Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        brkdm2 - Beta 1

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: brkdm2 - Beta 1

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/shrimp/Beta1-1.jpg[/lvlshot]
[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/shrimp/Beta1-5.jpg[/lvlshot]
[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/shrimp/Beta1-6.jpg[/lvlshot]
[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/shrimp/Beta1-8.jpg[/lvlshot]

Download here 2.18Mb

* Still trying to make the Rail Gun area a bit more "real" looking, having a hard time doing so.

* Looking for a better ceiling texture, no luck there either just yet.

*Will add platform sounds next go around, just now thought about that. :/

Holy Fucking Shit
Holy Fucking Shit
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oo i was waiting for this :)
tis very sexah
*downloads*
be back in 10 >:E

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice to see your skills developing :icon14:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 10:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dude, add a light fog to the level allover already! :p

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 10:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think you need to sort out the JPs in the map. Having a JP sitting in the middle of the floor with no indication of just where it's going to send you (up doesn't count :) ), is annoying. It means you're playing the map rather than the game.

I also think it's be better if the plats had a uniform design. For example, I kept jumping onto the one roughly below where the LG is only to find that it went nowhere because there was a gap at the back which I didn't find with others. I must admit I've never been a big fan of plats in Q3. They impede the flow of the game.

I see that you've included the common.shader in your pk3 which you don't need to because we already have it. Besides, it might mess things up for mappers because of potential conflicts it could cause.

The lighting seemed a bit flat and dull. Are you going to add some lights (fixtures) or just leave the lighting sourceless?

Looking the the texturing, it's a little bit patchy in places. In places it's as if you tried a texture to see what it was like, didn't like it, but forgot to replace it. There's an instance of one of the spider textures from the Q3 base set which suddenly, and for no reason I can discern, appears on a section of wall.

Bots seem to do well enough, although there seemed to be a lot of action around the TP area and once you have the RG, there's a nice long line of sight from the TP end to the stairs where players are potentially quite vulnerable.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 10:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually like the fog throughout the level, but what about the lower areas where the red fog was? Just leave it like that...maybe some spkes or something? What do ya think.

[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/shrimp/shot0000.jpg[/lvlshot]

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anwulf wrote:
I think you need to sort out the JPs in the map. Having a JP sitting in the middle of the floor with no indication of just where it's going to send you (up doesn't count :) ), is annoying. It means you're playing the map rather than the game.

I also think it's be better if the plats had a uniform design. For example, I kept jumping onto the one roughly below where the LG is only to find that it went nowhere because there was a gap at the back which I didn't find with others. I must admit I've never been a big fan of plats in Q3. They impede the flow of the game.

I see that you've included the common.shader in your pk3 which you don't need to because we already have it. Besides, it might mess things up for mappers because of potential conflicts it could cause.

The lighting seemed a bit flat and dull. Are you going to add some lights (fixtures) or just leave the lighting sourceless?

Looking the the texturing, it's a little bit patchy in places. In places it's as if you tried a texture to see what it was like, didn't like it, but forgot to replace it. There's an instance of one of the spider textures from the Q3 base set which suddenly, and for no reason I can discern, appears on a section of wall.

Bots seem to do well enough, although there seemed to be a lot of action around the TP area and once you have the RG, there's a nice long line of sight from the TP end to the stairs where players are potentially quite vulnerable.

I've been searching for one light fixture I had about a year ago...don't think I'll find it but yeah, the plans are to add some actuall lights.

Textures aren't 100% final, I was trying a few things over in the RL area and the main area over in one corner...wanted to see if they fit or not...guess that's a no. :D

As for your platform suggestion, I actually ran into that a couple of times as well...never crossed my mind in radiant though. Will fix.

I'm going to play around with placing the a nice big fog brush thoughout the map, if I do that, that's going to fix the line of sight problems for the rail whores.

Thanks. :icon14:

Also, i see what your saying about the Jp's...but they go straight up and you have 2 options on both of them of where you go. That's why I made them like the are. If that's a problem I'll work them another way.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 10:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
I actually like the fog throughout the level, but what about the lower areas where the red fog was? Just leave it like that...maybe some spkes or something? What do ya think.

[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/shrimp/shot0000.jpg[/lvlshot]

Rocks and lava? A nice rockey bottom to the pit with lava?

And as for the fog, dont make it so you cant see all the way over the map, just so it shrouds it i guess...

Anyways, I was sure you could combine two fogs in Q3?

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 10:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've tried it a few diff ways and it doesn't look right with the 2 diff. fogs... It's real bright where it changes.

The map also isn't running to hot with the fog like it is, I do have radiant, winamp, firefox and azereus open...but 125fps is jumpy, (on a CPU: 2.6Ghz, Vid. Card: ti4400 128Mb, RAM: 2Gb). (The whole map is drawn pretty much the whole time anyway) :p

I'll see what I can come up with though, I really like the fog like it is above..

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 09-24-2005 11:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

had a quick run through it:

- nice map; needs a bit more detail thought, i think.

- i think you need to add a second RL somewhere ( on the lower levels )

- it's a bit dark

- i loved the large JP in the 3 level room. however, you should decrease the trigger's size as you hit the top plat sometimes.

- i'm not sure wether this is intentional or not but the JP next to the RL bounces you back to the RL plat if you dont use air control.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-27-2005 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

- The jump pads should be a uniform texture imo. Some are one tex, and some (at least the one by RA) is a different texture entirely.
- The elevators should be a little more removed from the surrounding area, either in terms of texturing or brushwork. They dont stand out enough as elevators.
- The route to the PG is long and uneventful, with very little payoff. Seems like a dead area that needs to go (the stairway behind the PG that sort of wraps around).
- Maybe use a different TP model? The one your using now doesnt seem to fit.
- You need a 2nd rl big time :D
- You could also probably add a 2nd YA. The map is big enough to get away with it.
- Possibly put a weapon (even a weak one) on the lower level of the RA room - its pretty barren. An SG in the corner would be awesome :)
- Maybe have a weapon or item on the top level. The top level goes across three entire rooms with only a GL to show for it :D Maybe add some shards, or a 2nd YA?

Map looks great though - fun layout, good flow. I LOVE the railgun and RA locations. Sweet.

Please dont add fog :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-28-2005 07:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the layout - great flow

Playing with gamma set to 1, I had trouble telling whether the plats were up or down because of how dark it is around them.

I think that you should not add fog, but if you don't, you might need to do something else to decrease the line of sight in the open area.

If you end up using a lighter texture set, my point about the lighting may not be an issue.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 09-28-2005 07:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only thing that I'll add is a brush discrepancy on the plat near the RG.

Here it looks cut out in the corners.
[lvlshot]http://members.cox.net/jwivie3/brkdm2a.jpg[/lvlshot]

Here it doesn't.
[lvlshot]http://members.cox.net/jwivie3/brkdm2b.jpg[/lvlshot]

Looking good so far though. :icon14:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.