Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-03-2009 09:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sock wrote:
cool stuff

That's looking nice. I'll try to give it a look soon. (You know, you could make a thread, rather than tucking this away in the screenshots thread, which some people may not check regularly?)

o'dium wrote:
if its an eye sore

It's not. At least not in my opinion.

To me, this is sort of like the wiring thing. Some people seem to have a sort of virtual set of measuring tools in their head, and low tolerance for anything that doesn't seem to fit those measurements. Not sayin' this is necessarily good or bad...just that it is.

My "that's not right" alarm isn't sounding at all, in this case. For one thing, there are a huge variety of brick sizes, above and beyond your standard brick, but more importantly, the scene just looks good. It looks right. If the brick texture were scaled up or down to the extent that you could see the difference in pixel density, then that would probably do it, but barring that...nah, looks good to me.

Just my $0.02.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-03-2009 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can't measure this stuff precisely - making everything to exact scale in a game with 90° FOV and linear perspective comes out looking all wrong. Doors look cramped and halls are tiny and ceilings are low and details are all microscopic and busy, because we should be seeing those things with nearly twice the FOV (seriously, hold your hands out and wiggle them, and see how far apart you can hold them while staring straight ahead without losing sight of them).

So, we have big bricks and high ceilings and really thick wires and characters with little heads and big feet. If it looks right, leave it.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-03-2009 10:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Wow, are you guys really on about the bricks in my shots? Ok... erm, if its an eye sore I can change it, just give me a final scale?

It doesn't bother me. I was just giving info.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 01-03-2009 06:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think the bricks look good and overall that entire area looks nice odium. the conduit stick out a little but only because of its color, imo.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-03-2009 06:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the overall shot looks good o'dium, move on and work on the rest of the map, tweak the details later if need be.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 01-06-2009 03:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well Happy New Year All!

I bring gifts of pic's, gives of sound and gifts of... Well that's it really. But come on, a gift is a gift! First of all, I want to introduce you to the new hand/arm models. Feast your year 2009 eyes on these puppies:

Image Image Image

Well, why the change? A few of you had a few nasty things to say about our old hands. That we copied CS:S's style, they wasn't original etc etc... Well yeah, ok, that's true. Many people thought they were fine, but a few really didn't like them and wanted something original. So we went back to the drawing board and came up with these. Now these ARE WIP, I'm sure you understand, so don't take them as final just yet...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-06-2009 03:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

me like. the vains on the forearms look a little off.. but thats just nit picking, the gloves look wicked, like how the trigger finger is exposed. your new modeler looks to be very skilled indeed.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-06-2009 04:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What software was used to create those arms/gloves? Care to share a quick overview of the workflow to create those high poly models?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 01-06-2009 05:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, base mesh was done in Max, of course, and then rendered with a lot of subdivision inside of zBrush. A lot of the detail was done by hand (if you excuse the pun), with custmer filters and masks.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 01-06-2009 10:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
the vains on the forearms look a little off

Looks natural to me, as does the musculature. Good work, o'dium.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-06-2009 11:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh ffs

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 01-07-2009 04:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, dont worry chap. We had some comments on finger length and all sorts. It all depends on YOUR hand what YOU think :p

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-07-2009 06:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

haha, i hadnt noticed but now that you mention it, the ring and pinky look a tad too short :owned:

edit: nm, i was looking at the middle shot and didnt take into account that the fingers are bent slightly <3

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 01-07-2009 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks good.
palms , especially bottom of the hand seem to be a bit too thick for those fingers?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-07-2009 08:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been crawling lvlworld for inspiration trying to come up with something to break up the repetition here.

This wall isn't quite what I'm envisioning but maybe some quake vets can help me out here.

As you may or may not know, this is a map for Call of Duty 4 and I'm trying to get a Quake 2 chunky gritty feel going on. I can't for the life of me come up with a way to break up this repetition in a way that looks good to me.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Came back later and came up with this.

Still looking for suggestions though.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 01-07-2009 11:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

can you make some of the wall look damaged

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-08-2009 12:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah I can slap some decals on and rough it up in places a bit.

I'm thinking maybe have some wires hanging from the top and a blood splatter or two on the mid part of the wall.

