Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        asking for some guidelines

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: asking for some guidelines

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-04-2013 04:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

a few months back i was here as well,
i have made quite bunch of maps with the tutorials provided by everyone here,
however, recently i have had some problems in my life, which drastically slowed down my building.

now, with a little bit of practice i feel that i can make a whole map.

However, as this will be my first map i would kindly ask you to provide me with some guide lines.

the idea is a map called penance, setting will be medieval and magical. maybe even demonic.

for this map i need a few things answered, maybe a few tips 'n tricks or guidelines.

Can i build a map for Q3 and play it in QL? I mean, are the models the same height and such?
(i know, Q3 doesn't support .PNG images, G_Gravity is different and the .bsp / .map / .Pk3 files are different, i know of all those problems)

1] how big is a Q3/QL model (Height, Length Width)?
2] How high does a model jump?
3] how high is the step height?
4] how high is a model when crouched?
5] how big should an arch/door be?
6] Can i make a sphere teleport? can i make a moving surface for a sphere? see picture below for what i mean.
(I can make a sphere, and then place a square teleport box around it, i know)

I thank you in advance, i know i can ask some stupid questions and google is my friend.
but you guys are way nicer than google is ;-)

Also, feel free to leave suggestions, tips, tricks and what not ;-)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-04-2013 07:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From the GtkRadiant Manual - note these are for Q3, QL has some minor changes:
http://icculus.org/gtkradiant/documenta ... appn_c.htm
Quote:
Step Heights
For scale purposes, "normal" steps should be no higher than 8 units. However, the maximum value that a player may step up is 18 units (just keep steps 16 units or lower).

Normal Jumps
The maximum height for barriers the bots will jump on is 32 units.

Water Jump Heights (or "Everyone, out of the pool!")
The maximum distance that a bot may jump to exit water is 18 units. This is the height difference between the water surface and the adjacent floor that the bot is jumping onto. If the water jump height is made higher, human players will have a hard time getting out of the water.

Rocket Jumps
With normal gravity and without the quad, the maximum rocket jump height is around 280 units (you can sometimes jump a few units higher but this is a safe value for reference). In practice, except for especially tricky jumps, this value should be substantially lower. Test rocket jumps repeatedly before settling on a final height.

Math for Map Makers
Here's some math to calculate some other values of interest:

Gravity = 800;
Jump velocity = 270;
Max vertical rocketjump velocity = 670;
Max run velocity = 320;
Max step height = 18;
Max jump height = 0.5 * gravity * (jumpvelocity/gravity)*(jumpvelocity/gravity);
Max normal jump height = 45 units
NOTE: even though this is the mathematical maximum jump height always keep the the 32 units maximum barrier height for bots in mind when building maps.
Maximum horizontal jump distance over a gap from one spot to another when both are at the same height:

t = sqrt((maxjumpheight + maxstep) / (0.5 * gravity));
t = 0.3986 seconds;
dist = maxrunvelocity * (t + jumpvelocity / gravity);
dist = 235 units;

Because players use a bounding box we can jump a full bounding box width further in the ideal case. (15 units at the jump starting position and 15 at the landing place).

235 + 15 + 15 = 265 units.

Again, remember that this is the mathematical maximum which players can only reach under ideal circumstances.

Additional notes:
The player models don't have consistent dimensions, though they do fit more or less into the box of an info_player entity (56, 32, 32 game units). Crash for example, is significantly smaller than Tank Jr. The actual hit box is the size of the info_player entity, I believe QL uses octogonal hitboxes.

The max height is rather subjective, it depends on all sorts of factors like player velocity, fps, and other things.

Q3 18, QL 22(?). Though those are maximums, you are best off sticking to 8-16 for visual appearance and then putting a diagonal playerclip over them.

Doors:
As big or small as you need them to be. Most Q3 doorways aren't smaller than 128x128.

Sphere teleporter:
The trigger is just a normal brush, so it can take any shape that a normal brush can. It's not necessary to make it an actual sphere though, just like how the Q3 player hitbox doesn't need to perfectly represent the model, it's just a very simple box. I would just stick an eight sided cylinder in the sphere as a trigger.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 06-04-2013 09:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The step height in QL is 21 units and rocket pushback is slighlty higher. Though I don't know the exact RJ height in QL.
g_gravity is the same btw.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-06-2013 02:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i thought the gravity was different,
thought i read it when discussing Q3 defrag maps for QL.

anyways, thanks for the help guys.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.