Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        patches warp/stretch textures

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: patches warp/stretch textures

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-10-2014 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm sure this has been discussed before, but i did a quick search and couldn't find any posts. when i make dome-shaped structures out of bevel patches my textures always get warped, like above. when i try cycling through all the texturing options, they are all warped in different ways. does anyone know how to solve this? a step-by-step answer would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
pat

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 11-10-2014 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At world origin (0,0,0) place a 128X128 brush(128X128X8) and place texture/shader on it w/axial in surf prop. Then lay patch out above brush like you would uv a mesh then cap the bezier until it matches brush texture, then bend it however you want too!
--edit as for your pic you might want to use 8 seperate 3X3 patches

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 09:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was going to suggest ase the geometry. Then re UV the texture in Blender, or what ever modelling app you use.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 08:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In good old Q3Radiant202 there is a (patch) texture tool plugin:

You can set the vertices exactly by pixel. And/or clone textures from a patch onto another.

If you don't have this great plugin, you can do it this way:

1 create a flat version of a single side of your dome
2 set texture as cap (maybe hit CTRL+SHIFT+N until the right projection direction appears)
3 bend your patch
4 make a copy and rotate your patch by 45°
5 in vertices mode, hit CTRL+G to snap vertices back to grid
6 rearrange your vertices

Last edited by AEon on 11-17-2014 09:27 AM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: lvlshot'ed the images

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-10-2014 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks guys!

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 12-16-2014 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That bezier patch mesh UV map adjustment tool was so useful, and unfortunately didn't return in later variations of Radiant. :(
Need better tool support for such patch meshes... hmpf.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-17-2014 12:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree. I did not ever work with q3radiant, but this tool seems to be useful

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com