Maybe a few rust decals and a grungy dirt to put over a couple lights to make them look dirtier than other lights.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 01-08-2009 01:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The problem I'm seeing is that you are making the level very modular, but using the pieces in a much, much to average way. That wall looks perfectly fine to my eyes... If its halved. So try and do something to break it up. Pipework, gratings, these are things Quake 2 has.

EDIT: WTF is midular lol?

Last edited by o'dium on 01-08-2009 02:34 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-08-2009 02:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

add a grate to one tile, have a light broken in another (including lightsource). put a box or 2 before another part.

plus ambient lighting should break the tone a lot

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-08-2009 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why make it such a long solid wall? Add an alcove, or a doorway (even if it doesn't open), or a piece of machinery, or a window, or a bulkhead, or a fenced off area full of pipes and wires, or a storage area with crates, or a.... well, hopefully you get the point.

I agree with o'dium that you're being too modular and making your map look like a bunch of chunks of walls and cloning them to make bigger segments. That works on short areas, but try to add more individual, unique brushwork instead.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-08-2009 08:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Thanks a ton guys :)

The reason things are so modular is because the CoD 4 engine loves prefabs. Instead of having redundant geometrical data, you can make a prefab, use it all over the place, and the clones will reference the original data so you only store it once.

But I agree. The pipes/crate storage/door/etc... should be added in to break it up.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-08-2009 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hay are you making bumpmaps for ya q2 textures?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-08-2009 01:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no. I seriously suck ass at using photo editing software.

It would really help things stand out though for those people who like to turn on frivolous effects like normal mapping and specular mapping.

Personally I find extra effects like those to be distracting when trying to snipe.

From an artistic viewpoint, I think normal maps and specular maps should be made for these textures and the resolutions should be bumped up. But I can't bother evil to change these as he's been kind enough to give me permission to port these over to CoD 4.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-08-2009 03:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So something along the lines of this (with better brushwork/texturing of course)

I tried a door but it felt out of place because this is kind of like the back of the facility so there shouldn't be a ton of doors.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-09-2009 02:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if it's the back, maybe a huge garagedoor - that wont open, ofcourse - used for loading.

(unloading would be in the white zone)

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-09-2009 05:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or maybe some industrial type generators or massive AC units or something like that.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-15-2009 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A small section from the second map of my Q4 single player project.

I'm having trouble finding the time to work on it, but I will finish this thing eventually!

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-15-2009 06:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looking great! very q4. nice atmosphere, throw us some more shots plz :)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 01-16-2009 01:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks good chap. The only poor thing I can see is the gun hand which is no fault of your own. :(

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 01-18-2009 03:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, first off heres the new O37 clip texture. I wasn't happy with how low res the old one was we I went back and remade the entire weapons texture, so it matched up:

Secondly, heres the first look at our marauder race in the game:

Finally, we just made it to the final round of the ModDB Top 100 Released/Unrelased mods of 2008! Great news for us. If anybody likes what we are doing can you please vote for us there? Only takes a click:

http://www.moddb.com/games/overdose

Thanks guys.

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 01-18-2009 04:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That clip looks great, just like all the other overdose models I've seen so far!

I'm not sure about the weirdo though, he looks like a mixture of a Strogg and some Warcraft orc to me. But you definitely know that you gotta shoot him when you see him. ;)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 01-18-2009 04:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well the "weirdo" (lol) is supposed to be a human mutant, somebody who has had the worst the radiation from the nuclear wars could have. OD is set in a post poned 2012, the world ends then, but the actual game takes place 150ish years in the future, giving these guys a lot of time to breed, have difficulties and... Well look like this.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-18-2009 04:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Perhaps not the best place to store his knife... may lead to painful accidents if you ummm... get the point.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-18-2009 07:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Concerning "Weirdo" and nuclear radiation mutation, I think it would be interesting to get a kind of Doomish feel to it and have oddities like organs on the outside of the body. Maybe an extra limb or two and a modified skeletal structure with fused joints or collapsed bones.

And dont forget the tumors!

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 01-18-2009 07:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Clip's pretty slick...
The guy on the concept, looks like some strange zombie-pirate... =)

Last edited by Hipshot on 01-19-2009 12:27 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.