Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-23-2009 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All that intricate wood-work reminds me of those wooden Russian churches or witch huts on "chicken legs" that come up in fairy tales... since the wood is so dark it has something deeply disturbing, IMO. "Wood Gothic"! :p

You must have done quite some digging to find all those wood textures.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 09-23-2009 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Aeon, I was going for a cellar, wood beams under floor style. Using only 3 types of wood textures with different light colours to create the feeling of unique spaces. Cold/blue for lift shaft, warm/yellow for under floor section.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 09-25-2009 03:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More machinery ...

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 09-25-2009 09:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome work sock! I'm pretty much fan of how the broken floor and the wooden elements.

Decided to use evil8 and sock's tech textures.

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 09-25-2009 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 09-25-2009 10:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@cityy, what is the style of the place going to be? a type of location? any sketch or art ideas?

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 09-25-2009 10:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
@cityy, what is the style of the place going to be? a type of location? any sketch or art ideas?

I just picked up elements of photos I've seen browsing through different online galleries. Hard to describe for me what I want to do here because of my limited english - I want to make it look like a dirty city or a slum but as you can see there is not much detail yet to make it visible. I planed to use some dark tech textures and put brown/red lights.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 09-27-2009 08:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just a little test screenshot from OverDose for how we are doing our blending in certain areas. The following screenshot contains no fancy tech... The same can be done in Quake 3 and Doom 3, with no fancy add ons. Its just simple vertex blending and smart decal placement. Let me know what you think:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-27-2009 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks great odium

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 09-29-2009 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Metals grates and swirly things ...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-29-2009 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmm... it's starting to look a little too tech like and a bit cold. Needs a slight bit more wood in the tech to warm it up, IMO. Maybe replace the metal grates with carved wood? Change the colour of the energy effect?

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 09-29-2009 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the pentragram lights could use a bit more "orange" and also emit a stronger light... level seems very "white" now, maybe that's intentional?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-29-2009 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd suggest a higher resolution electricity effect, it's not of the same quality as the rest of the scene.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-29-2009 02:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In the template texture bandwagon, here's a third of a level.

Also, i can jump from the ledge to that window.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-29-2009 03:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you can, but bots wont.

and ix i imagine when animated the electricity texture will work fine... i just dont see any gameplay... just a bunch of nice detail... also it is suffering of brown... like quake 1...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-29-2009 03:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why are all the template textures orange? :P

I made textures that look almost exactly the same about 2-3 years ago lol

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-29-2009 10:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is actually stranger than you think... the template texture set by evillair is actually pure orange, but on all the shots it looks like some milder pastel orange/yellow. And in GTKradiant is also looks mellowed down - don't get me wrong this is "good", because pure orange is a bit hard on the eyes.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 01:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the feedback, most appreciated. Not been getting many comments lately, must be screenshot overdose! :D

@obsidian, yep good point, I will replace the grates with light coloured wood, it should help with the warmth factor. This is the final puzzle machine on the second floor so it needs to feel slightly different but with extra wood. :)

@Hipshot , it is mostly the bounce of the grey textures, always frustrating to get right. I will switch some of the lights out for coloured ones and replace the walls with a deeper coloured wood.

@ix-ir, yeah the electricity is ID stock textures, damn annoying jpg compression and low res to make things worse. I will scale them down and try and remove the artifacts, it should be a bit better.

@fKd, you can't really show gameplay from any screenshot. This map is not designed for bots or DM play, it is an explore/puzzle environment so probably even more frustrating to imagine what it does from a screenshot.

Here is a couple of editor views to show gameplay logic :-
a) the machine seen before but with the entity logic to the right (to confuse even more!)
b) the main generator, probably the more complex of the two with lots of heavily scripted stuff.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 03:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oooo, very cool, Sock. I hope you release the .map file for this one because I'm definitely going to want to check out what's going on under the hood.

