Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Weapon Animation Scripting

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Weapon Animation Scripting

It starts. I win. The end!
PostPosted: 04-01-2005 06:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am making a new weapon and as I set here making my script I realize that in my bg_misc.c many of the other weapons have these values:

/*QUAKED weapon_myweapon (.3 .3 1) (-16 -16 -16) (16 16 16) suspended
*/
{
'weapon_myweapon',
'sound/misc/w_pkup.wav',
{ 'models/weapons2/myweapon/myweapon.md3',
0, 0, 0},
/* icon */ 'icons/iconw_myweapon',
/* pickup */ 'myweapon',
IT_WEAPON,
WP_myweapon,
/* precache */'',
/* sounds */''
},

As I understand it the value in red is for additional models required.

The weapon I am making will have some moving parts. Will I need to indicate the moving parts as additional models?

Actually I just looked at the script for the BFG, and I know there is a gear on the side of it that rotates when you fire it, but the script for the BFG dosen't indicate any additional models. So probably not, but I am giong to ask anyway just to be sure.

Also as I understand that the value in blue is for additional sounds required.

So, if I want the moving parts to make a sound when they move will I need to indicate the additional sounds?

PostPosted: 04-02-2005 05:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never mind I figured this one out.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 01:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Please post your solution, makes it easier for other people who have the same problem to find it. And i'm interested :p

PostPosted: 04-03-2005 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, yea that would be a good idea...duh :dork: . Sorry it really has been a while since I've been to the forums....heh.

Anyway:

1) Like I said the bfg has a gear that rotates on the side of it and there is no addotional models indicated in the bg.misc.c for the bfg, and all animations are written into the .md3 for the model when the model is created.

As for the sounds there is no need for additional sounds in the bg.misc.c. I broke down the sound files for some other weapons it seems all sounds involved for a weapon are included or overlayed in that weapons main sound files. If you will listen to the sound file for the shotgun you can hear the blast sound then you can hear the "click, click" from reloading it all in the same sound file.

So when defining a new general weapon there is no need to indicate anthing special in the values I asked about above.

Now if you are doing something special or unusual with a weapon there might be a use for these values but I haven't went into that yet. So even I dont know.

Hope this helps!

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 04-03-2005 09:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Always nice to learn stuff. Thanks

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.