Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Brushes Disappearing In Game

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Brushes Disappearing In Game

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-15-2012 07:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello!

First off, I'm mapping in Jedi Academy with GTKRadiant 1.5 on Windows 7 64 bit, if this isn't the best place to ask this, let me know! =)

I'm having an issue where a brush that I made isn't showing up in game but is showing up in the editor. Instead, it's showing up as void.

-The brush is structural.
-Changing the texture doesn't do anything.
-Copy/pasting the brush and changing the textures seems to make it reappear, but then moving it back into place makes it disappear again.
-Moving the whole area of brushes doesn't do anything.
-Changing the texture doesn't do anything.

Let me know if you have any ideas!

TwinHits

Last edited by AEon on 08-15-2012 11:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed images to use lvlshot, less wide!

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-15-2012 11:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You are referring to a brush on the right side of the the crosshair? Outlining it in-game (paint program) would help see it better.

Recently this problem also occurred. If you are lucky it has to do with a duplicate brush at the very same location. Requiring to delete that duplicate. Problem seems to be that v1.5 of radiant does not let you easily find them. But try selecting the brush, in the editor, then move it to one side, to check that there is not another one still in its place.

In Radiant v1.4 you can paint select brushes via shift-LMB-drag, duplicate brushes then show up in a darker red.

Update: Another closer look reveals that the above the gap in the wall, where a brush should be, there is a striped brush structure that is *totally* messed up. I'd suggest you mark all the good brushes in that area, hide them, then do a select complete tall, to make sure you select all of the broken brush(es) in that area and delete them. Then rebuild the deleted brushes.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-16-2012 04:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's no duplicate brushes in that spot, but I will try recreating the brush.

It's actually two missing brushes, one is a section of the black stripe, the other is that messed up brush that goes up.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-16-2012 07:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If it's not a duplicate brush, check these other things:

• Brush vertexes are all on grid.
  • Put caulk on all coplanar/hidden faces.
  • You're probably better off making those brushes detail and adding a structural caulk brush behind the wall to seal from void.
  • Any possible hint brushes that might be intersecting that wall in an odd way.
  • Try running brush cleanup.

Additionally, it's best to create the wall section with an inverted cap patch mesh similar to how one would make arched doorways. Brushes really do a bad job with T-juncs, LoD issues, etc. when used in such a way when intersecting with the arched patchmesh. See here:

viewtopic.php?p=911802#p911802

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.