Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        So what *hasn't* been done?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 06-15-2005 07:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The inside of a PC? :shrug:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 06-15-2005 08:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Figures. Going to be hard to come up with something that hasn't been done in one form or another.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 06-15-2005 08:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A ctf map where one side is flipped upside down and the middle is turned sideways, so you can change gravity. :icon25:

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 06-15-2005 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah i read your post after i posted :icon32:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-15-2005 11:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, more people tend to do basic maps but Q3 still has a bit of power in it yet. How about a more detailed map using more map model functionality? You could do some VERY clean and nice looking maps like that.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 02:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

- land of the dwarfs style, where the player is OVERsized compared to the architecture (opposite of PadMod)
- japanese style (I can only think of one map, the 3w Japan ctf)
- architecture of the future as seen through the eyes of a 50s sci-fi pulp novel cover artist (i.e. all curves and domes and shit)
- sock did the one and only Mayan style map. If Egyptian can be done to death, there's still scope here.
- Venice/Siena/medieval Italian hill town style, full of winding lanes and little bridges. Thought about doing this in q3 many times but instead I'm doing it in an HL2 project.
- I don't think anyone's done 'Maori village' yet
- undersea base
- comedy maps (not sure where the comedy would come in, but hey...)
- map based on human organs, like ctf with one flag in the mouth, the other in the sphincter :lol:

OK, I've run out of ideas...

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 03:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
- japanese style (I can only think of one map, the 3w Japan ctf)

There are more. Don't have any links at hand but they exist.

seremtan wrote:
- architecture of the future as seen through the eyes of a 50s sci-fi pulp novel cover artist (i.e. all curves and domes and shit)

Cool :)

seremtan wrote:
- Venice/Siena/medieval Italian hill town style, full of winding lanes and little bridges.

Maybe a remake of that Venetian level from the original Tomb Raider? Always liked that map...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 04:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually a Q3A remake of UT2K4 Onslaught map Crossfire would rock. One of the best maps I've ever played. Wouldn't even need vehicles.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 05:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
- undersea base

Been done (by me):

I think Painter also did an underwater base map..

Quote:

great idea :) Id love to see a level like that. There are probably plenty of references for that as well.

Quote:
- map based on human organs, like ctf with one flag in the mouth, the other in the sphincter

Levellord did a map that looked like a naked chick.. you could see boobs and ass in the architecture.. it was hillarious. Not realistic - and certainly not set 'inside' a person, but I thought id go ahead and mention it anyway :) I guess that could also count as a comedy map tho :D

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

- plastic / 60s futurism design ( not possible in q3 though. shaders would be a hard thing to do. plus you need lots of tiny curved surfaces for all the rounded edges. otherwise it would not look real. )

- islam stuff ( al hambra, etc... )

- h.r. giger

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 06:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

StormShadow wrote:
Levellord did a map that looked like a naked chick.. you could see boobs and ass in the architecture.. it was hillarious. Not realistic - and certainly not set 'inside' a person, but I thought id go ahead and mention it anyway :) I guess that could also count as a comedy map tho :D

lol... yeah... this was the one with the plasma ejaculation, right? :icon19:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a weird idea once of doing an entire level set in a gigantic tree (redwood?). There could be wooden ramps and a few small treehouse structures. The branches and leaves could be used to provide additional cover. I am still at a fairly low skill level with the editor, so I couldn't pull this off, but maybe someone else already has.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

evok stuff, hm? i think there was such a level a year or two back. :)

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 01:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Creating a map inside of a moving vehicle would be cool...Might even make some decent gameplay between seats and stuff?

edit1: And if you hit the radio in some way, the music changes...
edit2: And when you hit the steering wheel the care moves, causing the map to jump...

:paranoid:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 01:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

surgeon62 wrote:
I had a weird idea once of doing an entire level set in a gigantic tree (redwood?). There could be wooden ramps and a few small treehouse structures. The branches and leaves could be used to provide additional cover. I am still at a fairly low skill level with the editor, so I couldn't pull this off, but maybe someone else already has.

