Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 01-16-2010 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^Ghost I really, really hate that lava texture

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-16-2010 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking interesting, ^Ghost. I'd suggest releasing an alpha to get the layout working before you do too much more work on the aesthetic. Looks like there's a lot of ways this map could go wrong gameplay/performance wise.

The "falling ashes" particle effect is a really awesome idea. :)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 04:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
Starting to be a bit overkill on screenshots sock :p

Oh really!?! is there a monthly quota? :p Should I not post anything and just go back to lurking? Would anyone come back here if we all lurked? Should I find a new place to hang out for Q3 stuff!?! ;)

It might seem an overkill considering that hardly anyone posts new stuff here anymore but I can't see what the fuss is about. The screenshot is a progress thing, I thought the bookcase style was cool and it certainly adds a nice touch to an empty wall space. The dirty glass was inspired by AEon's comment that he wants to borrow my glass texture for his map. The previous version I was using was an old ID texture, low res and an odd tech style. This version is photosourced from an old sea lamp I saw in the Berlin Aquarium while trying to avoid the cold weather recently. I thought the overall composition of the screenshot was cool and I just wanted to share ...

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sock,
I think he might have been pulling your leg.

Your shot is cool - I very much love the book case, how lovingly every singly one was placed - and the improved glass was also noted. Can it be that you split the glass in two (at the half height level?) - the lower part being "scratched up" the upper half more clean... thus actually using two glass textures?

Though I still think a thread exclusively dedicated to your SP map would be even better to consolidate all the shots and comments related to the development of your map. But that probably just me, I like it neat and tidy :toothy:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 07:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@AEon, yeah I understand Fjoggs was pulling my leg but phffff! too many screenshots!?! phffff :p The glass is a single texture, 512x512 using a single stage shader, no lightmap to give it the frosty look. The opacity is alpha layer controller so it looks diffferent from many angles. You can also see the top of the window (top right) has some dirt/frost. You really only notice the dirt when something is behind it to contrast the glass image. I spent ages creating lots of details outside of the windows and luckily it seems to have paid off. I suppose a dedicated thread would have been a good thing but the map started out as an experiment / doodle, I never thought it would develop into a full map.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 01:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pat Howard wrote:
Looking interesting, ^Ghost. I'd suggest releasing an alpha to get the layout working before you do too much more work on the aesthetic. Looks like there's a lot of ways this map could go wrong gameplay/performance wise.

well its a defrag map, if any1 here is decent at defrag and wants to take a shot at it, be my guest. http://www.mediafire.com/?tdznznomxgm

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^Ghost wrote:
Pat Howard wrote:

well its a defrag map, if any1 here is decent at defrag and wants to take a shot at it, be my guest. http://www.mediafire.com/?tdznznomxgm

I like the concept, ghost. I recommend first of all adding a lava sound (at least a bubbling sound). I love the ashes falling from the sky and the color of the flowing lava.

When you crouch near (or on) the line that holds the starting entity you stay crouched:

Missing texture:

Cool map.

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 02:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thx for the input man i appreciate it, i added sound fixed missing texture added some minor details, and thinking of changing the black/grey lava to something more suitable..

just curious did u test in vq3 or cpm?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 02:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up: nice ! but you can put the "hell_dn sky" on the lava falls, it can be more realistic isn't it :rolleyes:

tested in cpm the start is hard for newbies but its ok for me :D

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1 more thing in teh rocket part, the second gap, can u guys clear that with gettin as much speed... Image

fixed the start as well.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 04:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sorry i'm a noob with guns :cry: i can't pass i need the gl !!! if you want make the 2nd gap longer and the end lower for a 2xrj

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tested with cpm. It seemed much easier after the starting strafes (not that they were overly hard). Then again I freestyle about 90% of the time so weapons are what I'm good with.

Looks good, ghost. If you have any other test versions feel free to post them.

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 09:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chugging along, changing layout around to eliminate Swiss Cheese effect and long lines of sight

Sock: :drool:

^Ghost: my OCD tells me you should caulk those unseen faces! The idea of ash falling is a pretty awesome one

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 12:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@kaz: Are you going to use lightstyles?

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 01:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I can't wait to get them in there somewhere :)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 01:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaz,
getting the floor deco into the map.... nice. Neat round grate "ventilation" on the wall.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 02:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@kaz: i thought all useen faces will not be rendered in q3 if its structural

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 06:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^Ghost, that's true, but some of us are old ;)

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 12:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaz, looks like a mix of hl2 and industrial unreal tourney work :)

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heres the final release of my map... http://q3a.ath.cx/?mapdetails=ghost-isweird

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
Tech Noir/Cyberpunk styled...

This maps done - gameplay vise - tested many, many times. But it might take a while to fix the graphics...
(Ps, I know the "trash texture" on the ground looks very bad, it's also very temporary =))

Looking through old posts... I noted this shot... was that actually made into a map Hipshot... don't recall seeing it in any of your maps.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-19-2010 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some low res work.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-20-2010 01:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@AEon: IIRC hipshot gave up on this one, but implemented it in one of his maps in some other way? (EDIT: Or was it Kaz being inspired by that? Damn my memory leaves me with nothing but confusion recently.)
@g0th-: This looks great! You might want to make the stocks holding the sweeps of your windmill a bit more consistent, they look a little too weak to hold the sweeps on their own in my opinion; I'm not a windmill expert though. ;)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-20-2010 02:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice work with the light translucency of the cloth material so it looks like some of the light passes through.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-20-2010 02:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@g0th-

That's awesome, especially for that size of uvmap.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-21-2010 02:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably right monaster, I'm not an expert myself :)
obsidian and grenader, thanks!

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 12:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stars and moons

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 12:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

woah!... AMAZING!

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 12:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's so fanciful!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 01:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh... that looks quite different than what I was expecting.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 01:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sock wrote:
Stars and moons

Reminds me of the puzzles in Uru (loved that game). I know I'll be taking tons of screenshots for my desktop playing your SP map.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 01:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very nice Sock, you're crazy doing all this in brushes :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 02:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sock wrote:
Stars and moons

:ducky:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-23-2010 02:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks fkd and Kaz, it is good to know what people like or don't like and especially their initial reaction.
@obsidian, yeah it is different direction to my initial concept but I found some new reference images. Plus I think this layout looks more fantasy and less tech/mechanical. Final beta soonly!
@AEon, I have never heard of that game but it is cool to know you want to create some desktop screenshots. I might try and create a pack of my favourite locations for when I release the map.
@g0th, All the objects started out as brushwork/patches but the whole structure is a large collection of ASE models with the globes being fine tuned in Lightwave. The tricky bit was creating a brushwork version afterwards of the models for bullet/player collision.
@PatH, you like? :p

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-23-2010 04:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uru is a spinoff of sorts of Myst.
there are defo some Myst cues in those shots :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.