Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Claustrophobopolis Redux - AXQ1DM2

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Claustrophobopolis Redux - AXQ1DM2

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-29-2015 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Since I finished my previous map AXDM1, it inspired me to play DM2 from Quake 1. Looking around I couldn't find any really good, polished conversions of this map for Quake 3.
So I took it upon myself to port this map properly. I shuffled the items around to better ballance the map, and encourage more movement. Unless there are any glaring bugs that anyone points out, this one is basically done. I didn't want to spend too much time on it as it isn't really my map. Enjoy :)

Download

Last edited by AndehX on 05-06-2015 07:56 AM, edited 1 time in total.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-30-2015 05:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty dangerous map, huh? :) I find myself quite aware of the narrow halls and lava whetever where you look :) I did not see so much traps in one map, even that small size :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-30-2015 05:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah the traps make it a really fun map to play with 2 or 3 friends. Its a great laugh!

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 05-01-2015 08:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Swelt did a remake of this map...in case you wanna look at it, since you said you couldn't find any polished ones

https://ws.q3df.org/map/nodm7/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 01:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is the map so dark? The screenshots are pretty much black with hints of red for me.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 04:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's only screenshots, real in-game rendering is much brighter :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 04:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Is the map so dark? The screenshots are pretty much black with hints of red for me.

you might wanna increase your monitors brightness then, the screenshots look fine for me

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 04:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah no, it's not the monitor. You're the only one I have this problem with. It's also the same on various different devices so it's definitely not the monitor.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 05:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well it looks perfectly fine for me. Sometimes with TN based monitors, sitting with your eye level lower than the top of the monitor can make things look exceedingly dark. Try putting your eyes level with the top of your monitor.

Heres a couple more screenshots of some updates i've done. added lava beams and normal maps:

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It does look rather dark for me as well. Dismissing someone's opinion because it looks fine on your end is a good way to not get any feedback at all.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 06:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's what I always tell customers: hey, it works on my machine!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wasn't neccessarily dismissing his opinion. The map is supposed to be dark, but it isn't THAT dark. I spent quite a bit of money on monitor calibration tools so I know that on my screen at least, the map looks the way I want it to. If it's too dark on anyone else's screen then that will simply be down to their screen not being calibrated properly. That's all im saying.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 07:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it's bright enough to see what's in corners of the map and dark enough to not overbright your eyes. It is dark map, but yet not that dark to go blind while playing. To screenshots - they are always darker than in-game view as players often set up gamma correction that lights up entire screen.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 08:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's definitly very dark... on my high end profi P-IPS panel. :D

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but you can still see without issue though yeah?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On my System its very dark too...

Screenshot without Gamma:

Screenshot with 50% (!) Gamma.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 10:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It definitely does not look that dark, no idea what your gamma is set to, but its definitely not default.

The second screenshot looks just a little brighter than how the maps looks on my screen

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 10:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here is how it looks on my screen with r_gamma set to 1 (default)

I took a photo of the screen, so that you can see exactly how I see it:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ooops... I forgot to send out my last post!
I checked again with fresh installed q3 and its not as dark as in my 1st screenshot.. sorry bout that.
Looks like the brightness is set to 30 or something in standart settings.. I dont know.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 04:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kinda hard to judge from a photo, but to me, that looks awfully bright. The shotgun is basically glowing, and the doom face is so bright it's hard to make out the point where the "glass" meets the bottom edge of his mask.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 06:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its not perfect, but its a rough idea

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-05-2015 09:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I take a photo of my screen (saying photo, not screenshot), it will be that bright. It's due to sensitivity of camera. Don't look exactly much at the brigtnest as camera will always overbright screen. I see it is really brighter than screenshots and I don't need actualy to see photo of screen, just test it myself :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-05-2015 10:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My point is, the map isnt dark enough to make it unplayable :P

Im going to release an update soon, so ill brighten it up a bit.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-05-2015 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok so i've updated the download, added lava beams and normal/specular maps for anyone using ioquake3 with the opengl2 renderer.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.