That Could make a good map.

Think of the tree as something hollow, with the textures etc all correct obviously, and seperate platforms all around the place. Kinda like those "inside tree" levels on Donkey Kong Country 3?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 01:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Like this:

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
Creating a map inside of a moving vehicle would be cool...Might even make some decent gameplay between seats and stuff?

edit2: And when you hit the steering wheel the care moves, causing the map to jump...

[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/Inside_Car.jpg[/lvlshot]

See, under the seats you can have a small and bumpy passage with jumpads as the gas/break pedal to the arm rest, and a third *floor* as the arm rest on the doors and dash.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 01:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Like this:

ahhh, the memories. :tear:

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 01:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, that's wicked

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-16-2005 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How about an old school Buck Rogers kind of futuristic map... with Van de Graf generators, flying saucers, ray guns, dynamos and that Lost in Space robot thing... "Danger, danger, Mr. Robinson!"

A very pretty Myst or Rivendell Elvish village.

Lunar landing map... with the lunar module and buggy, some asteroid craters, Armstrong's footprint in the dirt, a piece of cheese.

I've thought of doing this one myself once... the inside of a clock with a bunch of rotating cogs and sprockets, swinging pendulums, chains moving up and down as elevators.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-17-2005 01:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:

lol yeah, CTF in a mosque, where every flag capture flushes an md3 Qu'ran down the toilet bwahahahahahahaaaahuehdeudih8233h

surgeon62 wrote:

Hm I had this idea once or twice too, something like Tokara Forest in UT2K4, but I don't think the Q3 engine is up to it frankly. Plus it would require a load of external modelling to look good and mostly be models.

bork[e] wrote:

I could have sworn someone's done this. It rings a bell sort of. But it's just a variation on the PadMod idea.

obsidian wrote:
How about an old school Buck Rogers kind of futuristic map... with Van de Graf generators, flying saucers, ray guns, dynamos and that Lost in Space robot thing... "Danger, danger, Mr. Robinson!"

I think I mentioned this earlier. It's probably all the curves that makes it a challenge.

Quote:
I've thought of doing this one myself once... the inside of a clock with a bunch of rotating cogs and sprockets, swinging pendulums, chains moving up and down as elevators.

PadMod?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-17-2005 03:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

An actual good looking eQ2 map. :p

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-17-2005 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
lol yeah, CTF in a mosque, where every flag capture flushes an md3 Qu'ran down the toilet bwahahahahahahaaaahuehdeudih8233h

Frankly, I don't find this funny.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 06-17-2005 11:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Me either.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-17-2005 04:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
seremtan wrote:

Frankly, I don't find this funny.

It wasn't supposed to be funny, and thanks for missing the whole point of that remark, which was to draw attention to the fact that making Islamic looking Q3A maps might be considered offensive to Muslims in the current climate.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-17-2005 06:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
It wasn't supposed to be funny, and thanks for missing the whole point of that remark, which was to draw attention to the fact that making Islamic looking Q3A maps might be considered offensive to Muslims in the current climate.

Well obviously, sarcasm doesn't translate very well in a written format which is why I may have missed your point (and looks like I'm not the only one, you've confused poor Lenard as well).

Back on topic, I can see how making a map of a Mosque would be offensive, but I think the suggestion was refering to something more like an Arabian kind of palace... like Prince of Persia.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-17-2005 09:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chinese architecture (which is the source for the Japanese). I know of one map based on this, but there are other things you could do such as a hutong map which would be the rough equivalent of the Italian town map. Hutongs are districts of narrow alleys, often in quite a confused jumble. The only problem with such a map is that it would be flat because they're all ground floor and no first.

In a similar idea to surgeon62's gigantic tree, you could do the same in a giant pagoda.

Somewhere like the Forbidden City in Beijing would be too large as a single map, but you could use parts of it.

You could perhaps design a CTF map around a couple of siheyuan (courtyard houses) which would be the bases. You could add such features as pailous (ornamental gates).

