Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Foo3DM4 - Gloves Off

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Foo3DM4 - Gloves Off

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-08-2022 06:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello. This map layout has been sat on my HDD since 2005. It was dreadful, but by messing around with it now less dreadful, possibly even playable. Netradiant-custom is such a delight to use compared to busted old GTK that working on it is no longer a masochistic act :drool:

Latest version is in rotation on Duff's Q3 servers at q3.monroec.com (US East) and q3w.monroec.com (US West) if you want to test it against Real Human Beans.

PS this level is unrelated to the beta Foo3DM4 that I put out many years ago and never completed. If that puppy ever does come back it'll be under a new name.

Test versions:
Alpha 1
Alpha 2
Alpha 3
Alpha 4
Alpha 5
Beta 1
Beta 2
Beta 3
Beta 4

Released!
Release Version (Latest)
Quake Live version in the Steam Workshop

Attachments:
shot-20220831-200239.jpg
shot-20220831-200239.jpg [ 94.44 KB | Viewed 212 times ]
shot-20220831-200210.jpg
shot-20220831-200210.jpg [ 124.39 KB | Viewed 218 times ]
shot-20220831-200139.jpg
shot-20220831-200139.jpg [ 63.9 KB | Viewed 237 times ]

Last edited by Foo on 09-08-2022 04:31 AM, edited 11 times in total.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 08-09-2022 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really like the layout. I haven't fully developed a routine on it yet but I think it is safe to say that the central gallery below the RA is a little too powerful of a position.

It's a good location to be in after a kill because you can hear pretty much all the spawns and have a direct line of sight on MH, RA, LG, RL and RG. My initial thought that the RL positioning is a bit harsh considering that is the go-to defensive weapon has not left me. It's quite a death trap. I'd rather see rail down there, PG up at RG and RL at PG to give that side of the map some more weight as well.

I like that the PG is a really useful tool on the map, to get up on the various ledges like MH. I'm not sure the grate above RL is needed, at least not in that size, it seems like a tad too much and gets annoying in rocket fights on top. Maybe something like the RA ledge on Aerowalk would be more suitable in terms of perforation. The overall connectivity physically as well as visually is good. I would definitely not open up anything any further. It's on the edge of it imo. YA positioning seems good!

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-09-2022 12:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks cityy, and also GG! Interesting how the map shakes out with humans vs bots.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-10-2022 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I never thought I would see a map post by Foo ever again. I need to play this!

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-10-2022 10:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually all your fault inf - If you hadn't agreed to let me slip in way late to Geocomp 4 back in 06, that level would have never been crunched out, and revisiting that recently rekindled my desire to spend some time in Radiant once again.

Also that 3 day, 24h crunch was the 2nd most tired I have ever been in my life, but I'm still happy with the end result.

Last edited by Foo on 08-10-2022 11:49 AM, edited 1 time in total.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-10-2022 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Actually all your fault inf - If you hadn't agreed to let me slip in way late to Geocomp 4 back in 06, that level would have never been crunched out, and revisiting that recently rekindled my desire to spend some time in Radiant once again.

Also that 3 day, 24h crunch was the 2nd most tired I have ever been in my life, but I'm still happy with the end result.

You linked to the wrong thread but I haven't forgotten that :)
It's a shame I actually lost those maps, do you still have yours?
I would love to be able to walk around in your blood, sweat and tears map!

Also, I checked out this map. Good first impression. I'll post some more feedback when I have time to really sit down and play it with bots.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-10-2022 11:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting, if you strip out the view=previous from the URL it takes you to a different thread. Fixed now.

The geocomp 4 levels I know about are:
Donkey - dk_ib - https://lvlworld.com/download/id:1879
Stjartmunnen - Projectile Vomiting - https://lvlworld.com/download/id:1922
Remnent - gc4_ra - https://lvlworld.com/download/id:1901
A-Spec - AspecQ3compet1 - http://aspecmaps.free.fr/AspecQ3compet1.html
Foo - gc4_foo - https://lvlworld.com/text/queue/gc4_foo

I did find something that mentioned a sixth submission (Fjoggs?) but haven't dug that out.

Do you have a backup of leveldesign.nl's content/forums somewhere? Might be more info there. Sadly archive.org only has the first page of the geocomp 4 forum thread.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-11-2022 03:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How Stjartmunnen can get away with that name after all this time, eludes me.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-11-2022 03:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
How Stjartmunnen can get away with that name after all this time, eludes me.

