Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        GTKR Texture shift/placement issues

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: GTKR Texture shift/placement issues

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-28-2014 10:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, I was recently in Radiant's IRC asking for help on this, but ran into a roadblock because of pics. I decided it'd be far easier to just get help through here posting the screencaps of the issue.

If this looks like an ugly map, take note that this is very early on and I noticed the issue that fast; detail is important to me.

This is how it's supposed to look: the big steel plating at the top, meant to be a platform.

This is how it looks ingame regardless of what BSP I use:

I've been using GtkRadiant for a very long time now (though I had a long hiatus) and this has never happened to me, the textures always looked the way I wanted them to. Admittedly however, I recently made a VERY big leap from Windows XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit, if that possibly could mean anything.

I'm using the latest stable version I could find as well, and haven't tweaked too much of the options other than the layout. What's going on here?

Any other bits of information you might need, just let me know. I don't think something like my amount of RAM or current CPU would matter much at the moment.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 04-28-2014 11:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you have map and compiled bsp for d/l.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-29-2014 01:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theftbot wrote:
Do you have map and compiled bsp for d/l.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gpqwpsdylb9f ... n%20map.7z

I guess it won't hurt to see if it's just the map itself.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-29-2014 06:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why don't your textures look anything like the ones that come with the game? Are they different resolutions? I opened up your map in GtkRadiant and the textures were aligned exactly as they are in the in-game screenshot. It must have something to do with your non-kosher textures interferring with default textures.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 04-29-2014 12:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doesn't the game have a problem if you use textures that don't have an even size resolution? Like say 512x511, or 320x97 etc. That's all I can think of that you could check.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-29-2014 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bacon wrote:
Doesn't the game have a problem if you use textures that don't have an even size resolution? Like say 512x511, or 320x97 etc. That's all I can think of that you could check.

Pretty much all games have a problem with textures with non-power-of-2 dimensions... reason being how textures are stored in GPU memory. Textures of weird sizes will still work, but are scaled down(?) to the nearest power-of-2 dimension, and will therefore look like pixellated crap.

My guess is that he has higher resolution replacement textures for basic Q3 textures. So the texture coordinates are based on the original dimensions, the actual textures displayed are the high resolution ones, therefore the mismatch. None of the texture scales between his two screenshots match.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 04-29-2014 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Bacon wrote:

Pretty much all games have a problem with textures with non-power-of-2 dimensions... reason being how textures are stored in GPU memory. Textures of weird sizes will still work, but are scaled down(?) to the nearest power-of-2 dimension, and will therefore look like pixellated crap.

My guess is that he has higher resolution replacement textures for basic Q3 textures. So the texture coordinates are based on the original dimensions, the actual textures displayed are the high resolution ones, therefore the mismatch. None of the texture scales between his two screenshots match.

That makes much more sense. So basically he has a pk3 that's loading after pak0 with high res textures, named the same as the ones in pak0?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 04-29-2014 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hes using the 2x res q3 gpl texture set!

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-29-2014 06:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theftbot wrote:
Hes using the 2x res q3 gpl texture set!

EDIT: Turns out I was using Kpax's hi-res textures and it was the source of the problem. Tested and it works fine now. Sad, because I like high res things.

Really now? If so, I had no idea. It's been a while since I played Q3A; mostly just wasting time with Payday 2. I'll check this.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 04-29-2014 09:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you can still use them-though you have to make new shaders w/different names!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.