Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 07-18-2005 02:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scroth ye' sexy beast :drool:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-18-2005 02:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaziganthe, could you bea dear and tell me how you did that grass in the pic above? It doesn't look to bad and i've yet to decide on a decent way fo doing it. TIA! :p

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 07-18-2005 02:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That chain is missing something o'dium.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-18-2005 03:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its possible its just the light source. That ourdoor part only has one light and its a temp light with temp direction and brightness because the outdoor section isn't done yet.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 07-18-2005 11:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium:

http://www.quake2evolved.com/odium/q2e_lightswip_2.jpg

You need more distractions in the parts of the wall that are intruded. Pipes, wires, trim details, models like fire extinguishers and little cabinets. The corner in that image would be a perfect place for a fire extinguisher, an exit sign with an arrow, and a few generic warning signs. Also consider logo/faction placement. These are stupid tricks, but they help break up the area. The inset walls are the real issue in that particular shot, though.

The general rule of thumb in next-gen environments when dealing with quadrilateral structures and hallways is to flood it with extra polygonal detail, usually in the form of what I stated above.

Otherwise, it looks a little too plain. (Or to make a pun, plane.)

Broaden your color variance. Use some classic military colors, such as gunship gray. Use the Testors website to look at different shades of military paint schemes.

If I'm bugged enough, I might make a Photoshop swatch .ACO set.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 12:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is quake 2, not doom3. It is a frag arena, not a single player mod. In a frag arena you don't want to put out fires and there are no exits. I hate how next gen game are always associated with realistic environments.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 03:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rep seems to be forgetting this is a Quake 2 map with a Quake 2 theme. I dont remember lockers and fire extinguishers on an alien Planet called "stroggos".

Also, FYI, this is the level of detail i have to "beat", not Doom 3's:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 06:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A few strogg logos on those walls and a bunch of crates or something wouldn't hurt tbh.
rep does have a point when he says you could add some additional detail. I don't agree with the idea of a fireextinguisher either, but something else (maybe a computer console or a small ventilation shaft exit with a fan embedded in it somewhere wouldn't hurt.

edit:
not that the detail level isn't impressive for Quake 2, but they're just a few helpful hints. I am impressed by your screenshots.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 06:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh yeah, and for some added humour, make it look like something heavy fell on the floor at the bottom of these stairs and add some blood ;)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 06:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Strogging it up, there are a few logos outside but yes i'll try and add a few more logos about the place.

The fan idea may work, i did have one in here before but took it out in place of the remove panel with red light and wires.

I would like more consoles in there, i may try and add a few.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 06:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmmm what kind of things would Stroggos have just about the place, apart from wires etc ?

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 12:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Crates.

(JK, true though, I don't think there's a single ID map without a crate(hardly any custom ones either :D)

Something cool might be loose/fallen plating with dirt/rock/wiring/concrete behind.

I remember some computer consoles from quake 2, perhaps work in a few of those? Or at least monitors showing what's up with the next freight order or whatnot.

Ventilation is good to have.

I also think that if this is on Stroggos, it needs to be more orange in nature, much like the rest of Quake 2, right now it's more towards brown. (Quake 2 is also a great deal more orange in 3d accelerated mode than in software, I think I never played it in software, I already had a voodoo1 12mb when it came out.)

Perhaps also include some debris from marines, like a crashed pod with a corpse in it, some war damage(busted walls, a hole in the ceiling from orbital bombing or the like, piles of dirt/dust)

Windows to the outside especially, even if its just upward, Quake 2 was one of the first games that made me feel like I was really on another far distant planet, and not just some place for fighting. While without logical exits or common household items about the place, it still gave me a feeling of something else than me fighting having gone on there.

Just don't add chairs or those things, the Strogg built it, not humans. They don't need rest or entertainment.

Last edited by voodoochopstiks on 07-19-2005 12:25 PM, edited 2 times in total.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 12:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Rep seems to be forgetting this is a Quake 2 map with a Quake 2 theme. I dont remember lockers and fire extinguishers on an alien Planet called "stroggos".

Also, FYI, this is the level of detail i have to "beat", not Doom 3's:

I don't remember Stroggos being green.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quicky model, second day. Ignore the hands, there is some strange FOV stuff going on making them look too skinny. Cookies for anyone able to guess who she is.

