrible. True Lies was cheesy in parts but that was intentional since it's an action comedy. This movie is supposed to be flat-out serious but the cheesiness just kills it.

The only way the camera work could have been any worse was if the movie was ripped from the theater on a Handycam without a tripod. Plot was terrible and predictable with gaping holes every time they tried to do a plot twist. Acting was bad, the main guy has no personality what-so-ever, the only redeeming characters are the wife and girlfriend. It's just one step above a B-movie, but just barely.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-30-2010 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ninja assassin- lots of limbs and heads getting chopped off. some good martial arts

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-30-2010 10:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but it does make you wanna cry for teh fail

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-30-2010 06:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
ninja assassin- lots of limbs and heads getting chopped off. some good martial arts

lotta action, nice :up:

PostPosted: 03-30-2010 08:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol wut, terrible movie, didn't finish

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-30-2010 09:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

kuz ur a homo

PostPosted: 03-31-2010 01:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's why I fucked your bitch you fat motherfucker

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-31-2010 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no wonder my beagle is pregnant

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-31-2010 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Douchebags.

The Informant! Hilarious/10. Matt Damon does great as a rambling madman at the heart of multiple schemes.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 04-01-2010 01:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shutter Island 8/10

The dreams DiCaprio's having are pretty fucked up. Worth viewing.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 04-10-2010 03:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Clash of the Titans = Retarded / 10

It's like a watered down 2 hour long God of War rip off, and nowhere near as good. Sam Worthington is a twat. Liam Neeson was wasted.

CGI on the kraken, Medusa, pegasus and the scorpions was great :up:

PostPosted: 04-10-2010 03:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

clash of the titans.

0, zero, nothing. not even out of 10 because that would imply potential. No, this movie is so fucking bad. Here we have the same guy that played in the last terminator, is back again playing virtually the same exact role and it sucks.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-10-2010 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hope you guys didn't pay to see it, it only encourages them to make a part 2 or something

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-11-2010 05:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sons of Anarchy seasons 1,2

Wow, how have I missed this gem?

Highly recommended.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-11-2010 06:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

men who stare at goats: 5/10 very badly paced and just not very good all round... ewan mcgregors american accent is laughable...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-12-2010 02:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zombie Strippers = 3/10 - Utter tripe that tries way too hard to be funny. Still funny to an extent but so crap you'll have wished you didn't bother. Note to shitty movie productions everywhere: ADR is absolutely essential to making your low-grade shit seem not so low-grade shit.

Alice In Wonderland = 2/10 - I was bored with this film less than 30 minutes in and it never recovered my attention. I honestly enjoyed Zombie Strippers more than this garbage. Good thing I didn't pay for the ticket.

I've officially become sick of Tim Burton and I truly wish he would fuck off back into that goth-filled shithole he keeps bringing us to in every movie he makes (he's even used the same desaturated, twisted tree in 4 of his last 9 movies) and die. Seriously Mr.Purple-Glasses-Wearing-Overly-Marketed-Pretentious-Cunt...die. :arrow:

The next time someone gets excited about "A Tim Burton Film ©" I'm going to punch them in the throat. :up:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-17-2010 07:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how to train your dragon 7.5

btw RealD 3D is classes better than IMAX.... imax is blurry and choppy in comparison

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 04-17-2010 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kickass- 6.5 /10

got my hopes up after reading rave reviews. it's okay.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-18-2010 05:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hitman
.. what?

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 04-19-2010 12:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How bout date movie guys? Love 'ol steve, and was majorly pumped today going to see it, maybe that's why I wasn't too impressed. Though I recall thinking "short flick it was" so guess I can say I enjoyed it... but the, "ZIP YOUR VAGINA" line was A+

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-19-2010 01:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dune (the original) = 5/10 - Whoever insists this movie is better than the 2000 television series remake is clinging too hard to nostalgia.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-19-2010 01:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the original original or the original cut up version that Lynch disowned?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.