Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Industrial Texture Pack

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Industrial Texture Pack

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-17-2012 02:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now that I am finished with the Bridge Crane concept map I thought I would release the textures so all of you can go industrial nuts! I also released the PS 5.x source file, so if you want more stuff then you can create your own. The source file probably only works with the latest version of PS so don't moan at me if you can't load it!

http://www.simonoc.com/pages/artwork/tp_industrial.htm

The download files only have high resolution 1024x1024 textures and no Q3 shader file. I think by now most people understand how to create their own and will probably want to re-arrange the textures to suit their own projects anyway. If anyone does create a shader file and want to share, then post a link to this thread. I have posted on my website the size of the files, so don't be surprised if it takes a while to download them. I am sure my ISP is not going to be happy! :D

Here is some texture examples, more on my page:
ImageImage
ImageImage

EDIT : PS 5x Editor file not available anymore and all links updated.

Last edited by sock on 06-19-2016 03:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-17-2012 06:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been waiting for this since I first saw some of the crane level shots :) They turned out outstanding! Excellent work sock.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-17-2012 06:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice. This texture pack is sexy. Downloading the source and base right now :up:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-17-2012 10:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On behalf of everyone, I say thanks for the textures. High-res too.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-18-2012 04:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I enjoyed reading the writeup about your Bridge Crane level; really neat what you did with the fog and the alpha blending.
Btw, what r_speeds are you getting in the crane level?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-18-2012 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Incredible textures pack, thank a lot sock.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-19-2012 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@cityy, the crane map has no optimization, so the rspeeds are crazy (100K+). Lots of stuff could be turned into alpha textures and tons of models could be reduced in detail to make it playable, but the exercise was to see what the textures looked like with a map pushing Q3 to the limits. The map has 5500 Brushes, 390 models and 150 lights. Most stuff is models because of rotation and scale issues with Q3 and the editor.

Here is some links to showtris screens (massive images 2Mb+)
rspeed counters in the corner.

http://www.simonoc.com/images/design/concept/indust_f01wd_wire.jpg
http://www.simonoc.com/images/design/concept/indust_f02wd_wire.jpg

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-19-2012 05:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dear god... haha

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-19-2012 09:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great texture set. Can't wait to use it in a map.

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 03-24-2012 01:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

awesome! good tex's sock. I just started back mapping again and have been looking for a tex set, now I got what I need :D

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-24-2012 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks nice Sock - Thanks for the freebies!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-02-2012 03:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started croping out the individual parts of these textures.
The way they are present in Sock's pack doesn't suit my workflow. And I guess others here have the same problem.
As great as they are, I can't work with them in this state :).

Since I won't have time to continue croping for the whole April, I thought I'd offer my finished stuff so far and ask here if someone has the time and will and software to continue the work.
I kept the individuals in their original state, .tga and size-wise, and sorted them into your classic subfolders, such as _base, _floor, _wall, etc.

This is the stuff so far:

It contains most individuals from and till "metb_grid" in alphabetical order.

I would prefer to sent the pack to some email instead of upping it to a public spot as it is work in progress and the usage of it in a map as is might lead to nameing conflicts in the future.

So, if you are willing to participate, drop me a PM.

Sock is informed about this and gave permission.
If you'd like to join in, I'd very much appreciate it. But respect the source and select/crop/copy+paste with 100% accuracy. There's no such thing as "close enough" in this procedure ;).

EDIT: no need for email adresses anymore. Upped it to a password-protected spot. So still, drop me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited by Ferrao10 on 04-02-2012 08:34 AM, edited 1 time in total.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-02-2012 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice initiative, Ferrao. I won't be participating, because I just don't have the time.

And thanks sock for the excellent textures.
Downloaded, and having a blast playing around in Radiant with them.
You're a fucking wizzard!

Do you have a job in game dev?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-02-2012 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-02-2012 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool.
Envying the skills :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 01:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Back from vacations, still have some days off and got permission to spend some of that time on the project :).

