Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-20-2009 07:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aussenposten 08 for Quake 3 Arena. Coming soon. Probably. Or similar. That doesn't make sense. Right.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-20-2009 08:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ Rocks!

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-21-2009 02:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That really does look nice mate, well done. If anything, I have to nit pick those lights, I can't seem to make sense of them? It almost looks like your trying to do some kind of fake lens flare effect, but its just not working for me...? The rest of the level really looks great, good lighting, structure and texturing.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-21-2009 02:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cheers!

Yes, there are Quake 3 style fake lens flare sprites on the lights.
I actaullay really like them and it looks way better with them in
game than without them. Also, in vertex light mode, you won't
see them. So all the lego-quakers (like me sometimes) won't get
distracted ;)

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 02-21-2009 06:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This looks interesting, I'll comment more 'bout it when you post the entire level.

Looking at the first shot, all the flares from the lamps, looks like the bubbles in Mega Man 2's underwater stage =)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-22-2009 12:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, that really does look nice T_Creutzenberg, I thought it was Quake 4 at first glance. I'll reserve judgment on the lights until I see it in-game, but they do look a little odd in the screenshots.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 02-23-2009 01:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Just a little tease... These are some WIP shots of RtCW's mp_beach "Beach Assault" thats being remade. As you can see, there isn't any detail added, no real decals, the outdoor lighting isnt there, the terrain is missing, all sorts of things... But hey, WIP media is WIP media! :p

I know it WIP, and I know is at night, but I find it a little too dark. Besides that, it's looking promising.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-23-2009 02:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its brighter than the original. NO DEAL :p

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-23-2009 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium, a little too many red lights on the antenna, IMO, draws your eye to it too strongly to it that I tend to ignore everything else.

Maybe add some broken bricks or broken concrete with bits of wire sticking out on the front of the bunker, make it look as if it's been shelled and battle-worn.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-23-2009 12:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i agree with obsidian

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 12:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like I'll be making them fewer and smaller :p

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 07:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 07:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking sweet, o'dium, although I don't really see the purpose of those 'better grip ribs'.
Not like you're gonna lose your grip on a smoke grenade.
But I'll stop with the functionality criticism, it's getting tired already; sometimes you just want to add polies to make things look more interesting :p

btw, what app do you use for modeling?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 07:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, you can really get too caried away with making things work sometimes. Sometimes its nice to just add something because it looks good lol.

Oh, Max btw.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 07:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool, thanks (I'm learning blender, btw. For a 9 meg app it's damn versatile).
Hope to see a playable version of your mod soon :up:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 11:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any of you use zBrush?

I've been toying with it a bit. With a decent tablet this thing seems like it could be the dog's balls. I get tired of the clinical nature of max. Going more towards modelling a ball of clay is far more natural for me and a far better way of expressing creativity, rather than endlessly adding modifiers and arduously pulling vertices about. At least for organic shapes, I'm guessing it's a lot harder for stuff like o'dium's grenade there.

I've been talking to the CNC operater at one of the places I've been working, he said he could cut me some small models out of some spare blocks of modelboard if I give him the file in 3ds. I'm thinking I might fuck max off and use zBrush to make it, especially if this could turn into a fruitful career path. I'd rather use a fluid program with what seems like less confines than max, which I've always found constricting.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can't AFAIK, cut a base modeling app like Max/Maya totaly out of the development cycle, atleast not if you're making models for ingame assets...

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 12:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not really the best way to go. Possible, yes, but Max etc are best at what they do for a reason. You wouldn't make a high poly sculpt of a mans face with stubble in Max, same way its not wise to make the low poly head in zBrush.

Its possible both ways, but not worth the effort because its much harder.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 02:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mm I thought as much, but for what I'm going to use it for, I think it'll be quicker to use zBrush to achieve the desired result, simply because it seems like a more creative medium. I'll post some results here. Looking around online, I think a good way to go is to block out an extremely low poly shape in max, and use that as a base to create higher detail in zbrush.

Any input into what I should model as a portfolio piece? I'm thinking about doing a bust of my girlfriend or my dad. (ie something that I can prove I have made, rather than something I could potentially have downloaded from the internet). I could do a 'creature' but stuff like that always seems like a bit of a cop out to avoid getting proportions anatomically correct. Maybe I'll do both.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-24-2009 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're looking at using zB *literally* as a digital sculpting tool then yes? If you're doing that you need to approach it from the same point of view as a real clay sculptor so look at books and resources on clay modelling and so on; as you pointed out, it's more about expression than accuracy when you're doing that.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-25-2009 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm a sculptor irl, which is why zbrush is making me warm inside :), it's potentially a truely digital way of working to create an object in real life. I enjoy sculpting and scrape a living together doing it, but there are too many people out there who are better and more experience at it than I am so they get more of the nice work, and all I end up doing is making moulds and cleaning their work up.

If I can put myself at the forefront of new technogoly then I can fuck grinding fibreglass off and the world will be my oyster.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Post more screenshots. I enjoy reading this thread.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 02-26-2009 04:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those griphandlers on the smokegrenade makes sense to me. If there's something you don't wanna drop at your feet, it's a smokegrenade. Rainy days and gloves can make stuff slimey. :p
The ones I used during my time in the military had a teargas-effect aswell, just milder. (Which is common)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-26-2009 06:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You say the grips don't make much sense but totally ignore the button/pull tab/release catch :D

lol :P

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 03-02-2009 06:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*bump*

Alpha stage right now. Only need to fix some lightmap errors, odd texture alignments, go over clipping and some other small stuff.
Only custom textures.

I think I hurt my eyes doing this level, when I go back and look at History and Industrial, they both look so insanely gray. I though they looked pretty warm when I did them...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-02-2009 07:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pure sex.

I love the look of this level Hipshot. I'll definitely be downloading this one when you throw it up for beta :)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-02-2009 10:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Oh, Max btw.

Max and *.md5? Which exporter are you using?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-03-2009 12:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are two, I think I'm using Dertons?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-03-2009 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You ridiculously talented bastard you Hipshot. =) Looks great. There are far too few DM levels that use colours or even explore a more subtle colour palette at all.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-03-2009 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
There are two, I think I'm using Dertons?

Hrm, interesting. I was having issues with both, especially in regards to animation. You've obviously overcome these obstacles via your showcasing, do you have a link on the Overdose site talking about the pipeline between MAX and MD5 using the script for your artists?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-04-2009 12:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What issues were you having? If its regards to rigging, I think we had to make an origin bone first otherwise the results would be really strange. I never did animations myself.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-04-2009 09:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
What issues were you having? If its regards to rigging, I think we had to make an origin bone first otherwise the results would be really strange. I never did animations myself.

Thanks for being open to offer your assistance. I haven't touched the conversion in a bit, I'll try and get to it this week and report back the problem that I've been having. I've switched over to IDTECH4 for my castle map and building the cliffs and terrian in max, rather than brushes like I was doing in Q3.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-04-2009 11:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Remember that you can use Rad to export your brush work to a .obj file, and that will be MUCH easier to get correct scales/positions etc ;)

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 03-04-2009 03:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Simply amazing Hipshot.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 03-05-2009 03:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot made me re-install Q3.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-05-2009 03:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finished detailing all major rooms, some of the connections are left. Strictly following the layout ;-). The Andromeda texture set is VERY monotonous, need to do something about that -- geometry is already pretty varied throughout the map, but colors will need some work. More Shots: http://www.haukerehfeld.de/blog/2009-03 ... -detailing

Hipshot: Your use of textures and the texture set is great. I need to take a good look at that. Geometry could use a bit more detail? And those archways look so b-spline-quake3-tastic :P

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.