Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

slightly off topic, but watched deadwood season 1 yesterday. really worth checking out. a number at a guess, for those that way inclined... 8.75/10

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 05:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
slightly off topic, but watched deadwood season 1 yesterday. really worth checking out. a number at a guess, for those that way inclined... 8.75/10

I wanted to like Deadwood. I caught two episodes and gave up. I don't mind people saying fuck but it was like they discovered they could say it on a show so they couldn't stop using it, i.e., "So fuck. Fuck you man and the fucking fuck fucked up fucker horse that you fucking rode in on. Fuck."

After awhile I didn't know what the fuck they were talking about. Fuck.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 05:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wabbit wrote:
fKd wrote:

I wanted to like Deadwood. I caught two episodes and gave up. I don't mind people saying fuck but it was like they discovered they could say it on a show so they couldn't stop using it, i.e., "So fuck. Fuck you man and the fucking fuck fucked up fucker horse that you fucking rode in on. Fuck."

Not to mention how many times whats-his-name would say "cocksuckers".

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 06:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dexter's sister was like that for the first couple seasons, too.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 07:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Every season more like it.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-17-2011 11:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bwahahaha post of the year!

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
Plan B wrote:
I thought Grizzly Man, Rescue Dawn and Bad Lieutenant were pretty good.

didn't like Rescue Dawn that much... probably because of Steve Zahn. Otherwise you have to go back to the 70's and 80's for me - Fitzcarraldo, Woyzeck, Aguirre.

What elements do you find missing/lacking in Herzog's current work, though?
I've also watched the older films you mention, I eat that shit up, but I don't detect some kind of "break" in direction like you apparently do.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wabbit wrote:
fKd wrote:

Deadwood was fucking brilliant once you got past the language barrier.

One of the best things to ever be on television.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
Deadwood was fucking brilliant once you got past the language barrier.

One of the best things to ever be on television.

I'll take a second look then.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-18-2011 12:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
Every season more like it.

I was thinking exactly this when I read Wabbit's complaint. fuck.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 04-20-2011 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.trust.org/alertnet/news/rest ... d-in-libya

Director of "Restreppo" killed in libya. :(
Just watched that and "Armadillo" a few weeks back. (8/10 Armadillo is the superior film)

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-23-2011 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hall Pass = 5/10 - Meh. Some funny moments but otherwise skipable.

I Am Number Four = 5/10 - Not all that interesting, but at least original in some ways.

Just Go With It = 6/10 - Adam Sandler tripe. Nowhere near as funny as his Zohan movie.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-24-2011 03:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
i found it odd that she was only the 3rd or 4th character to drop the c-word.

Aye, its used quite a lot on Dexter.

I'm up to the season 5 episode were Deb says "Shit a brick and fuck me with it". I have to admit, she has a way with words...

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-24-2011 03:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bitter Feast 6/10
TV chef gets his show canceled by yet another devastating critique from some foodie blogger, decides to kidnap and teach him the value of gastronomy in a series of saw like torture scenes involving cruel cooking contests. Meant as black humor i think, but halfway the plot turns kind of serious which doesn't work at all. Some entertaining scenes, but mostly meh.

The Last Legion 2/10
Utter tripe, don't know wtf i was thinking.

Machete Maidens unleashed - 9/10
Doc about the film industry in the philipines during the 60's and 70's, which is where most of the jungle horror hack and slash flicks mass produced for US drive in theaters came from. Very cool stuff, some really insane stories about what life was like back then - also Pam Grier was a star in a lot of these movies, whoa :up:

Samurai Rebellion 7/10
Ancient b/w Japanese flick where it's all about careful dialogue and ceremony & honor and weird camera angles rather than swordplay. Though there is a bit of that as well. Strangely captivating.

Public Enemies 4/10
A high production value beast of predictable boringness. Just past the halfway mark, having encountered no redeeming scenes whatsoever, i decided to stop annoying myself and turned it off.

Source Code 5/10
Another matrix style alternate reality flick, where mostly dead soldiers are apparently locked in tanks and hooked up to a virtual world and used to solve crimes. Not terrible but certainly not good. Gets an extra point for the inexplicable actions of the highly annoying project leader who is entirely willing to kill his test subject one minute and drones on about how irreplaceable he is the next. I figure it was an attempt at humor.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-24-2011 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Men Who Stare at Goats = 3/10 - Worthless. Whoever thinks this movie is good is a fucking fagg0t.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-24-2011 12:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who do you watch all these movies with?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-24-2011 05:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Except GFY's teddy bear has a tiny hole between the legs.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-24-2011 06:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
The Men Who Stare at Goats = 3/10 - Worthless. Whoever thinks this movie is good is a fucking fagg0t.

totally agree, was rubbish

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 04-24-2011 06:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hobo with a Shotgun: would have been okay if it were 4 minutes long

don't bother

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-24-2011 11:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dogma - 8/10 still fantastic

"There is nothing worse than watching a fucking fat man weep"

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 12:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Who do you watch all these movies with?

ur mom

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 12:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:

don't bother

:olo:

Yeah...the movie was tedious while the trailer was perfect.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 12:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Except GFY's teddy bear has a tiny hole between the legs.

And the mouth. Don't forget that sweet mouth.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 04:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the girl who kicked the hornets nest - 6/10 - probably a good thing stieg larsson never got to write all 10 of his intended millennium novels. the format was laid down in the girl with the dragon tattoo: lisbeth salander is framed for a crime she didn't commit, and whatsiface spends the movie trying to save her, and occasionally being saved by her, while savagely indicting swedish society into the bargain

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 04:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:

don't bother

Aww, have that lined up to watch.

Oh well, added to heavily-intoxicated-movie-watching-night :up:

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 05:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thor - 8/10

Watch it in 2D if you can.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 06:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thor, 8/10?

Must be on the same level as "The Godfather" or "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", then!
Good to see Hollywood is still cranking out those intelligent, thought provoking movies :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 06:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree 8/10 seems a bit high (even though I haven't seen it). But you really can't compare an action film to a drama film. Each genre has it's own scale. It's possible for an action film to be a 9 or 10, but in my opinion it wouldn't be the same as a drama that is ranked the same...

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 06:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey guys, pay attention:
Xeros tells us we should make a distinction between genres, where each genre has its own scale.

So in future, first specify genre, and then rate it according to the specified genre scale.

This thread suddenly got a whole lot less complicated :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 06:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's not really what I was getting at, but glad I could help. :up:

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 06:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Each genre has it's own scale. It's possible for an action film to be a 9 or 10, but in my opinion it wouldn't be the same as a drama that is ranked the same...

What were you getting at then?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 07:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Thor, 8/10?

Must be on the same level as "The Godfather" or "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", then!
Good to see Hollywood is still cranking out those intelligent, thought provoking movies :up:

Don't forget Megamind :D :up: :D :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 09:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
xer0s wrote:
Each genre has it's own scale. It's possible for an action film to be a 9 or 10, but in my opinion it wouldn't be the same as a drama that is ranked the same...

What were you getting at then?

That he ranked Thor an 8, which means it's a great action flick. But you're comparing it to Cookoo's Nest and Godfather, which also might receive that rank. I just don't think that's fair because there're two different genres. I never implied that we need to specify the genre with the rank. Jesus...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 09:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes my son?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-25-2011 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jesus wasn't a knob

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.