With the sheer amount of textures one can extract from the originals I ran into an "overview-problem". As they are .tgas, windows-explorer won't preview them. Does anyone here know of a nice, little (free) app that can preview .tgas like explorer does with .jpgs? For now I'm directly using radiant to keep the overview but it's slowly reaching the point-of-practicality.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 08:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sage Thumbs: A free program for your thumbnails.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 08:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you, that's perfect.
Never had the need for such a thing, don't even own a camera.
In the meantime I had fun with "metb_light3" ;).

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-10-2012 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And what about these textures? :confused:
http://www.simonoc.com/pages/materials/ ... /index.htm

that would be nice. :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-12-2012 05:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The edited version can be found at:

http://www.mediafire.com/?6tu91eysnr0pdmj

It's meant for old-school mappers like myself and is a break-up into the individual parts of the original pack, sorted in known order like _base, _support, _trim, etc.
I left the resolution as is, so expect large dimensions.

Thanks to Sock for creating these wonderful textures.
Have Fun.

edit: and, no, no shaders. Like with the original, do it yourself.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 07-14-2012 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This might be the push AEcantw2 needs to give it some realism... the four colours might go well with the different four sectors. Downloading...

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 07-14-2012 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This might be the push AEcantw2 needs to give it some realism... the four colours might go well with the different four sectors. Downloading...

Quote:
The edited version can be found at:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6tu91eysnr0pdmj

This is indeed the more "useful" version of the base textures. Alas the other colours (other than yellow) are not part of this pack. I might need to cut up the others (orange, blue, and green) manually. Using the original base names Sock used, adding a number to them as Ferraro10 did. Sorting them into the folders Ferraro10 defined. Hope that is OK with everyone.

No idea when I will get to that, depends on if I use the textures or not.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-15-2012 10:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haven't looked at the textures in detail, but aren't the other colors just recolors of the ones you already have? In that case, it's probably less work to recolor the ones you already have rather than cutting up the source material again.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 07-15-2012 11:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then again I'd prefer to stick with the artists vision :)... and not meddle up the originals trying to dilettantely recolour them. I took a look at the cut up textures... and found the naming a bit strange. Also a few textures were not cut up. I am not sure if the yellow ones were missing, and the other coloured ones had additional images. Will post an example texture and my cut-up suggestion in a while.

Using PS' Slice tool you can cut up textured on a 128 pixel grid pretty easily. Most work is the consistent naming. You have to do it once per texture (all 3 other colours use the same slicing).

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-28-2014 06:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

would anyone who has the source files for this texture set be able to send them to me? unfortunately the original download link is broken and sock does not have them anymore.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 12-29-2014 01:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got them but would rather get them to sock so he can put them back up. Not especially comfortable in principle just making them available because I can (ooo principles!)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 12-29-2014 02:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat wrote:
I've got them but would rather get them to sock so he can put them back up. Not especially comfortable in principle just making them available because I can (ooo principles!)

I don't have the space on my FTP server for this file and I recently lost all of my website source files in a HD crash, so please share the file if you have space.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 12-29-2014 04:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, I have space if these files needs hosting.
I don't have any principle issues with hosting others files =)

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-29-2014 05:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 12-29-2014 05:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doesn't work =(

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-29-2014 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So have all the textures cut apart, to let me bring down the file size later in the pk3...

Question: Since the textures are 1024x1024 pixel in size (the largest ones)... I need to set the default texture scale in GTKradiant from .5 to .125, right? Never used such high-res textures before... so this is all new.

Thus a 1024x1024 pixel texture will fill a 128ux128u brush. I thinnest texture stripes end up being 4u, strangely... though they feel like they should be 8u... but I may just be confusing this.

Thanks...

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-29-2014 10:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sock,
this will sound ungrateful, especially since you lost the texture source for these textures.

But I am trying to avoid the colour scheme Pat is using and I noted that there is a yellow base crete texture, and also the pipe ones are yellow, and the hazard stripes, and on the crates... and these are quite fundamental to set a colour tone (other than using your already existing coloured metal textures).

Would there be any chance of you creating an orange version (that I would use) of these "base" textures?

I might be able to do it myself, but I do fear these "attempts" will look less than good. So before I mess them up, I am asking.

