Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 08:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wait. A movie set in the same universe as the Alien movies, with the same hybrid-based aliens, with the same rough backstory of Weyland/Yutani corp and the fact that they even name planets with the same nomenclature...is NOT connected to the Alien story?

Are you people fucking retarded?

No...seriously...are you people fucking retarded?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ridley Scott himself said it's a whole new story not connected to the Alien series. That is all.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 09:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Wait. A movie set in the same universe as the Alien movies, with the same hybrid-based aliens, with the same rough backstory of Weyland/Yutani corp and the fact that they even name planets with the same nomenclature...is NOT connected to the Alien story?

Are you people fucking retarded?

No...seriously...are you people fucking retarded?

This

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Ridley Scott himself said it's a whole new story not connected to the Alien series. That is all.

Memphis wrote:
So far, it's in no meaningful way related to the characters, events or plot from Alien. So no and no.

Oh wow. Retards do exist.

I don't give a flying fuck what Ridley Scott says, it's more than obvious this is directly connected to the Alien franchise. He can try to run away from it all he wants, but nobody that isn't a complete moron believes him.

Mitt Romney says he cares about poor people...do you idiots believe that as well?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From what I gather (having not seen the film) it's based in a universe simmilar to the universe that the Alien story is told in. Ridley Scott has no intention of linking the stories together, so it's not going to be "connected" it is merely associated, not a prequel.

What. you're going to call Alien Vs Predator a prequel next?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 09:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
From what I gather (having not seen the film) it's based in a universe simmilar to the universe that the Alien story is told in. Ridley Scott has no intention of linking the stories together, so it's not going to be "connected" it is merely associated, not a prequel.

What. you're going to call Alien Vs Predator a prequel next?

Holy shit...you haven't even seen it and you're arguing against the fact that it's clearly connected to the Aliens universe....in the exact same manner that the Aliens Vs Predator franchise is connected to the Aliens universe?

Do you also believe George Lucas when he says the prequels were written at the same time Episode 4 was written back in 1977?

I have a bridge I wish to sell you.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 09:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why they fuck would he call it Episode 4 when he hadn't written any previous episodes?
He may not have penned the scripts, but he had the story down, so he could have people* mention what happened before in Episode IV.

(Don't know the bridge reference.)

*[Edit: (meaning, characters in the film)]

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IT WASN'T CALLED EPISODE 4 IN 1977 YOU MASSIVE RETARD

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 09:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, you spoke too soon...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes it was, I watched it many times over in the 1980s on VHS and it always said Episode IV, Episode V and Episode VI at the start of each of the respective original 3 films. (That text that scrolls up the screen giving you a back story.) It was written on the boxes, too.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 09:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A prequel focuses on events that occur before the original narrative. Prometheus doesn't exactly do that. However, I see the argument...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

lol yes it does you forgetful old man

Wait...no it wasn't. Yes it was. No it wasn't.

Yes...it was called that 4 years later...because George Lucas had it all planned that way. They wouldnt' let him have a subtitle, so he added it later because he said he wrote the whole story way back when.

And of course I believe every word he says.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
seremtan wrote:

it was called that 4 years later...

4 years later than 1977?

get your story straight, you lipidinous lake of limp-dicked lard

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 11:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

/spoilerinhio

Prometheus was fucking amazing, with the big white dudes ripping heads off and smacking OAPs to their knees, should be family viewing, it did however have many problems like -

Cast fucking sucked balls, for me was the poorest part, the Alien cast may not be memorable but everyones lines and role seemed solid and secure. In this it jumped from the armoury officer freaking out after opening the cargo bay doors to a corpse, after already burning another guy to smouldering cinders (in an alien atmosphere), to another un memorable guy playing with an alien worm the size of my dick like it's something he's tripped over on a daily basis. The best thing that happened to the boyfriend was getting turned into bacon n all, which leads me to that dopey cow who was more twisted than a curly wurly, when they said they wanted someone for the weaver role didn't they explain that they didn't need, or notice that she was a moaning hag ?

dude - *hey its easy to create life, they did it, it's easy*

hag - *OMG I CANT YOU BASTARD*

Now, the obvious answer would be a back hand, but no !, we were given pity fuckery (when later she would create life and abandon it in a box). I might be being unfair because David was win, the captain and vickers were cool too but were left with very little in terms of screen time / lines or exploring anything about their backgrounds so came across as just another prop. Who the fuck gets Guy Ritchie then lets him sleep through most of the movie n all ?, like putting him in an old suite wasn't bad enough.

