Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [BETA] 13hell "Hell's Gate - Extended"

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [BETA] 13hell "Hell's Gate - Extended"

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-15-2021 08:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hell's Gate - Extended

This is an extended remix of good old q3tourney3 "Hell's Gate"
I started this map 6 years ago and thanks to Corona I had a lot of free time these days to poop out a beta. :D

The RL area is now a little bit bigger:

The lava got drained:

A sublevel is connecting all the new parts:

A complete new part with the LG and RA:

Actual itemset:

Itemset generator: http://sst13.de/itemset/ if you want to create you own set suggestion.

Things on my todo list:
- location marker
- QL version

It would be nice to get some feedback related to the items.

Also a big question: All the little roofs are a bit campy.
[ ] campers gonna camp (actual status)
[ ] clip the roofs off
[ ] put some slick on the roofs, so people won't stay too long

Download Q3A version Beta1 (3 MB)
PK3: map-13hell_b1.pk3
ZIP: map-13hell_b1.zip

QL version here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2497100236

Have fun testing... sst13

Last edited by sst13 on 05-27-2021 05:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-16-2021 06:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Surprising to see a release like this in 2021 :)
Not any less welcome though! :up:

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 05-17-2021 05:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh wow, this seems quiet fun =D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-17-2021 05:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gave it a playthrough. It's a lot larger than I expected, or at least, it feels bigger than what I anticipated.

The expanded area's feel pretty natural, not like they were ducttaped to an existing level. The bots tend to strongly favor the old sections of the level though, which draws a lot of gameplay away from the opposite (newly constructed) end of the map, but I guess this is less of a problem with human players, seeing how the RL and RA are located there.

I haven't actually tried, but I guess the jump from one end of the gap to the other under the MH bridge is possible? If so, you could consider adding a floating powerup under there. Perhaps a Quad Damage, or a Haste if the Quad is overpowered.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-17-2021 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes the bots act a little bit nostalgic. I thinks it's the big open area attracting them. I'm going to try adding some extra spawnpoints for the bots in the new area.

You can cirle jump to the other platform in the big fog pit. Or make a bunny-hop from the top rim of the little stairs. (I made the distance perfect for this method)

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 05-17-2021 07:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow...that map is beautiful...you managed to pull me away from Cyberpunk! I agree with Eraser on the bot flow, but I'm rather impressed with that layout. I can see myself playing this map quite a bit in the future. I'm a fan of q3tourney3 with more weapons added to it. Fun.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-18-2021 02:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

whoa this looks slick and the nostalgia vibe is strong :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-19-2021 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Surprising to see a release like this in 2021 :)
Not any less welcome though! :up:

Wow... I just dropped in to LEM to discover a new map :D
I just love the 'discovery' in these so downloading sst13 and thank you :up:

Edit: back after a good run about... Nice work sst13.. It's so nice to get some Q3 for a change.
My only thought was, like Eraser, the addition of a floating Power Up and I must try your ".... You can circle jump to the other platform in the big fog pit. Or make a bunny-hop from the top rim of the little stairs. (I made the distance perfect for this method)...." next time I'm in your world :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-21-2021 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Outstanding!

Great extension of the map while keeping it in style. Awesome.

The YA-rooms being dead-ends is not really great, guess you're working on that.

In shot-3 of yours there is too little detail brush-work to the scene. Needs more Eye-Candy here.

Last edited by Ferrao10 on 05-21-2021 11:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-21-2021 11:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
Also a big question: All the little roofs are a bit campy.
[ ] campers gonna camp (actual status)
[ ] clip the roofs off
[ ] put some slick on the roofs, so people won't stay too long

That's the way it has always been with this map, hasn't it? You could always camp it out on those roofs.
I'd clip them off, 30 degree-style or slick as you suggest.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-27-2021 05:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thx for all the comments!

