Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-05-2023 11:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kandahar (2023)

Enjoyable for me :up:
Gerard Butler & Travis Fimmel excellent in their roles. The scenery, yes desert and the photography :up: :up:

Edit: Really, really good and I don't :tear: in many movie endings.

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-17-2023 10:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2001 - A Space Odyssey (1968)

This time in 2160p Blu Ray.

I have watched it a few times, and viewed many snippets over the 55 years, still, it is beautiful and a classic.

If you haven't, you must :!:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-12-2023 02:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

The return is awesome. The plot fits to the other parts. It shows the truth about what happens when you take the blue pill (what we really didn't know from The Matrix 1) and not only that, there are more entertaining stuff!

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 09-12-2023 04:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-14-2023 11:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Movie Mad Max (1979)

If you haven't you need do :up:

IMDB

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-15-2023 06:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LegendGuard wrote:
The Matrix Resurrections (2021)
Captain wrote:

It's not that bad. I think it's better than part 3, if not part 2. I like the way it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's a fun ride, compared to the old movies that tried to come up with that perfect world- building. Part 1 succeded, no questions asked. But 2+3?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-16-2023 11:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PostPosted: 09-24-2020 04:32 PM
Whiskey 7 wrote:
Oblivion (2013)

Haven't seen it for years and thoroughly enjoyed. Morgan Freeman :up:
See it again!

I found the text of that book, Lays of Ancient Rome by Thomas Macaulay here

IMDB

Edit: The piece where he meets his clone :up:
Edit: Then the Whiter Shade of Pale tune by Procol Harum :up:

Still enjoyable :D

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-17-2023 02:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elemental
What a trainwreck of a movie. Easily one of Pixar's weakest entries.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-17-2023 11:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched Pixar's Soul with my kids. Thought it was a bit weird, but entertaining nonetheless.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-29-2023 01:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I watched The Matrix 4 as well now.

Eh, there's lots to say about it but I'll keep it short.
I don't think that in itself it's a terrible movie. When judged by itself it's an entertaining mindless romp which I guess doesn't stack up too badly against the endless torrent of superhero movies we've gotten the last decade.

But, does it live up to the legacy of The Matrix? Not really. The first half of the movie is a weird retread of the steps taken in the first Matrix movie and the second half is just bits and bobs taken from the whole trilogy.
In the fourth movie, the whole world believes that the events of the original trilogy is just the narrative of a highly succesful video game. These people gush over this The Matrix videogame similar to how we, 40-something olds gush over 1999 movie.

The Matrix 4 could be this interesting multi-layered thing where the world in this movie deals with the legacy of The Matrix in much the same way we, the viewers of the movie, handle the legacy of the movie trilogy. It ends up becoming a mockery though. It's like the writer or director of the movie is standing behind you and constantly prodding your ribs going "these characters hear this for the first time but you and I know why this reference to the original trilogy is cool, eh? eh?"
It's why having an agent say "your men are already dead" in the opening of the film is a clear indicator of how The Matrix 4 isn't capable of standing on its own two feet without holding firmly onto the shoulders of the first three movies.

I was hoping for this movie, with over 20 years of inspiration to draw from, would come up with something original and hopefully as revolutionary and memorable as the original. It's style, mystery, characters, action and of course bullet-time are things still talked about today. This fourth installment, however, doesn't have any (or much) of that. Style? Sure, but nothing as cool as the original. Maybe it's because I'm 20+ years older, but I thought Neo, Trinity, Morpheus and Agent Smith were like the coolest characters ever. The characters now are like, meh. The new Morpheus is an annoying clown and Smith is just a sack of potatoes. Trinity is fuck'n Tiffany for 90% of the film drinking latte's and wondering how late her kids' soccer training starts and Neo constantly questions himself and at the high point of his power makes bullets stop in the air. Haven't seen that before. The rest of the crew is like... uh... who were they again? No Tank or Cypher, that's for sure.

The action is kind of tame too. There weren't any fight scenes where the stakes felt high, the choreography was cool or that involved memorable camera techniques.

All in all I think the movie is kind of forgettable. I do feel people are too negative about it because it's both cool to shit on anything Matrix that isn't the original 1999 movie but also because expectations for a new installment in the Matrix franchise are logically quite high. I think the biggest positive surprise about this movie was Neil Patrick Harris. I didn't know he was in it but when I saw his face and he was in a non-comical role I was groaning a bit because I expected the worst but he pretty much nailed it, IMO. I liked his character the most out of everyone and I think he deserves some praise for that. At the same time, that also tells you something about the rest of the movie.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-01-2023 11:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NPH is a great actor for sure.
Also I still haven't seen 4. I should at some point probs but, yknow, meh.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-07-2023 08:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Equalizer 3

Enjoyed & predictable.
8/10 :up:
IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-20-2023 01:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unknown (2011)

An excellent movie starring Liam Neeson, Diane Kruger & January Jones.

Quote:
When a man awakens from a coma only to discover that someone has taken on his identity, he teams up with a young woman to prove who he is.

Mr Inbetween - IMDB

Yes, an excellent movie!
8+/10

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-07-2024 05:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Knives Out
I heartily lolled at that last shot :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-08-2024 07:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Croods 2

Enjoyable flick to watch with the kids.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-22-2024 10:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Beekeeper (2024)

I did enjoy but then I do like the Jason Statham movies.

8.5/10

The Beekeeper - IMDB

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 03-23-2024 03:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Beekeeper was quite entertaining. It actually exceeded expectations which were somewhat low.

Road House (2024)

This movie was ok until Connor McGregor stepped in. Holy shit, is Steven Seagal his acting coach? This has to be one of the worst performances on film in modern times. It's so awful, its distracting.

I'm almost recommending a watch so I can make a support group out of this forum. :olo:

This review, pretty much sums up the state of Twitter/X. The shilling for McGregor's acting is an unforgivable crime.
2/10
Road House IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-23-2024 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oppenheimer (2023)

Caught this last night.
Enjoyable.
No wonder it scored so many industry awards.
8.5/10
IMDB

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-24-2024 01:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:
The Beekeeper was quite entertaining. It actually exceeded expectations which were somewhat low.

Beekeeper? You mean Jason Wick, surely?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-25-2024 12:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

does he actually command the bees with his mind?

that would be rad

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 03-25-2024 02:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dune 2

Villeneuve has another masterpiece.

9.5/10

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-30-2024 12:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched the first Dune movie today (the first Villeneuve one).
Pretty darn cool. Visual spectacle. Will watch part 2 soon.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-03-2024 03:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Oppenheimer (2023)

Caught this last night.
Enjoyable.
No wonder it scored so many industry awards.
8.5/10
IMDB

This is actually the last movie I watched recently and although I liked it I found it to be kinda all over the place. I wasn't too crazy about how it was directed.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 04-21-2024 05:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
raw wrote:

Beekeeper? You mean Jason Wick, surely?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.