Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 05-03-2010 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Similar to the one at the end of The Incredible Hulk?

This one sets us up for another hero film....

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-03-2010 03:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So does the Incredible Hulk ending. So I guess the answer is yes. :smirk:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-03-2010 03:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ironman 2 = 6/10 - Tedious and nowhere near as interesting or entertaining as the first. Scarlett Johansson was fucking hot.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-03-2010 04:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fantastic Mr. Fox = 9/10

Quirky and mad. Retro stop motion was fun. Solid voice acting. Brilliant all around :up:

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Ironman 2 = 6/10 - Tedious and nowhere near as interesting or entertaining as the first. Scarlett Johansson was fucking hot.

Totally agreed. Also, I don't know why they keep doing the "fall from grace" bit in super hero movies. It was lame in Spiderman 3 and still lame in Ironman 2.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-03-2010 06:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Red Light Go - 7/10

Documentary on bike messenger culture and alley cat races in New York. I knocked a bunch of points for the chaotic nature in which the film was presented, but added a bunch of points back for the awesomeness of the subject and participants.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-04-2010 02:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Iron Man 2 - 8/10

Really loved it, though not as good as the first in story...but the first didn't have Scarlette in a Unitard!

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-04-2010 02:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Frost/Nixon - 8/10

Awesome film

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-04-2010 03:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alien Directors Cut (720).

OMFG beautiful.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-04-2010 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Edge of Darkness

Mel Gibson....STOP USE

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 05-06-2010 08:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Avatar: 4/10. Great visuals but no real characters or story. 10 yrs in the making...and apparently the script was finished on day 5. I blame George Lucas for popularizing this approach to filmmaking...often referred to as 'visual storytelling' (i.e., no storytelling)...which Cameron has omgz perfected with Avatar. You fat fuck. I also blame Mark Rein of Epic.

Last edited by Hannibal on 05-08-2010 05:55 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 05-07-2010 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Breakfast Club

Never saw this one before. I thought it was going to be a comedy. Didn't realize it'd be half-serious. Anyway, it was decent, not amazing.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 05-07-2010 09:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chupacabra wrote:
The Breakfast Club

Never saw this one before. I thought it was going to be a comedy. Didn't realize it'd be half-serious. Anyway, it was decent, not amazing.

Guess you'd have to be there. It's a classic.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 05-08-2010 06:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sherlock holmes blu ray

yea it was pretty ok

i did really like the directing

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 05-08-2010 06:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Avatar - halfway thru so no score. looks gorgeous, but it's disappointing that so much creative effort (not to mention $$$) were spent on such a banal story and wooden characters

then again, it got plenty of arses on seats, and that's really the whole point of moviemaking amirite? :disgust:

Should have watched it in the movie theatre in 3d with imax.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 05-08-2010 10:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
Chupacabra wrote:
The Breakfast Club

Guess you'd have to be there. It's a classic.

its good! just a little overrated...

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 05-09-2010 07:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Iron Man 2 - 7/10 - it was fine, but certainly a sequel. was surprised at how much of it was setting up the Avengers movie... which will probably be wank.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-09-2010 11:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Losers - Fantastic/10, really funny and great action.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 05-12-2010 08:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Edge of Darkness: 4/10 Some of the best, surprise kills in the last 10 years. Gibson and Winstone are very good. However, a host of irrelevant characters and herky-jerky plot mix the whole thing up into a bit of a shit sandwich. Sucks, because with a better script this could've been a good one.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-12-2010 09:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sherlock Holmes - 7.5/10

Great acting from everyone, but Downey Jr. stole the show.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 05-13-2010 03:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

terrence hill

boots hill

i really really dig the genre ey

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-14-2010 02:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched Kick Ass last night. I had anti-hyped myself up for this movie, expecting it to be gash. In fact it was fucking awesome and I wish i'd seen it in the cinema.