Ok I think i'm clipping all the little roofs but keep the 2 big ones besides the big tower in the main room.
Eat clips campers! :D

Yes the dead ends at the YAs is a bit "problematic". I tried a jumppad there, but it looked kinda awful.
I raised the floor of the chamber extra a little bit. So if someone attacks you from below, you have at least a little bit of height advantage.

Best method for getting the YA is dropping down from the curved bridge, grab it and leave down the stairs.
You can also rocketjump from the 50hp bubble in case of an emergency.

In the QL version: for the gametypes with no items I made a teleporter at the YA spot.

QL version here btw: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2497100236

I'm a littel bit confused that nobody mentioned the easter egg yet. What is Klesk holding.....? :eek:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-27-2021 11:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
I'm a littel bit confused that nobody mentioned the easter egg yet.

The where what now? :eek:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-29-2021 04:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
sst13 wrote:
I'm a littel bit confused that nobody mentioned the easter egg yet.

I guess it's the custom Klesk statue holding a globe like thing resembling a little ...world ... inside a Quake 3 frame making that a ... *puts sunglasses on* ... Quake 3 world? *YEEEEAAAAA....*

Other than that, this is a beautifully done map, congrats on that, seriously!

EDIT: Your Itemset Generator is a magnificent thing of work! Is there a chance to turn this into an offline tool for any other map as well? :drool:
About the dead ends at the YAs: I instinctively used a rocket jump when I noticed the curved bridge above, which in turn is seen by everyone who looks around there to see if this really is a dead end. So no problem with this area, at least in my opinion.

EDIT 2: (first post in more than four years, and I still screw up) I meant to say, this is a beautiful map, and the eater egg is a nice touch, too. The "other than that" shouldn't have implied anything negative, sorry if it looked like this.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-29-2021 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

monaster wrote:
I guess it's the custom Klesk statue holding a globe like thing resembling a little ...world ... inside a Quake 3 frame making that a ... *puts sunglasses on* ... Quake 3 world? *YEEEEAAAAA....*

And the winner is... monaster! :D

Here comes your prize: Download link for the Itemset Generator.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-29-2021 10:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm checking out the QL version now :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-30-2021 12:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

monaster wrote:
Eraser wrote:

Niiiice :cool:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-08-2021 05:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't even have Q3A installed anymore (although I do have a CD from ... checks notes... 22 years ago), but just wanted to say this aesthetic is great and checks all the boxes for hardcore nostalgic quake3 vibes :up: :up: Nicely done!

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 06-15-2021 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool map! I have a few suggestions about item placement in order to foster mobility throughout the map (I played it like 1 hour):

Also, I would connect the two platforms below the MH. It is certainly cool but bots don't use it (and you might want to cater for offline players too).

And I would raise the arch in front of the jumpads shown in the green circle in image, so that you can jump straight into the main area (to get the MH, for instance).

All else is fine for me.

Congrats!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-16-2021 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:

And the winner is... monaster! :D

Here comes your prize: Download link for the Itemset Generator.

Yesssss, a winner is me! Thank you for the great prize, I'll be sure to use it wisely. Seriously, thank you!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-19-2021 07:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New Beta #2 available!

@RaspAtan: thx for your suggestions! I already changed some stuff going into your direction.

New:
- raised the clipping of the arch in front of the side jumppads (lowered the JP velocity also a bit)
- made the jump over the big fog pit 16 units shorter (I think an additional bridge would look a bit odd in the pit)
- added 3 shards in the upper passage to the new part of the map
- added 5 health bubbles on the rim of the curved stairs
- made the small ledge stick a little bit more out so you can jump to the 5 bubbles
- added a small clip so you can now jump up to the curved stairs from below

big thx to Longf1ng3er btw...

I also tested the GL in the passage as you suggestet. But the room looked a bit empty then. :dork: And I'm going to put the RL at this position in the CTF version of this map.
I hope I didn't put too many shards and 5hp bubbles in the map. Is it now a bit overloaded?