Guess his next map will be called "Explosive Diarrhea" :olo:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 01:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i am the leader of this clan

also, this map needs a name

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 11:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty sure it's called "Petabytes of shit", not sure though.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-14-2022 03:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nono, that was the new death metal band name. I'll need something slightly less crude for this :olo:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-15-2022 05:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Interesting, if you strip out the view=previous from the URL it takes you to a different thread. Fixed now.

The geocomp 4 levels I know about are:
Donkey - dk_ib - https://lvlworld.com/download/id:1879
Stjartmunnen - Projectile Vomiting - https://lvlworld.com/download/id:1922
Remnent - gc4_ra - https://lvlworld.com/download/id:1901
A-Spec - AspecQ3compet1 - http://aspecmaps.free.fr/AspecQ3compet1.html
Foo - gc4_foo - https://lvlworld.com/text/queue/gc4_foo

I did find something that mentioned a sixth submission (Fjoggs?) but haven't dug that out.

Do you have a backup of leveldesign.nl's content/forums somewhere? Might be more info there. Sadly archive.org only has the first page of the geocomp 4 forum thread.

Nice find, brings back a lot of memories. I only had 2 maps, the one from Donkey and the one from Stjartmunnen. But no, there's not a 6th submission. This is the complete pack. It feels weird to walk around in them after all these years.

Yes, I have the full database of Leveldesign, but also of Levelsource. Because unlike Astrocreep with Map-center/Levelmakers, Redfella just gave me the database which got integrated with the Leveldesign one. Man, I tried a lot of stuff to make that site a success. I even hired a programmer to do that stuff.

I saw some back and forth on the Q3world Discord. Had to rub my eyes a few times to realize there was actually activity in the LEM channel. Where are you at now? Just a name?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-15-2022 09:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis wrote:
Nice find, brings back a lot of memories. I only had 2 maps, the one from Donkey and the one from Stjartmunnen. But no, there's not a 6th submission. This is the complete pack. It feels weird to walk around in them after all these years.

Yes, I have the full database of Leveldesign, but also of Levelsource. Because unlike Astrocreep with Map-center/Levelmakers, Redfella just gave me the database which got integrated with the Leveldesign one. Man, I tried a lot of stuff to make that site a success. I even hired a programmer to do that stuff.

I think the site was a success. Just ageing game and dwindling community of mappers, was always going to be a slowly reducing user base. Even here's super slow now, to b expected I guess. Half the problem is cross-title design is perhaps one of the ways to stay relevant but also cross-title content that's relevant to multiple audiences is not so large. So very few ways to keep a user base going once the game they're based around shrinks down in popularity.

Is what you have restorable or exportable to a flat-file readable format? Would be very interesting to dig through old threads, who knows what gold lurks in there. I've been finding some good stuff on archive.org but like I said, generally only the first page of any multi-page thread and of course file attachments/images are gone. But with the thread content you at least get filenames which can sometimes be found elsewhere., or even just usernames can be a springboard to digging up old stuff or connecting the dots on a few puzzles/missing things.

Quote:
I saw some back and forth on the Q3world Discord. Had to rub my eyes a few times to realize there was actually activity in the LEM channel.

Yeah it's been busy lately, which is great! Long may it continue.

Quote:
Where are you at now? Just a name?

With the level? Finished up the alphas at A5 now just started working on first beta. Pretty happy with the layout and the general item placement. Now disappearing down the black hole of detailing up which hopefully I can get done before I travel home in a few weeks.
Still no name. I was considering 'Level' or possibly 'Map', because I think I resent the need for one :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-15-2022 12:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
I think the site was a success. Just ageing game and dwindling community of mappers, was always going to be a slowly reducing user base. Even here's super slow now, to b expected I guess. Half the problem is cross-title design is perhaps one of the ways to stay relevant but also cross-title content that's relevant to multiple audiences is not so large. So very few ways to keep a user base going once the game they're based around shrinks down in popularity.

Thanks. Although it closed down, I can't deny it wasn't successful in those few short years it was up. Met some cool people, we had great crew and we even did speedmap mp sessions for a while which were hilarious :)

Quote:
Is what you have restorable or exportable to a flat-file readable format? Would be very interesting to dig through old threads, who knows what gold lurks in there. I've been finding some good stuff on archive.org but like I said, generally only the first page of any multi-page thread and of course file attachments/images are gone. But with the thread content you at least get filenames which can sometimes be found elsewhere., or even just usernames can be a springboard to digging up old stuff or connecting the dots on a few puzzles/missing things.

