Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Map on the go...Radiant without Quake

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Map on the go...Radiant without Quake

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-05-2005 01:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sometimes I want to map-Wherever Ican.Radiant isn't such a large application that one couldn't installin on a flash drive. But will Radiant even work withut the engine? Say, if I just keep a texture pak or town, place Radiant, should i be able to map without the engine?

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 05-05-2005 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mapping without the game should be possible as long as the textures and models are present i think. But that probably includes pak0 so it will be big again.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-05-2005 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed, almost all the disk usage of q3 is in the assets, the code is only a few megs.

If you have an idea of what assets you will want beforehand, you could include only those. This isn't such a hard thing, if you know what sort of theme you are making beforehand. But disk space is cheap too...

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 05-05-2005 03:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You could resize all the textures in your pak0.pk3 to 1x1x8 ;)

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 05-05-2005 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You don't need pak0.. just quake3.exe and a folder named baseq3

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-05-2005 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only the *.exe? Excellent. I'm not concerned at all with assets. It isn't important to to have pak0 or any textureset, as long as I can use the editor. I can work in caulk and make my own base mobile texture pak specifically for this purpose. The idea is to be able to design a level away from home.

So is there anyway I can download (I'm on campus now) the *.exe file online?

Thnx.

Last edited by quibblerot2 on 05-05-2005 03:48 PM, edited 1 time in total.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 05-05-2005 03:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check your PMs.. ;)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-05-2005 03:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thx Bacon preciate that a bunch.

Got a problem though.

I'm getting an error-At the end of which is "Access Denied". I'm not certain that has anything to do with dependant files that I can't install on the campus system, since I'm installing to my USB drive.

The error is:

Disk<1>
Disk<1>Disk1 Files(1)
C:\Program files\Installshield Information\{Here is where a CLSID would go}\
Access denied

Now I can BEG the "resident" to allow me to load the files at this specific client so I can get Radiant installed,but it isn't likely he'll do it. However I do have this CLSID and I CAN access the registry on the client very easily.

Any clues? Or should I just callit a day?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-05-2005 09:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

radiant needs registry information and i don't think the admin of your campus computers will let you edit the registry. i'm experiencing the same problem right now :D

i can play quake from my usb stick, but i get a msg "the admin can block this application" :(

so i think best is just to get a laptop.

diabolical besier hugger in disguise
diabolical besier hugger in disguise
PostPosted: 05-06-2005 03:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

download q3radiant202, i dont think you'll encounter any register problems, I used to run radiant on a p100.. it could barely run q1 properly ;]

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 05-06-2005 03:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you could square it with the administrator, you could use a couple of batch files to import/delete registry entries.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-09-2005 11:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Edit: I will buy the game and not talk about wares.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-16-2005 10:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got things going. Radiant works just fine as long as you install OFF the LAN first. I went back to campus and ran it-Bingo.

One major obstacle I need help with RIGHT NOW is that the engine won't run. I keep getting an error

Couldn't load default cfg.

Not sure what that means. Help me out here folks.
Thanks. Peace.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-16-2005 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You gotta have all the pakX.pk3 files, or it won't work.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-16-2005 11:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

devmap?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-16-2005 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, a proper install.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-16-2005 11:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay. So ALL of the pak files need to be installed? IN that case I'll never get the engine to run-not from a flash drive, sincve all the paks won't make it. Pak0 is more than 400MB.

If it is possible with pak0 then need I use all of it?

Yes I heard, but I'm hoping there's some way around this...

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-16-2005 01:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess you could delete out all the textures/scripts/models/sprites/sounds etc, but it would totally mess up how quake is viewed.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.