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 06-17-2005 11:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got an idea, but i'm not telling. It hasn't been done though me thinks.
*goes to collect info from the obscure corners of the internet*

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-18-2005 07:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaziganthe wrote:
Fjoggs wrote:
An actual good looking eQ2 map. :p

Hey, screw you buddy :icon32:

tehe :icon30:

brushmangler
brushmangler
PostPosted: 06-18-2005 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reading R E Feist i suggest a Cho-Ja hive (these cho-ja's are 20 foot tall ants :D )

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-18-2005 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As Kaziganthe said 'q3 engine' I thought I mention that in the Quake3 mod Urban Terror there are several of these styles done in a fashion.
Pext wrote:

In base Urban Terror there's (more arabic than islam) Riyadh, Algiers and Sands (last one complete with Saddam Hussein posters) and several 3rd party maps with arabic influences like Sliema and Druglord 2: Harambique.
seremtan wrote:
- Venice/Siena/medieval Italian hill town style, full of winding lanes and little bridges.

Again in Urban Terror base maps there is Casa, a 'spanish/mexican' village, Abbey 'italian' monastery and Golgatha which is on a slope. And I know one mapper who has started to work on a Venice map but that's a hard mission to finish.
And oddly for a reality mod there's a space station map called Mastermind but it's rather boxy, has none of that swoopy 50tish feel. One map that does have a solid 50tish feel is Crossing 30, but in another style - it's soviet style industrial complex full of agit-prop poster and one of the coolest maps I know of. In similar vein by the same mapper there's Eagle which is based on 'Where Eagles Dare' complete which a Richard Burton radio message. And finally I want to mention Toxic which is a 30tish german industrial place where you'd expect Peter Lorre to step whistling out of a dark corner anytime.

Both the mod and the 3rd party maps can be found at either http://www.act-of-war.de (Europe) or http://www.ut.map-depot.com (North America) where you can also find my 'industrial warehouse' map Oildepot but it's sorta turned inside-out set in a cliff valley.

I hope this maps can provide inspiration to make up new stuff as I think it's always a evolutionary process :)

What I haven't seen is a 'body from the inside' map like that classic Raquel Welch movie Fantastic Voyage :D

cheers

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-18-2005 04:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anwulf wrote:
Chinese architecture (which is the source for the Japanese). I know of one map based on this, but there are other things you could do such as a hutong map which would be the rough equivalent of the Italian town map. Hutongs are districts of narrow alleys, often in quite a confused jumble. The only problem with such a map is that it would be flat because they're all ground floor and no first.

In a similar idea to surgeon62's gigantic tree, you could do the same in a giant pagoda.

Somewhere like the Forbidden City in Beijing would be too large as a single map, but you could use parts of it.

You could perhaps design a CTF map around a couple of siheyuan (courtyard houses) which would be the bases. You could add such features as pailous (ornamental gates).

I actually have a bunch of photos of various Chinese architecture that I took while on vacation. Traditional Chinese architecture is really nice. It's too bad that they're tearing a lot of it down to make "modern" commercial buildings instead.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-18-2005 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hr.O wrote:
Reading R E Feist i suggest a Cho-Ja hive (these cho-ja's are 20 foot tall ants :D )

Ah, the Daughter of the Empire series.... you can even add a bunch of those blue glowing balls as a primary source of lighting.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 06-18-2005 07:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hr.O wrote:

Reminds me of the giant praying mantis types in the GOR series.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-18-2005 10:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
I actually have a bunch of photos of various Chinese architecture that I took while on vacation. Traditional Chinese architecture is really nice. It's too bad that they're tearing a lot of it down to make "modern" commercial buildings instead.

From what I've heard, the government should be reining back on demolishing the hutongs. Probably realised they'll be a big draw with all the tourists who'll be coming here for the Olympics in 2008.

I should get some photos of them before I'm transferred from Beijing. They're the one thing I don't have any pictures of.

Did you get out to Xinjiang while you were here?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.