Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Missing sound error

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Missing sound error

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-26-2016 10:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello, all. Been a dozen years since my last post here, had to make a new account. Still the same RojaN as always.

I've been making my first map after all this time, and there are a couple of things bugging me - I'll stick to one issue per post.

I created a Quake-style wind tunnel and initially I used the Id sounds for development, now I've got my own wind sounds in there to avoid Id's copyright, but Q3 reports WARNING: failed to load sound sounds/misc/windfly.wav!

Well that's the old sound that I removed already. I've done a test where I deleted all the brushes and entities in the area, to no avail. I've opened the .map and the .bsp in a text editor and run a search; not found. How does its memory of this file persist? It's a minor thing, really more of an embarrassment for people looking at the console "Ahh, I see what you did there," but I want it gone. Searched for noise, .wav, misc, speaker, windily, all return no results or results that are not relevant. If it were attached to another brush on the other side of the map the text search should have shown it!

Is there some kind of caching going on? AAARRRRGGHHHHH!

Thanks for listening.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-26-2016 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The correct path is: "sound/misc/windfly.wav" not "sounds/misc/windfly.wav". :D

The windfly sound is hard coded in the target_push entity. With "spawnflags 1" (Bouncepad) you can only turn the windfly sound into a bouncepad one.
Since this old Q1 entity was never used in the original Q3 stock maps, the windfly sound was also never released in any of the Q3 Paks.

If you want to play your own sound, just attach a target_speaker to your trigger_multiple, parallel with your target_push. (speaker & target_push with same targetname)
In this case Q3 will play both sounds. Your custom sound via target_speaker and windfly via target_push.

I strongly recomment to use this sound as windfly: http://sst13.net/maps/dev/windfly.wav
It's a modified version of the original Q1 windfly sound and not very loud. So your custom sound will be heared.
I think nobody will rip your head off for using this because of copyrights. ;) It's for Quake and the community! :D

If you still have some trouble with your wind tunnel, I've got some experience with the whole stuff and can make you a small sample map...

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 05-26-2016 09:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-27-2016 01:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you both.

After reading your post Theftbot, I went back to my tutorial test map and created a simple jumped. Sure enough, that was enough to generate the error in Q3. And here I thought I had an orphaned reference, and it was Id all along! ROTFL!

Thanks for the link, sst13. Looks very straightforward.

As to the sound, I had a project long ago that involved recording wind up on a hilltop, so some distortion of that got me where I wanted to be. Given the choice, I prefer an in-house solution.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-29-2016 12:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Strange. I tried the method in sst13's linked article. It worked insomuch that the default jumppad sound is no longer present, but instead the sound of hits deflected is present, like a bullet hitting armor. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or that's as good as it gets.

Have you used this method without any sound but the one of your choosing?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-29-2016 11:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

RojaN Returned wrote:
... but instead the sound of hits deflected is present ...

That's the way Q3 tells you there is a missing sound. ;)

It's not mentioned in the tutorial, but you need to place the windfly.wav in your pk3.
Seens like http://ws.q3df.org/ is down atm, but there was also a sample map download of the sound_jumppad tutorial, including this windfly.wav
I gave this wav to Bliccer who made this tutorial a few years ago... :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-30-2016 10:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just use a target_position, not a target_push.
the target_push ent is purely historical, and wasn't used in Q3.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-31-2016 04:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:

You can't use custom sounds with trigger_push -> target_position.
But with trigger_multiple -> target_push -> target_position you can.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-01-2016 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
dONKEY wrote:

You can't use custom sounds with trigger_push -> target_position.
But with trigger_multiple -> target_push -> target_position you can.

This. Working like a charm now. Thanks to all.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.