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 12:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sort of a strange Angle, hard to tell. Maybe Elexis Sinclair? But the pants don't fit at all, hm.. Also rep, I'm not sure I understand your thing about Stroggos being green?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 12:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I fail to see how people are saying my level is dull when its a WIP shot of a single room :| Have you seen the outdoor section with the water and the shrubs and blood? No? Ok :icon32:

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not finding it dull, but you asked for more suggestions. I also want to press the issue that while it looks very good, it is a bit monotonous and repeating, at least from what I've seen so far. I think some of my suggestions might amend this. And it's also rather hard to guess that you have a outdoor section with shrubs and blood when you've done nothing to suggest/show this :D. Good luck with the map, keep us updated with the shots.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think it looks dull :sad:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 12:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

voodoochopstiks wrote:
I'm not finding it dull, but you asked for more suggestions. I also want to press the issue that while it looks very good, it is a bit monotonous and repeating, at least from what I've seen so far. I think some of my suggestions might amend this. And it's also rather hard to guess that you have a outdoor section with shrubs and blood when you've done nothing to suggest/show this :D. Good luck with the map, keep us updated with the shots.

No, instead I post WIP shots of an area ;) I've already changed a lot. Decals are much more varied, that one panel in the middle of the long wall is gone and replaced with a little light up water techno feature complete with fragment program/fence etc.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 12:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't say it was dull, but it helps to break up the area. Since the stroggs have such similar architecture and equipment as us, it would be logical that they would have a fire extinguisher. An evil fire extinguisher.

One thing I doubt they'd have would be a warning sign in English that says, "Watch your step." :lol:

Edit: Oh here's something that could help... How many colors are in your specular maps?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 01:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I already know about the benefits of colour specular Vs. greysacel, but colour doesn't "always" win over B&W.

The strogg levels in VQ2 have English writing around them, go play it again ;)

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Always wondered about that. Here you are, on a strange planet with mind-bogglingly alien, uh, aliens and still they scream: "Trespasser!"

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seven-of-nine @ rep's 'guest who'

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
I already know about the benefits of colour specular Vs. greysacel, but colour doesn't "always" win over B&W.

Certainly was the case in Sin City

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah Kat, I figured something from star trek for some reason, but then dismissed that idea since I've never really watched star trek and probably would have no idea what I was talking about. Maybe it was the pant legs that gave it away?

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 07-19-2005 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That was the first thing i thought of.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 07-20-2005 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

voodoochopstiks wrote:
.. Maybe it was the pant legs that gave it away?
It's probably supposed to be a cowboy but until rep say's what it is we're just guessing.! But yeah it's the straight and clean lines, unless it's bad modelling.. hehe ;)

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 07-20-2005 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just testing the displacement system in Source, you can make some wierd stuff here...

[lvlshot]http://www.zfight.com/misc/images/maps/pn3/pn3_01.jpg[/lvlshot]

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 07-20-2005 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot, I've always thought the HL2 engine would suite your style really well. Have you made any complete maps in it yet?

That thing looks really... uh... interesting. :P what is it?

Last edited by SonicClang on 07-26-2005 09:26 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-20-2005 09:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot, does HL2 allow multiple gravity fields (i.e. walk along a wall in one room and a floor in the next like prey?)

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 07-20-2005 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ Sonic, yea, mentioned on the page before, this (its a CSS map)

The pic above is more a test of using the terrain system in Source, I was thinking of making a HL2 DM map using the theme I used in my PN2 map for Q3, since I like the yellow light and the fog...

@ Odi, hmm... I don't know. I haven't tried that, and I've seen none. And I'm also sure that valve would have used it in some map inside Hl2 if it was possible within HL2s own ent sphere... I think its possible in a mod, its really not that hard I think. Serious Sam has some serious gravity flips ;)

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 07-21-2005 06:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So did Ocarina of Time.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-23-2005 10:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lil more progress on that concept map, I think I may convert it to either a D3 Singleplayer map in the end.

[lvlshot]http://www.planetquake.com/bkp/scrotch/scrsp4.jpg[/lvlshot]

[lvlshot]http://www.planetquake.com/bkp/scrotch/scrsp3.jpg[/lvlshot]

Last edited by ScrotcH' on 07-23-2005 05:18 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 07-23-2005 11:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is more than stunning... That would look amazing with a rockey surrounding and dust clouds everywhere... God damn, i would play that map. :up:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-23-2005 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks, thats actually what Im planning, its built into the side of a large mountain/cliff. Im trying to make the terrain in maya, but Im not too famliar with the program so it may take a lil bit to get the hang of things before I can add that in to the map.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.