I'll have to look into that, could be very interesting to do, especially since all the Levelsource stuff is there as well.

Quote:
Yeah it's been busy lately, which is great! Long may it continue.

Can I get an amen?

Quote:
With the level? Finished up the alphas at A5 now just started working on first beta. Pretty happy with the layout and the general item placement. Now disappearing down the black hole of detailing up which hopefully I can get done before I travel home in a few weeks. Still no name. I was considering 'Level' or possibly 'Map', because I think I resent the need for one :D

Ah, nice. What about NoName or Nothing or Nameless or The Unspoken?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-20-2022 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Still no name. I was considering 'Level' or possibly 'Map', because I think I resent the need for one :D

In my experience with naming creative endeavours you just gotta have fun with it and not think too hard. The name is generally meaningless anyway, and the thing it is labeling comes to life and gives it meaning. Could call it On the Level :paranoid: :dts:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-20-2022 10:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Call it "Four" :shrug:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-20-2022 11:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or just piss people off and call it 'two'.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-20-2022 12:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah and name the bsp foo3dm5 and have people eternally questioning where they can download Foo's legendary fourth map

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-24-2022 12:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Yeah and name the bsp foo3dm5 and have people eternally questioning where they can download Foo's legendary fourth map

That's evil! :D

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-28-2022 02:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beta 1 + 2 added above, starting to look more like a real level :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-29-2022 12:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played a round against bots on beta 2 and I rate this map -1 out of 10. It's terrible.

For starters. There's no BFG. Why is there no BFG? No BFG means you instantly lose 2 marks. Also, I did not see any walls made out of lava. Lava walls are such iconic features that it's a true shame to be missing out on them. Lose 2 more marks. Third, why isn't there a wide variety of colored lights? The map feels so dull and depressing. Make it look like a unicorn shit its bowels all over the place. But no, not a single pink, fluorescent green or bright red light. Another mark down. No missing textures! None at ALL! What a waste. Strike down three marks. I did not see any z-fighting. Fighting in a map is good, what else is it there for? And Z scores many points in Scrabble, so that must be good. Subtract another mark. Then again, the levelshot is missing, so I'll give you a bonus point for that. As for item layout, there are far too few powerups in this map. You need at least a Quad Damage and a Flight in there, otherwise it's pointless to even play. Two marks subtracted. Lastly, I'm going to have to subtract one more mark because there isn't any unclipped geometry that gets in the way.

In short: It stinks. Throw it in the bin and set fire to it!

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-29-2022 12:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hold the phone please for foo3dm4_eraser_edition.pk3 with some kind of terrible chiptune music, five red armors, and every player gets a quad when they spawn. It'll be :q3: :q3: :q3: :q3: :D

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-29-2022 12:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just a carnage? Not a nightmare? :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-29-2022 02:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geocomp is back!

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-31-2022 12:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beta 3 added. Includes a levelshot just for Eraser <3

Attachments:
foo3dm4_beta3.jpg
foo3dm4_beta3.jpg [ 87 KB | Viewed 207 times ]

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-31-2022 05:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo4dm4

What is this, are you trying to fuck with us? :olo:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-31-2022 11:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-31-2022 04:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK interesting, there's a feature where entities can swap a shader for another one when triggered. However, it seems to be causing a small hitch on singleplayer, and massive lag for all players on multiplayer. So I'm gonna have to put out a beta4 and strip that cute feature out.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-31-2022 08:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beta4 added. Levelshot fixed for Eraser <3

Attachments:
foo3dm4_beta4.jpg
foo3dm4_beta4.jpg [ 5.46 KB | Viewed 13238 times ]

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-31-2022 11:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is getting better and better

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 09-02-2022 02:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Attachments:
foo3dm4.jpg
foo3dm4.jpg [ 12.33 KB | Viewed 13184 times ]

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-03-2022 12:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congratulations on the release of this outstanding piece of work, Foo. Of course I'm talking about the levelshot, not the map.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-03-2022 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

That is one sexy mofo! Some very impressive architecture, especially the arches. I like it a lot. I also see you brought back the teleporters from the Geocomp map.
Ironically, this is a far better suited Geocomp map then what you're actually submission was back in 2006 :)
Congrats!

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 09-03-2022 05:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, I had a bit more time to finish this one :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.