Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        GtkRadiant and QL [ How to make a window? ]

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: GtkRadiant and QL [ How to make a window? ]

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-07-2013 05:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Convert the wavs using free:ac. If i remember correctly, it needs to be set somewhere around 45kbps ABR (check the encoder settings).

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 06-07-2013 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman Thanks! - The sound now works using free:ac - wav works fine, ogg not working.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-07-2013 08:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Strange is ID software uses OGG vorbis in Quake Live packs, back-support for WAV files is limited, but in source map files you can find the WAV variant of the name, but used format is OGG.

I'm not sure GTK Radiant supports OGG, but it's good to have two versions for your map: testing version with both OGG and WAV and release version with only OGG. WolfCam doesn't support OGG files? O.o That's strange, it's just an edition of Quake Live engine for offline use with special tools to creating nice fragmovies. Looks like there's something wrong.

As to the conversion: I always use Audacity as there are some basic editing options to go around and fit the sound to your needs...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-07-2013 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just as shaders will always look for .tga files first and then fall back to .jpg, I believe QL looks for .ogg first and falls back to .wav.

Can anyone else confirm that you can't add .ogg files into GtkRadiant? It may be an issue that needs to be fixed as QL support is still rather new.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-07-2013 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fox, well as long as it works then hey why not, but OGG is still a superior format over WAV.

Are you sure you used the program correctly? Go Options >> General Settings >> Encoder >> Ogg Vorbis Encoder v1.2.0, then click config encoder and set ABR and 45kbps.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-07-2013 09:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

Can anyone else confirm that you can't add .ogg files into GtkRadiant? It may be an issue that needs to be fixed as QL support is still rather new.

What do you mean "add"? It's a simple textual reference to a sound file...? (the "noise" key on target_speaker I mean)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-07-2013 09:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm concerned that the file browser dialog may only let you choose a file with a .wav extension.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-07-2013 10:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It does seem to only let you choose .wav files if you use the file browser dialog. I never noticed before when converting maps to ql because i would just replace the files rather than edit the .map and recompile.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 06-08-2013 01:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman - The sound ogg can be listen now with ABR and 45kbps.
With wolfcamql any type of sound cannot be heard ( neither wav or ogg )
But, I packed my map into a PK3 file with folders, sounds and textures and I tested my map into QuakeLive and the sound in format ogg can be listen.
And another thing, I needed to delete a channel to make a mono file using free app Audacity.
I confirm this: file browser dialog may only let you choose a file with a .wav extension. I had to write manually filename.ogg
I apologize that I bothered you with these weird problems. Some procedures are too complicated. Finally, All's Well That Ends Well!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-08-2013 06:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@KillerFox: No need to delete a channel for conversion of stereo to mono, Audacity 2 has built in function for mixing both channels of stereo sound to one mono channel, so you can keep most of the quality, only the effect will miss, but it's the price of using sound in such things as Quake maps...
Also, you can safely write the extension for wav, engine will look for both formats and play the included ogg file. I noticed this when I was exploring maps from Quake Live in Radiant. Looked to one target_speaker's settings and saw wav format variant. Looks like ID Software boyz were too lazy for repairing format issues or Quake Live BETA still supported WAV files as alternative format...

I'm surprised wolfcam has discarded both formats... What about default sounds packed in pakxx.pk3? (xx = 2-numeral number ranged from 00 to 50 usualy) Do you hear firing rocket or slugs for example?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 06-08-2013 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost - Recently i discovered into Audacity: Tracks -> Stereo Track to Mono then I convert this wav to ogg with fre:ac
About wolfcam: All sounds are heard, for example, QuakeLive maps.
Even if I tried to load the map from PK3, no sound from target_speaker, but into QuakeLive sound works.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-08-2013 07:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@KillerFox: About Audacity → It supports also OGG files, no need to use external conversion tool, just export the sound twice (one for WAV 16bit 22kHz PCM and the second for OGG 45kbps 22kHz ABR). Of course, I always use Audacity for conversion as sometimes it's important to increase or decrease overall volume, or equalize the sound for examples...

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 06-09-2013 03:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost - I own Audacity 2.0.3 and there is no option 45kbps 22kHz ABR.

Here's a screenshot:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-09-2013 03:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe it's an issue it may be reported in Audacity forums...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.