Are you using any plasma halls like the ones you saw in Q? I've always wondered how many other people have figured out this hack. I learned it from NaturalSpringWater who told me he figured it out on his own.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 04:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@pat, yeah I will release the .map file, no point hiding it, should be a lot of fun for others to see in the editor. I assume you have not seen this document :

http://www.skore.de/images/stories/Q3A/Q3A_Electronics.pdf
The original inventor of the q3 plasma logic gate! :p

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 09:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remember when skore first posted that article. It's still probably the coolest thing I've ever seen done with Quake 3.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 10:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aha! Very nice, thanks for the link. NSW will get a kick out of this.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 06:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very cool stuff with the scripting workaround. I'm also very curious to see Sock's puzzle map in action.

Still working on the q1dm5 remake, and going slow as ever.

Lighting is slowly getting there. Water shader obviously still needs to be tweaked for light levels. Working on the details and getting bits "off grid" as suggested.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 06:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oddly reminds me of oblivion, nice work man

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 09:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the woodwork in the ceiling, the floor textures and the broken bits of brick in the corner.

Try casting a stronger directional spotlight beyond the skylight in the last shot (or tweak the sky shader if there is one). You should be able to get some nice lighting on the floor. Don't make it perfectly vertical, angle the spotlight slightly to make it look like moonlight or something.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 11:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@tabun, add some pure white point lights to off balance the yellow torches. Put some of them out, see if you can seperate the model into torch and holder so you can have more variety. Try corner/floor braziers instead of torches, have floor light sources as well.

That wooden roof style is gorgeous but extend it the length of the corridor, the flat roof corner is strange. The broken brick corner is a nice start, just need more, lifted tiles, broken tiles, corner chips, show the layers to the building, what is underneath the brickwork, another material type etc

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 11:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@tabun - bitchin'

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-01-2009 03:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@obsidian: Will do. The sky is just a bunch of moving clouds, so I felt diffuse light would make more sense than strong directional. Not that most people would even notice that it would be odd otherwise. :]

@sock: for details, that's what I was planning to do. Mostly breaking wooden beams and tearing holes here and there, but I'll see if I can find better ways to do it, still. Also, some of the torches are out, just not in those shots. :) (Torch model is my own, and it doesn't have the light source attached, so that was easy enough.)

Side question: I know it's *bad* to use rotation tools and arbitrary rotation, but is it safe to rotate and then snap the vertices to the grid? I would expect radiant to forget about odd decimals after snapping, but everyone's been so harsh about rotation that I'm not quite sure what to think. :]

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 10-01-2009 03:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tabun wrote:
Side question: I know it's *bad* to use rotation tools and arbitrary rotation, but is it safe to rotate and then snap the vertices to the grid? I would expect radiant to forget about odd decimals after snapping, but everyone's been so harsh about rotation that I'm not quite sure what to think. :]

Well as a *hint* to find out where the next vertex should go on the grid, arbitrary rotation is no issue. Problem is though this rarely seems to work out. It might actually be better to convert your object to ASE and then to rotate the model anyway you please. For what you are thinking, normally the "snap to grid" via Ctlr+G should do that, only I felt it rarely worked. But manually snapping your vertices to grid should be fine. Run a brush cleanup (bobtoolz) over the whole map to be sure all the brush faces are "valid".

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-01-2009 04:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nothing wrong with rotation imo... use it all the time.... what would be wrong with it?

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 10-01-2009 04:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ye, rotation is fine as long as you don't intend to continue modifying the brushes you rotated.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-01-2009 04:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see. I got some nasty errors after rotating patches, so maybe it's different for brushes, too.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-01-2009 04:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmmmmmm maybe... but maybe not, calling engine pros! (im interested as well now)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-01-2009 05:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It wont cause any issues if you make the brush or brushes a func_static. This avoids weird texture issues too. The danger is of freehand rotating brushes and patches normally is getting verts off grid. It can fix things if you snap to grid but that often leads oddly distorted brushes, sometimes duplicate planes in older versions of GTK too I think

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-01-2009 05:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.