Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-23-2009 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In Bruges - 5/10 - not exactly a laugh a minute, rather like belgium generally

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-23-2009 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In Bruges - 5/10 - not exactly a laugh a minute, rather like belgium generally

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-23-2009 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Hangover - 6.5/10

Crude but funny. Soundtrack during the entire movie was awful though.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-25-2009 04:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Timecrimes (or 'Los cronocrímenes'; it's a Spanish flick, but don't let that deter you).

Solid time travel movie (only 1 hour into the past).
They pretty much get it right, with a good, methodic approach. At least, I couldn't shoot holes into its logic.

Better than Primer, imo.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-26-2009 05:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watchmen -

5/10. Never read the comic so I guess I don't see the greatness in it.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 07-27-2009 04:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Madagascar - 2/10
Madagascar 2 - also 2/10

Quite shit really. Aside from Chris Rock, I hate the jackasses that did the voices for the other 3 main characters, especially Ben Stiller. Predictable dumbassery through and through, with Madagascar 2 being a Lion King clone to boot. Don't get me wrong, I still love watching good animated stuff, but this stuff was just so lame and insipid.

Still, they both get 1 point each for the following:
Sacha Baron Cohen as King Julian
The Penguins

And they're both worth watching only for those 2 things. Julian had me in fucking stitches when he was going on about the sacrifice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K9fC29Dhno

mmm very nice thank you for the sacrifice
here have another sacrifice
no I've had enough for today

Fucking lmao :olo:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-31-2009 02:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I'm no Harry Potter buff in the least and I normally wouldnt go to the cinema to see part 6 (or whatever) in a series, but the inlaws wanted to see it so.
Why the fuck was this called 'the Half-Blood Prince'? The name is introduced in the first 20 mins or so, all ominous like. 1.5 hours later someone mentions the name again and how noone ever heard of him. And another hour later someone reveals that *he* is the HalfBlood Prince, like Darth Vader just reveals his relation to Luke. plottwist failed.
They shouldve called it Harry Potter and the Quest for Forbidden Artifacts since that is what it's really about. But no they couldnt cos at the end of the movie it is shown that the artifacts were fake, making the entire past 3 hours worth of movietime meaningless.

2 out of 10 "wake up!"-nudges.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-31-2009 02:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BAM

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-31-2009 02:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-31-2009 06:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last Action Hero - 7.5 / 10

Classic cheesy over-the-top action. I hadn't seen this movie since the mid 90s and forgot how funny it was.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-31-2009 08:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
http://www.collider.com/2009/05/29/exclusive-tony-scott-confirms-carl-rinsch-is-directing-alien-and-its-a-prequel/

wow, hope they don't fuck this up.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 07-31-2009 08:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:
Last Action Hero - 7.5 / 10

Classic cheesy over-the-top action. I hadn't seen this movie since the mid 90s and forgot how funny it was.

:up: charles dance owned that movie.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-31-2009 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

I'm no Harry Potter buff in the least and I normally wouldnt go to the cinema to see part 6 (or whatever) in a series, but the inlaws wanted to see it so.
Why the fuck was this called 'the Half-Blood Prince'? The name is introduced in the first 20 mins or so, all ominous like. 1.5 hours later someone mentions the name again and how noone ever heard of him. And another hour later someone reveals that *he* is the HalfBlood Prince, like Darth Vader just reveals his relation to Luke. plottwist failed.
They shouldve called it Harry Potter and the Quest for Forbidden Artifacts since that is what it's really about. But no they couldnt cos at the end of the movie it is shown that the artifacts were fake, making the entire past 3 hours worth of movietime meaningless.

Went to that with the wife - she has read all the books (like most people in the world but me, apparently). I left about 1 hour into it and wandered around in the mall until it was over. The mindless wandering was more entertaining to me.

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 07-31-2009 10:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-31-2009 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 07-31-2009 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Went to that with the wife - she has read all the books (like most people in the world but me, apparently). I left about 1 hour into it and wandered around in the mall until it was over. The mindless wandering was more entertaining to me.

you should put that in a review on imdb. :smirk: :up:

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 07-31-2009 08:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

watchmen - 5/10 - real problem was the pace. 45 minutes of exposition? really? it's a basically good story and the acting and effects were decent. i wouldn't really recommend it unless you're into that sort of noir, post-hero vibe (a la Dark Knight Returns).

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 07-31-2009 09:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
MKJ wrote:

I feel the same way. Never read the books, then went to see the movie and didn't really give a shit.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 08-01-2009 05:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's part 6 of 7. did you honestly expect to like it?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 08-01-2009 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
watchmen - 5/10 - real problem was the pace. 45 minutes of exposition? really? it's a basically good story and the acting and effects were decent. i wouldn't really recommend it unless you're into that sort of noir, post-hero vibe (a la Dark Knight Returns).

Good, you are the second person I know who didn't think this thing was amazing. I also thought that the writers felt they had exposed some deep, profound human truth at the end - when it was really a shallow and not too unique lesson on the fact that a common enemy will routinely bring rivals together.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-01-2009 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gran Torino - 10/10 (made me lol. shit was SO pabst)

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 08-01-2009 07:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Good, you are the second person I know who didn't think this thing was amazing. I also thought that the writers felt they had exposed some deep, profound human truth at the end - when it was really a shallow and not too unique lesson on the fact that a common enemy will routinely bring rivals together.