I didn't like how it lacked any one 'threat' n all, in Alien you had the classic monster story, hunting down it's prey and not knowing which way you'll be fucked etc, in this you wasn't quite sure wether to expect an engineer in a nappy, cobra worm or gymnastic zombie.

A lot of that can be put down to the writing which is what held this movie back imo, or more to the point - Damon Lindelof, anyone who meets this person should punch him in the face til your hand breaks. I absolutely hate and despise movies that leave plot holes or loops so that the viewer can make up their own mind intentionally, some may see it as good writing where as I see it as lazy, and that's what I see this in this movie, just like in LOST and am just glad he made himself unavailable for the sequel.

If the sequel can tie up the lose ends and be just as impressive as Promo, it could definitely launch Prometheus and make it the Alien to Aliens, I'm still a tad sceptical though as even though I think Lindelof is to blame, I'm not sure if it was Ridley Scotts ego that made him consider someone for a re-write, so that he could show off his special effects, like holograms that get triggered by farting or spaceships starting up cos Link played a banging tune (pfft pffft pfffft pffffffft pfffffffffffft).

BTW, twas a prequel ;)

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well it's a prequel to the Alien franchise, at the very least it shows the origins of the Xeno and possible events leading to its creation, without mentioning the direct links like body armour, ship appearence etc and answers some questions that Alien(s) failed to provide.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Who the fuck gets Guy Ritchie then lets him sleep through most of the movie n all ?, like putting him in an old suite wasn't bad enough.

It was Guy Pearce.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some other guy then !

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 11:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My conclusion is that Prometheus was about as enjoyable to the Aliens franchise as Star Wars Ep. 1-3 were compared to Ep. 4-6. It has some neat scenery and CGI effects, but was poor on plot and totally ruined the canon of the original. Perhaps it's not such a bad movie if it totally didn't take a shit on the much loved original. The "aliens" were about as true to the original plotlines as "midichlorian" are responsible for The Force, it shits on everything wonderful about the original movies.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 11:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a guy ritchie aliens film, now that i would pay to see. xenomorphs in the east end - some mad and convoluted scheme, told partially in flashbacks and related anecdotes, where four childhood friends realise they can get rich quick in the construction industry, if only they can lay their hands on an endless supply of highly corrosive acid and maintain it without the local firms, or the police, finding out... hijinks ensue, and vinnie jones cameos just to kick the living fuck out of that guy from 'my two dads'.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
My conclusion is that Prometheus was about as enjoyable to the Aliens franchise as Star Wars Ep. 1-3 were compared to Ep. 4-6. It has some neat scenery and CGI effects, but was poor on plot and totally ruined the canon of the original. Perhaps it's not such a bad movie if it totally didn't take a shit on the much loved original. The "aliens" were about as true to the original plotlines as "midichlorian" are responsible for The Force, it shits on everything wonderful about the original movies.

This is how I felt at first, don't think it's beyond saving though, I heard Alien had a mixed bag of reviews when it was first released due to a predicable story, like, a ship picks up random distress beacon on a planet full of monsters, not really much more of an explanation than that.

Memphis wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:
Some other guy then !

Guy Fawkes?

That guy :D

4days wrote:
a guy ritchie aliens film, now that i would pay to see. xenomorphs in the east end - some mad and convoluted scheme, told partially in flashbacks and related anecdotes, where four childhood friends realise they can get rich quick in the construction industry, if only they can lay their hands on an endless supply of highly corrosive acid and maintain it without the local firms, or the police, finding out... hijinks ensue, and vinnie jones cameos just to kick the living fuck out of that guy from 'my two dads'.

Ahh but there's a twist !, that was missed because it was never fucking shown, rendering the past hour of viewing pointless because we was watching the un-interesting bit. Could be worth it so they could haul Frank Butcher out the ground though :up:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:
it was called that 4 years later...

4 years later than 1977?

no u

The release in Canada had the "Episode IV" sub-title, as it was the first movie I saw in the theatre as a little brat and I still to this day clearly remember the entire audience going "WTF?" and saying out loud,"Episode four? Are we missing something?" as the opening crawl progressed.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 12:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Iron Man 2
8/10

Good fun film. The acting is good such that you really think of those actors as being those extraordinary characters.