Download Q3A version Beta2 (3MB)
PK3: map-13hell_b2.pk3
ZIP: map-13hell_b2.zip

sst13...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-20-2021 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I checked out beta 2 yesterday and would say the changes have improved the map/game-play IMO.

In answer to your question, "Is it now a bit overloaded?", I will suggest no it hasn't been overloaded.

Nice work sst13...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-13-2021 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Absolutely gorgeous map. I don't know if I'm inspired or discouraged. Lol. One issue I'm having, though I'm sure it's on my end, there are black lines in the skybox? I remember this being a graphics card issue some years back. I messed around with my graphics driver settings but no luck. Just fyi, it may effect some people. I'm on an nvidia GTX2060.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-08-2022 08:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New Beta #3 available!

Ok, I only updated the sky. :)

The old sky was a skybox with a b/w gradient and clouds with blendfunc filter on top. I made this to prevent the HOM on the bottom of the skybox.
The new sky is made of clouds and a portal-sky containing a b/w gradient box filtering on top of the clouds. Works the other way around, but looks exactly the same.

Would be nice if someone can confirm that the black lines are gone and no other bugs have appeared instead. :rolleyes:
If everything works fine I'm going to make this version the final one later.

Download Q3A version Beta3 (3MB)
PK3: map-13hell_b3.pk3
ZIP: map-13hell_b3.zip

sst13...

Edit:

@scythe: There was an option in the nvidia control panel called: "Enable conformant OpenGL texture clamp behaviour" to remove the black lines by changing the clamp method in your driver.
I remember activating this with my old GTX560 to get rid of the lines. Then I replaced the card with a GTX1050 and the driver setting was not available anymore. But the lines were still gone. :D Maybe the setting was still stored somewhere...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-09-2022 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks perfect to me. The black lines on the sky are indeed gone. Beautiful map!

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 02-09-2022 04:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The download link here isn't working for me, for beta 3. Could you update the link from your site on that section for this map, sst13, so I can download it from there? Thank you!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-09-2022 06:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@v1l3: It's updated -> http://sst13.de/beta

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 02-10-2022 05:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you, sir! You know I love this map!! I have to agree with Fjogg's post (on other map topic) on you updating your site to HTTPS as well.

...I, long ago, had to have Lukin help me set my site up when I had one. I'm happy to see anyone having a Quake 3 dedicated site these days! Keep it up!!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-11-2022 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I activated SSL on my site, then the whole site exploded in a big fireball... :D
You can reach the site with http and https now. If https works fine im going to force all http requests into https.

-> https://sst13.de

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-11-2022 07:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HTTPS works.
It does warn about not all content being secure though. I think this is because your shortcut icon is linked via http (http://sst13.net/13.ico)

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 02-11-2022 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really neat map. I love how you added onto an already nice and clean looking atmosphere. The area around the circle staircase is especially tasty!

When I saw the top down screenshot my mind immediately thought of CTF. Maybe there's an interesting CTF map in there with a bit of tweaking.

Good job keeping the mapping scene alive. :D I actually launched radiant the other day, so maybe I'll do a bit work too. Thanks for the inspiration.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-12-2022 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
When I saw the top down screenshot my mind immediately thought of CTF. Maybe there's an interesting CTF map in there with a bit of tweaking.

I had CTF already in my mind when working out the layout. :D

Something like this:

If the center area is a bit too of a bottleneck I'll add 2 paths over the lava areas. Also 2 jumppads in the center to reach the upper ledge, lust like in the normal version.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-29-2022 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Final Release!

Download Q3A version (3MB)
PK3: map-13hell.pk3
ZIP: map-13hell.zip

QL version here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2497100236

Have fun!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-29-2022 10:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool! Congrats on the release!

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 04-30-2022 01:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love this map!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-02-2022 01:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've never been a fan of the original, but this is a vast improvement!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.