The movie was not perfect. I had zero background in the Watchmen before I saw the movie. After I watched it once, it was good but fell a little flat. Too much unknown shit to keep track of and some of the narrative jumps felt a little strained. My opinion of the film changed quite dramatically after I viewed it a 2nd (and 3rd) time. I *highly* recommend a 2nd viewing...this is one of those flicks that almost requires it (esp. if this universe of characters is new to you).

I actually went out and bought the graphic novel a few days after seeing it and it is a fantastic read. I think the reason I like the film so much, and thus can forgive many of its imperfections, is because it is one the few 'superhero' movies that present sophisticated characters within the context of a fairly literate, adult story. Of course that's Alan Moore's contribution and not the director's, but Snyder did a decent enough job of translating it to film. Give it another go if you can...your opinion might not change, but I'm betting it will.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 08-01-2009 09:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Funny People - 7/10

Good movie, with a lot of funny and emotional scenes. However, it does lose points for kind of losing focus half way into the movie.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 08-01-2009 09:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bruno :: 6/10
Everything that could be expected. Ali-G characters are starting to wear a bit thin on me though. Time for Sascha Baron Cohen to move on.

Funny People :: 8/10
Not what I expected from an Apatow flick; actually a pretty good movie. Gave me "Punchline" Flashbacks in a good way.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-01-2009 11:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
Superman Returns 7/10
Very good film, for a comic book. Yes, a bit too much romantic BS, but awesome special effects and a decent storyline.

Superman Returns

Beenn around some years :smirk:

......but I finally got to see this last night and have to agree a pretty good flick :up:

Impressed 8/10

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 08-02-2009 07:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

THX 1138

What a snooze. I don't give a shit if it's visionary for its time. George Lucas can suck my fat one.

In the loop

Pretty good political satire.
Some may remember creator Armando Iannucci from Friday Night Armistice.

The killing room

Imagine Saw, only a lot more boring, and Jigsaw is some shady us government counter terrorist thing.
Timothy Hutton and Peter Stormare have pretty strong screen presence, but couldn't save this yawn fest.
I literally fell asleep in the middle. Doesn't happen much.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-02-2009 11:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sling Blade - 8/10

Took me about 20 minutes to get used to the speach but this was a damn good movie. I've always heard people make references to it but never gave the movie a chance until last night.

Minus a point for the last 5 minutes of the movie. I wanted to see some reaction shots from the town.

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 08-02-2009 11:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - 5/10
I kept hearing that this was finally a decent harry potter movie. watching it once was tolerable but i don't see myself willingly viewing it again. there's simply far too much detail in the book that could never make it into a movie unless they made it 8 hours long; it's those details which make the books so good.

Bruno - 5/10
I laughed. I giggled. I doubt i'll ever see it again. the shock humor wears off pretty fast in this one.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 08-02-2009 03:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Hangover: 8/10

Best bachelor party movie ever.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 08-02-2009 03:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grandpa Stu wrote:

Bruno - 5/10
I laughed. I giggled. I doubt i'll ever see it again. the shock humor wears off pretty fast in this one.

How many more of these characters do you think SBC has left in him?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-02-2009 03:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Hurt Locker = 6/10 - I kept watching because I enjoy war movies with some intensity - which this movie has in abundance - but when this was over I felt it was a pointless film. Good performances but the cinematography and editing felt exactly like any Ridley/Tony Scott film and seemed forced...like they were trying to make a Ridley/Tony Scott clone. TBH I can't say if I recommend it unless you're a pro-America fascist who loves watching brown people die.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 08-02-2009 05:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
How many more of these characters do you think SBC has left in him?

I don't think he's got any left. Ali G, Borat and Bruno all had extensive histories in his old school TV shows. Unless he's got hidden personalities up his sleeve that he hasn't exposed on his TV shows, he may have exhausted this shtick.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-02-2009 05:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

While that may be true he made $100 million exhausting it.

He can now retire to the beach and chase old, hairy fat guys around hotel hallways until the day he dies without ever having to work again.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 08-02-2009 06:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No doubt, but I'm curious what he'll do next.

Bunch of LOLPSYCH101BS coming up.

I don't think we'll see SBC himself appear as an actor in mainstream movies. I think he uses the personalities he plays not only as the vector for his sometimes controversial social commentary, but also as a shell to protect himself from attention and scrutiny. All the Bruno related interviews of his I've seen have been in character. Most of the Borat ones were as well. I've only ever seen him out of character in one Borat-era Letterman interview. Maybe (probably?) I was reading him wrong, but he came across sort of like "I still can't believe I've become this big". Possibly, he's just *that* committed to his roles and I'm completely wrong?

It's been a while since I saw that interview, I'll see if I can't find a youtube link.
edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrBfaUDUlt4 [here's the one I was thinking of]
edit2: Seems to predate the Borat movie.

My guess is, he's gonna lay low for a bit. Do some more voice acting. Couple years down the line, surprise us all with another persona out of the blue.

Last edited by U4EA on 08-03-2009 02:48 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-03-2009 01:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Night at the Museum

Never got to see it but made up for it last night.

Never fancied Ben Still but this might just change my mind.

Not bad entertainment, a nice all rounder.

7.5/10

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.