Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        GTKRadiant Gets Drunk...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: GTKRadiant Gets Drunk...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-09-2011 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And does this to my map:

Basically, my map compiles fine - no leaks or other errors. Maybe some "degenerate patch" errors or similar stuff but nothing that`s really harmful. But when I go in game, I noticed the problems above.

The really strange thing is that not all the metal trim textures act like this. The square trim and straight trim in the center behave as if they are non-solid shaders, but the columns the top right arrow points to work fine, although they all use the same texture. All other instances of this texture not shown in the screenshot also work as expected. The affected brushes can be walked through / passed through by both players and weapon projectiles, as the image demonstrates. Note that all other surfaces of the affected brushes use regular textures without any shaders applied. I am using a default gothic metal trim here with no special nonsolid surface parameter shaders. This problem is really bizarre, I wonder if anyone has had this problem before, what caused it, and how they fixed it.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-10-2011 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I must admit that I had higher hopes when I saw this thread.

but as far as your problem I've no idea. never encountered anything like this before.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-10-2011 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haha, I too also had higher hope with that kind of title in the topic.

Seriously, I have no idea what could be causing this, I am too much of a newb with Gtk, I would, at least, try to delete the problematic brush and recreate it from scratch.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-10-2011 08:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wasn't there something strange about brushes taking the wrong surface parameter during a compile if not all the faces shared the same surface type?

What did you apply to the rest of the faces of the trim that aren't visible? For now, make sure the entire trim brush is using that same metal trim texture.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-10-2011 08:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, some surfaceparms affect the entire brush volume as a whole, not just the surface. Conflicting surfaceparms on the same brush will cause the brush to randomly take the properties of one shader over the other.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-10-2011 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have checked all six surfaces on the brushes. They are all normal textures with no special nonsolid shaders, etc. applied to them.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-10-2011 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Delete brush and remake it?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-10-2011 08:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alright, I tried deleting the original brushes and putting new ones in their place. The problem still happens, and strangely enough, all the metal trims in the picture I posted are now affected, before only a few were nonsolid. For who knows what reason, my editor turned some more "innocent" textures nonsolid when I didn't even do anything to them.

If there is one thing I can note - when you pass through the metal trims (noclip or other means) any entities in view will disappear, like items and such, until you move out of it. It`s almost as if they are still blocking visibility even though they are nonsolid. That would be a nightmare for leak detection if it was true...

I`m absolutely baffled as this kind of problem seems to defy technical logic, so I`ll send my .map file for others to check and give feedback on what they find:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27277779/pasdm1_b1.map

Thanks in advance, it is really appreciated.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-10-2011 08:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You have the 'metalsupport4j_trans' texture applied. It's a shader.

textures/gothic_trim/metalsupport4j_trans
{
qer_editorimage textures/gothic_trim/metalsupport4j.tga
surfaceparm nonsolid
{
map $lightmap
rgbGen identity
}
{
map textures/gothic_trim/metalsupport4j.tga
rgbGen identity
blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
}
}

It has a nonsolid surface param so use something else.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, t-junctions, man.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-13-2011 08:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did this fix the problem for you?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 10-13-2011 09:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

make a clean q3 install. could be conflicting shaders.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-13-2011 05:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have fixed it. It works now. :)

Still wondering how I even managed to get the nonsolid texture though by accident... as I always stick to a menu of textures already in my map unless I absolutely need a new one.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.