Men In Black 3
8/10

It's a comedy film with time travel as a key plot element, which works great for me :) Brilliant casting of the back-in-time good guy (without giving the plot away, but he was in the trailer). He looks a lot like his "older" self which makes it work all the better. Captivating action.

Terminator 4: Salvation
7/10

Good casting and acting for the most part, and the special effects were good enough, but the story was lacking somewhat. So the film was left pretty flat compared to the James Cameron films it's based on. Still I enjoyed it and was glad to see more Terminator action. I hope they make the story better for the sequel.

Avengers (or Avengers Assemble)
8/10

Having only seen the Iron Man films out of the Marvel films connected to this, I was pleasently surprised by how well the characters were realised and the interplay between them, which was pretty humourous and just plain entertaining. I had previously seen very short bits of the Hulk films and decided the way they'd done the Hulk with special effects looked terrible; in this film, however, he was realised very well.

Tron Legacy
8/10

Lovely film with great charactisation and interactions between the characters. Also the music was inspired; getting Daft Punk to do all the original music and even putting them in the film was just the right thing to do. Their music fits the film brilliantly. The film looks magnificent aswell. They really got that Tron other-world look going.

Prometheus.
7/10

Looks great. Great special effects. I was interested in what was going to happen next all the time, but despite that, the story was pretty lame. One bit of brief hand to hand combat action was great, but that was the only thing that stood out in the film as special apart from the special effects.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy fuck DTS loves shit movies.

I agree with your opinions on Tron Legacy and The Avengers...but on the other movies you must have had your head really far up your ass to give them those scores.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Liking The Avengers completely invalidates your opinion on what a shit movie is.

ROFL

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't place so much importance on the scores, it's what you write that's more important.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 12:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS' post - 9/10

Fucking useless.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
seremtan wrote:
4 years later than 1977?

no u

The release in Canada had the "Episode IV" sub-title, as it was the first movie I saw in the theatre as a little brat and I still to this day clearly remember the entire audience going "WTF?" and saying out loud,"Episode four? Are we missing something?" as the opening crawl progressed.

if it only had Ep IV in the title from 1981, why the fuck are you arguing about whether it had Ep IV in the original 1977 release, which it clearly didn't and you know that?

lol dumb ppl...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 01:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched Doom again last night. Seems like only recently I watched it :?:

Entertaining & what I expected

IMDB

Probably rate it about a 6/10 on this second view as I thought highly first time I recall :smirk:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get out.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 03:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
if it only had Ep IV in the title from 1981, why the fuck are you arguing about whether it had Ep IV in the original 1977 release, which it clearly didn't and you know that?

lol dumb ppl...

lol fag

I'm arguing against the myth that Lucas had the whole story written back in 1977 like he claimed. He didn't...he's admitted as much. He had a vague notion, but he didn't write it out at the time.

I'm using it as a comparison as another director being full of shit, which Ridley Scott clearly is when he and other morons on this forum claim that Prometheus had NOTHING to do with the Alien franchise.

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 10-19-2012 03:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 03:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Liking The Avengers completely invalidates your opinion on what a shit movie is.

ROFL

fuck u...

It's not a great movie by any stretch, but it's a far sight better than 99% of the other comic book crap that's pumped out every week.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 03:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GFY is in full meltdown mode, better batten down the doughnut shops and hold on tight.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:
director being full of shit, which Ridley Scott clearly is when he and other morons on this forum claim that Prometheus had NOTHING to do with the Alien franchise.

wat :?:

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
DTS wrote:

Memphis wrote:
So far, it's in no meaningful way related to the characters, events or plot from Alien. So no and no.

Oh wow. Retards do exist.

I don't give a flying fuck what Ridley Scott says, it's more than obvious this is directly connected to the Alien franchise. He can try to run away from it all he wants, but nobody that isn't a complete moron believes him.

Mitt Romney says he cares about poor people...do you idiots believe that as well?

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 10-19-2012 03:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
GFY is in full meltdown mode, better batten down the doughnut shops and hold on tight.

Better loosen that t-shirt wrapped around your head because you sound like a mornon.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 03:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:

ROFL

fuck u...

It's not a great movie by any stretch, but it's a far sight better than 99% of the other comic book crap that's pumped out every week.

LOL it's a whole fucking collection of the comic book crap that's pumped out every week :olo:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.