Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Lightmap alignment bug?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Lightmap alignment bug?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-01-2007 11:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The two yellow surfaces in the red circle have the same base texture with nothing funky going on, no shader effects. The one on the left is a 45 degree surface and both have a high res lightmap (that seems to be the highest Q3 will do, 2 unit by 2 unit luxels). The light map seems to be badly misaligned on the 45 degree surface and I've seen this elsewhere on maps. Does anyone know anything about lightmap misalignments? I'd like to fix it without using a shader to manually map a fake lightmap on because this looks very different in a 'leet config' (or does the way I do it using the lightmap as a shader stage, is there a way to avoid this?).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-02-2007 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I obviously might be completely wrong, just looking at a single screenshot, but to me it looks like it's just getting shadowed by something, rather than being misaligned?

The shadow is even consistant (matches up with) the shadowed end of the adjoining flat orange face immediately to the left in that shot (and on the wall behind), and the slant up (on the right edge of the slanted face) also matches up with the shadow line on the flat orange face on the right...?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-02-2007 03:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, now that you mention it, it DOES look like it's being shaded by something.

From the looks of the angles of the shadows it appears to be the trim and the light source may be a ceiling light above (possibly the lighted RG area?)

If you look at it the 45 degree face matches the lighting of the yellow brushes furthest to the right.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-02-2007 03:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking at it again I think you're both right, it is just the upper lip of the plat preventing the only major light source (sky) reaching that face. The effect was so extreme it looked like a bug to me, I was expecting the bright seperation from the right adjacent face to continue onto that face but the lip perfectly covers it. I'll use some bounce or more small lights to soften it up a bit. Ta muchly. =)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-02-2007 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That ledge/nook is too deep ;P (ix knows what I mean)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-02-2007 05:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you mean the RG no, it's been trimmed as you suggested, the texture's been scaled.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-03-2007 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok ok i'll shut up <3

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-03-2007 12:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Part of the trouble is that the yellow part is just a flat colour - if you have some grunge or noise in the texture then the lightmaps will blend into it and become less noticably jaggy than they are at the moment, so the weirdness caused by the those adjacent faces being on different lightmaps will be much less obvious.

(The texture at the top right might benifit from roughening up a bit too - looks quite clean compared to the rest of the ones - I noticed this in the other screens you posted btw, but got distracted from posting it)

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 06-03-2007 02:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Out of interest, have you tried making a phong shader for that texture so that those 3 faces are lit as a single surface?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-03-2007 06:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll give it a try.

Shallow: it's a gameplay map so my aim is to keep the textures fairly clean and simple.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.