I also saw Four Lions last week and didn't like it at all. Their idea was an absolute gem and I think we need more films lightly poking fun at extremists, but all this was was a couple of rather crap slapstick jokes repeated over and over again and the way they were juxtaposed against rather solemn and black moments just didn't work for me. I'd rather they had made the humour satirical rather than farcical, especially because the satirical humour they did have in there was really well placed and funny. A shame really, because it was well acted and a good idea.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-14-2010 08:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched Clerks 2 again last night... Still funny as fuck, Kevin Smith is a GOD.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 05-14-2010 11:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

survival of the dead, 4/10
if this'd been a standalone tv thing, it would've been pretty good. as it is, it's the 3rd movie in a row from romero that doesn't deserve the 'of the dead' moniker :(

kick-ass, 7/10
phantasmagoria wrote:
Watched Kick Ass last night. I had anti-hyped myself up for this movie, expecting it to be gash. In fact it was fucking awesome and I wish i'd seen it in the cinema
saw it at the cinema and had the same reservations/surprise. every bit as good as 'layer cake'.

defendor, 5/10
another alt-superhero, this time with woody harrelson as a justice-obsessed simpleton. bit too much like a chick-flick and i couldn't bring myself to believe that the sane, laid back america they were portraying was a real place (turns out it's a canadian movie, they should've made that clear from the outset).

avatar, james cameron is a cunt/10
absolutely fucking diabolical shite. you could add another 50 dimensions to this movie and it'd still be bloody awful.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 05-16-2010 08:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Twilight New Moon. I am now going to staple my testicles to my forehead for equal enjoyment.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-16-2010 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Iron Man 2 - 6/10

what a fucking yank fest of gayness :disgust:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-16-2010 11:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How did a fag0t like you not enjoy half naked men that turn into wolves?

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 05-17-2010 02:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Sherlock Holmes - 7.5/10

Quote:

Inspector Lestrade: In another life, Mr. Holmes, you would have made a excellent criminal.
Sherlock Holmes: Yes, and you an excellent policeman.

:olo: :up:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-21-2010 07:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Black Dynamite 7/10

Super black afro toting ex CIA former pimp vietnam vet kung fu expert takes revenge for killing of little brother by lowlife gangsters.

Some extremely absurd jokes in this parody of probably every blackspoitation flick from the late 70's.... reminded me of Italian Spiderman a bit here and there :)

Valhalla Rising 8/10

Group of recently christianized vikings set off for a crusade in the holy land but take a wrong turn near iceland or something, and end up someplace entirely unfamiliar.

One of those relatively slow moving movies with lots of beautiful shots of gloomy hills and close ups of strong faces that appear to have been cut out of granite... all very vikingy. You know how cult movies sometimes try to tell a story without dialogue, just by showing a scene and focusing on body language and facial expressions and general atmosphere? They actually manage to make that trick work in this, which is rare.

To illustrate, i think the first bit of dialogue is something like 15 minutes into the movie. It never gets boring or too artsy or anything though, it's just all slightly unsettling and creepy. The people who made this one were a talented bunch. Don't think they had any kind of real budget either, so well played :up:

Last edited by Ryoki on 05-21-2010 08:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-21-2010 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Sherlock Holmes - 7.5/10

Downey stole the show? He's the main character. :dork:

6/10 for me.

Movie did an effort to show some of the grittier side of Sherlock Holmes which was part of the books but not often portrayed in film: drug addict, boxer, slob. But in doing so with all the action, it takes away from the soul of the character, which is his amazing brain and skills of observation. It's a very watchable movie, but Sherlock Holmes, it was not. You could call it, Tony Stark in Victorian England.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 05-21-2010 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:
Sherlock Holmes - 7.5/10

:olo:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-21-2010 08:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:
Sherlock Holmes - 7.5/10

Relax, I'm praising your soul brother for a good performance, regardless of his role in the film.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-21-2010 09:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A main character can't steal the show, he IS the show. If you said something like Jude Law stole the show (meaning he played his role as a supporting actor in such a way that outclasses Downey's lead role) that would at least make sense. It's like watching Usain Bolt in a race today and saying he "stole the gold".

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-21-2010 07:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
Watched Kick Ass last night. I had anti-hyped myself up for this movie, expecting it to be gash. In fact it was fucking awesome and I wish i'd seen it in the cinema.

8/10 :olo: Surprisingly good movie. Note to everyone here, don't bring your kids. The movie has kids in it, but I don't think it's very appropriate for kids. It has 11 year old girls dismembering bad guys with splurts of blood and possibly underage teen sex. I was totally expecting something along the level of "Spy Kids" which this is not.

As a side note, I noticed that this movie was filmed here in Toronto. One scene was filmed literally right in front of my brother's apartment building and I recognized a bunch of other places downtown.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-21-2010 08:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
possibly underage teen sex.

lol seremtan

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-22-2010 02:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sherlock Holmes

oh.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.