Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Some Questions about GTKRadiant and Map editing.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Some Questions about GTKRadiant and Map editing.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-29-2013 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi, I work with unity. GTKRadiant looks like a perfect mapping program to use in my projects. I read that you can export a map to obj, which is what I need to get it into unity. Some questions though.

1: Which GTKRadiant version should I use to get my maps into blender then unity (The most bug free version and easiest to export obj)? I tried using 1.5 with HL1 loaded but for some reason it won't subtract or hollow brushes correctly. When I subtract the brush just disappears, same with hollow.

2: Do I have to load a game to map? The only one I own on the list is HL1. The Quakes are on steam sale atm, I could buy those. But my main purpose of using GTKRadiant is to export to unity. I'd rather just use no game and load in my own textures. How do you load GTK1.3 - 1.5 with no game selected?

3: How does the brush export to obj work. Can I just make a full map and select all the brushes and they will be exported to obj, which I can load in blender?

Thanks in advance.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-29-2013 06:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The current version of GtkRadiant is 1.6.4. It is the only actively developed version and the only one where you will get "official" support, though there are those who prefer the older versions based on some personal preference and the selection of supported games.

id Tech engines by nature use an additive building method - meaning that all brushes must be convex volumes and you add brushes together to form other shapes. Because of this reason, subtracted or hollowed brushes don't turn out so well (too complex and it may create an invalid brush and disappear or cause other issues), you're better off creating the shape using multiple brushes.

GtkRadiant does require a game for it to work. GtkRadiant 1.6.4 supports a number of free-to-play games like Quake Live, Urban Terror, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, and Quake2World (though you're missing out if you have never played any of the Quake games).

GtkRadiant 1.6.4 currently does not export to .obj, but it does do .ase via the BSP menu. You should then be able to import into Blender using a plugin. GtkRadiant 1.5 DOES have a plugin to export to .obj, but you may have issues with support for any of the free-to-play games listed above. The map files should be compatible so you should be able to open a map created in 1.6.4 with 1.5 and export that way.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-30-2013 01:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok thanks for all the info! I've decided to use the latest version seems less bug prone. One question though, in 1.5 you could change the keys in your APP data folder, where can I change the keys for the latest version, it didn't install it just extracted? I really want to change the camera movement keys to like WSAD already did it in the 1.5 version.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-30-2013 07:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You won't be able to, not yet anyway.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-30-2013 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1.5 let you use WASD?!?!?!?

How does NetRadiant not have that feature? What is wrong with this world?

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-31-2013 01:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cj31387 wrote:
Ok thanks for all the info! I've decided to use the latest version seems less bug prone. One question though, in 1.5 you could change the keys in your APP data folder, where can I change the keys for the latest version, it didn't install it just extracted? I really want to change the camera movement keys to like WSAD already did it in the 1.5 version.

WSAD... someone after my heart been asking for this for a long time. Trouble is it was possible "of sorts" with the older versions of GTKradiant, but it was buggy, so not really usable (the key rebinding that is).

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.