Thank you.

Solved: PS's Hue/Saturation slider, Hue to -20 turned the yellow parts of the textures to orange. Should be a very close match. Hopefully that was indeed the correct setting. As suspected messes the crate and pipe background texture up, i.e. base texture backgrounds. Fine for crete. Fixed... used Magic Wand Tool to limit area.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 12-30-2014 05:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought no one was interested in these textures, after years of minimal downloads and no one making anything from them I had more or less given up. Got to say I did find the old school label for the texture set insulting considering they are mostly photo sourced images by myself and the hand drawn stuff is minimal. These textures can easily look convincing and good for industrial environments, just remember to use real world structural scales and prefabs.

AEon wrote:
Since the textures are 1024x1024 pixel in size (the largest ones)... I need to set the default texture scale in GTKradiant from .5 to .125, right? Never used such high-res textures before... so this is all new.

Thus a 1024x1024 pixel texture will fill a 128ux128u brush. I thinnest texture stripes end up being 4u, strangely... though they feel like they should be 8u... but I may just be confusing this.

There is a much easier way to deal with HD textures, I highly recommend to check out the shader files used in Map on the Edge of Forever. All the texture scaling and tweaking is done completely with shaders so that the map does not need to be constantly re-compiling all the time.

First setup the HD textures in a separate directory, then create scaled down (paint package required) versions of all the textures you want to use. Save these in the base texture directory you want to setup. Then create a shader file which references all the scaled down textures and points to the HD versions. The scaled down versions are purely editor only so it does not matter what quality they are.

Once the map is compiled, check out the HD textures in game (loaded via shader) and distribute the HD textures only with your final zip file. The engine does all the heavy lifting with scaling textures for you and the editor works as before using the 0.5 scaling.

Example shader using HD reference:
Code:
// ----------------------------------------------------------------------
textures/moteof/floor_steptop1
{
   qer_editorimage textures/moteof/floor_steptop1.tga
   {
      map $lightmap
      rgbGen identity
   }
   {
      map textures/moteof/hd_floor_steptop1.tga
      blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
   }
}

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 12-30-2014 05:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sock wrote:
I thought no one was interested in these textures, after years of minimal downloads and no one making anything from them I had more or less given up. Got to say I did find the old school label for the texture set insulting considering they are mostly photo sourced images by myself and the hand drawn stuff is minimal. These textures can easily look convincing and good for industrial environments, just remember to use real world structural scales and prefabs.

I'd say what made those screens looked oldschool was the way the textures were used, and not the textures themselves. The bridgecrane map is one of the best looking maps I've seen in Quake 3. :)

Hi btw!

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-30-2014 06:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sock,
thanks for the detailed tips. You may have done a too good job using your textures, since it leaves little for us "commoners" to "improve" on their usage in a map... :). That might have been humbling.

I did the scaling down for the editor textures for Reflex... there they also use 1024x1024 ones... and the scaled down ones in-Radiant, are easily enough as preview. I will need to try a few compile tests to see if I can use the nice hires textures directly in the editor or if I really need to go your suggested path via shaders. I sorted your textures into:

Code:
industrial_crate
industrial_floor
industrial_girder
industrial_glass
industrial_grid
industrial_light
industrial_mach
industrial_panel
industrial_pipe
industrial_seam
industrial_triangle
industrial_wall

under textures\... this works well for the editor, letting me "pre-sort" them. Alas texture sub-folders do not seem to work in Radiant, i.e. "textures\aeindus\industrial_*\". So I am still trying to figure out how to place the textures... easiest would be to put all your textures into one folder, i.e. "textures\aeindus\"... the way .pk3 always do it. But then the "nice" sorting of the textures is gone. Use of the Radiant texture name filter might be the way.

BTW... most of the cropped textures are now in PNG format. Is that an issue for the editor or the game?

Quote:
First setup the HD textures in a separate directory, then create scaled down (paint package required) versions of all the textures you want to use.

So the 1024x1024 end up as 256x256, so the down-scale is 1/4, correct?

Hopefully, I will soon be able to create something of interest...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.