Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        What.....why is my lava solid?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: What.....why is my lava solid?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-02-2010 04:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been working on some of these 20-brush maps and I've run into a strange issue with one of them, when I compile in os x, the lava compiles as a solid brush, and doesn't light the area around it. When I compile in windows, it works fine.

What gives? I....don't know what would be different about a core asset of quake 3 between operating systems.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-02-2010 05:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sure you haven't accidentally left out the liquids.shader from the shaderlist.txt on the mac environment?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-02-2010 06:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure, I mean the texture shows up in radiant, plus the motion of the texture moves around in-game, but the whole...water-like surface modulation part of it, and the surface lighting aren't there. It's almost like it's reading half the shader.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-02-2010 09:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What are the other faces of the brush textured with?

Shaders only affect the properties of that one face of a brush with the exception of volumetric brushes like liquids, fogs, etc. If you have a brush textured with more than one shader and one of them has volumetric properties and the other does not, Q3Map2 has no idea how you want the entire brush to behave since you have two contradicting shaders. It picks one seemingly* at random and applies that to the entire brush.

If this is the case, "Lavacaulk" might be a solution, but let me know exactly what's going on with the lava, if you have multiple lava brushes, and how are they textured, etc.

Otherwise, double check your shaders and also any other custom shaders... any missing syntax like a missing "}" (even if it's in another shader or shader file) could cause the game to only read part of your shader. Console and Q3Map2 log might tell you more if this is the case.

* It's actually not random, it's the first shader entry for that brush in the .map file, there's just no easy way to dictate which shader shows up first for that brush in the .map.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-02-2010 10:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's what I thought too, I deleted the brush and started over, and I noticed when I made a new brush NetRadiant (in both os x and windows) drew the triangles of the brush, which I've never seen it do before. Then, when I load up windows xp and run GTKRadiant, it makes a new brush just fine that compiles correctly and the editor doesn't show any of the triangles like NetRadiant seems to.

I've been using liquids/protolava since......always - it's the lava I used all throughout razztazzmagoria..and all of my maps actually. I've been sure to select the whole brush and replace the whole thing with protolava and...that had no effect in the os x compile. I'm....without a clue.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-03-2010 05:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Because I'm insane, I have a 4GB flash drive which I've made into a mobile quake 3 workstation which contained a "known to be working" copy of quake 3 which I just copied to my system, and I just re-configured my editors, and now it's fine. I guess there's a shader in a PK3 file that's screwing with q3map2 that's using the same name as an original shader. I'm not sure, but luckily now I can just rip out the entire broken folder and "restore" my ..quake 3 image...so whatever, I found a workaround.

*edit

holy crap I post too much, how am I already a "commander"?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-03-2010 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a 16GB flash drive with the same setup. You're not alone. :D

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-04-2010 02:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Me too I have a "Quake in a Flash Drive" Setup. In fact, I have Quake 1, 2, 3 and Warsow crammed into a 4GB Drive and I still have some space left.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.