Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Lightwave weight/color maps and q3map2?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Lightwave weight/color maps and q3map2?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-10-2005 10:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does anybody know if its possible to get Vertex weight- and/or color maps exported from lightwave into q3map2? i tried it like it should work on d3 (d3w.org post) but it seems to get ignored, whatever i do.

didnt RR2DO2 develop the lwo support? how can i contact him?

is it possible using ase and 3dmax? if yes, how do you do it in that package?

thanks alot!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-10-2005 11:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

3dsMAX has a vertex paint modifier. Selecting it should open up a new toolbar panel with some tools that you can use to paint on your model in real-time.

ASE models support vertex colours, just make sure that you select the option in the export dialog.

Curious, what are you trying to do exactly? Trying to paint shadows on your model or some sort of wacky terrain blending method?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-10-2005 05:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Im trying some wacky terrain blending method :) it would be _much_ more comfortable to be able to paint in lw.

im using a two (+lightmap) stage shader: one stage without blend and the other one using alphagen vertex, just like the alphamod blending shaders do. there's no alphamod_set and i tried both having alphamod_volume and not having it. if i do blends manually in gtkr via alphaset brushes everything works like a charm :tear:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-10-2005 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure (someone might want to confirm this) but I don't think Q3Map2 can read the LWO or ASE file and look for vertex colour information. It can only read the vertex alpha info set by alphaMod_volume brushes.

Again, might want to confirm this, but it would explain why it's not doing what you want it to do.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-10-2005 06:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh, fast answer. why wouldnt q3map2 do that? it'd be pretty handy.

also, i just noticed by accident that if I cancel the -light process, in r_vertexlight 1 all the vertices are painted like they are in lightwave's color map. so it looks like q3map2 can at least preserve the vertex values.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-10-2005 08:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Funny enough, there's no *direct* support for it i.e. it's not a diliberate feature that's supported.

I found out by accident that vertex colours are carried through into ASE meshes at least. I coloured a terrain mesh purple and forgot to change it when exporting from Max. The texture sat on top of the mesh was grey but when the mesh was compiled and into game it had a purply colour to it instead of being grey.

I don't think you can do that Doom 3 type of blending as it relies on the shaders understanding what it's supposed to do with the vertex colours. Q3map2 preserves the colour as a side effect rather than by design from what I've seen.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-10-2005 10:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is, but I forget what I called it. Something like q3map_preserveVertexLight or something. You'll need to set your shaders up to use rgbGen vertex/exactVertex to use.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-11-2005 05:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ydnar wrote:
There is, but I forget what I called it. Something like q3map_preserveVertexLight or something. You'll need to set your shaders up to use rgbGen vertex/exactVertex to use.

Hmmm, interesting. But will Megaman be able to assign a texture stage to a vertex colour?

BTW, where's the q3map2 source (I forgot the url). I'd like to go through it again and see if I can find any other forgotten shader directives.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-11-2005 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ydnar wrote:
To echo Obsidian "Hmmm, interesting".

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-12-2005 02:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ydnar: is there a way to use the imported color values for alpha blending texture stages? does it sound like much work to make q3map2 not ignore the values passed in by q3map2 and convert them to vertex alpha values?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.